Have DC or Marvel done anything original in a long time?

Like as much as the fanbois get hung up on originality I am pretty sure the answer is "no"
Tagged:

Comments

• For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Impressions I've gotten as someone on the periphery of comics fandom: DC and Marvel have been mostly coasting on the success of their biggest IPs for the last decade or so. But whenever they tried to introduce new IPs, those never sold as well as the already-established ones—so the general public is actively incentivizing them to stay unoriginal.
  • MetaFour said:

Impressions I've gotten as someone on the periphery of comics fandom: DC and Marvel have been mostly coasting on the success of their biggest IPs for the last decade or so. But whenever they tried to introduce new IPs, those never sold as well as the already-established ones—so the general public is actively incentivizing them to stay unoriginal.

I get this feeling with regards to other fandoms too.  (Whether originality itself is a good goal is debatable, but this commentary can apply to anytime someone complains that, for example, "games are getting to derivative and they don't innovate enough".)