Are the Del Tacos in California shitty?

edited 2018-04-28 12:37:20 in General
I have not publicly paroxysmed over how much I love the place in a while, so I wonder: People say it's the poor man's Taco Bell?

IMO Taco Bell has gone to shit. They refuse to bring back the volcano tacos, the best thing they ever offered. Del Taco lacks a similar option but whatever.

Also, it's better than Chipotle or Qdoba.

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    California has better Mexican food in general, so
  • edited 2018-04-28 12:44:00
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Taco Bell was once even better, long before I was born. Like, they fried the shells to order and stuff. This stopped once PepsiCo took over.
  • I keep forgetting del taco is a restaurant and not just a nonsense phrase homestar made up
  • paroxysm

god, what a good word, thank you
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Like Myr said...I think if I were in California, I'd opt for authentic taquerias over Del Taco
  • Yeah if you're in California, going to a generic fake-Mex chain is just such a waste.
  • I'm still salty over a Del Taco replacing the Krispy Kreme in my neighborhood.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Mostly I'm annoyed that I'm not allowed to gush about Del Taco
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Anonus said:

Mostly I'm annoyed that I'm not allowed to gush about Del Taco

Who says you can't?
    I dunno, people on Imgur keep orgasming about In-N-Out Burger and I DON'T LIKE BEEF
    They won't expand here either, gueling my envy
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    listening to people on imgur was your first mistake

but that doesn't sound like a prohibition on gushing about del taco

furthermore: what?
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    I honestly don't know if Taco Bell used to be good or if my tastes just changed.

Everything there just tastes the same as everything else, and when I ask for no lettuce there's always a bunch of lettuce contamination (like little bits from the work area... They could just sweep it off really quick at least before making my order) that ruins what small amount of enjoyment I get from their food anyway.
  • Taco Bell is an atrocity but I am an evil gremlin who will eat anything that has cheese sauce
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I am about to go eat some actual genuine Mexican-style homemade tacos made by my mom

You are jelly
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Last time I ate at Taco Bell I legit wanted to throw up.
    Tachyon said:

the issue is that Imgur is the best image hosting site I know of, and their front page encourages scrolling
    Crystal said:

Last time I ate at Taco Bell I legit wanted to throw up.

I'm sorry

It's gross food
    Anonus said:

Tachyon said:

the issue is that Imgur is the best image hosting site I know of, and their front page encourages scrolling

well yes, but it has some of the worst comment sections of any site i've ever seen

tho this is sort of beside the point
    Their comment sections are very prone to being horrendous yes

Have you been to Taco Bell?
  • edited 2018-04-28 22:27:55
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    no

there are no Taco Bells anywhere around here, the nearest one is like 90 miles away

going by this thread it doesn't sound like i'm missing out
    they no longer offer volcano tacos, so no, you are not
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I am back from eating actual genuine homemade tacos

they were pretty good

Despite this, I must confess I still more or less enjoy Taco Bell although less so than when I was a wee calf.
    one of the reasons i am hesitant to leave this state is because the fast food mexican places might be worse

i just like a quick fix of that stuff, you know? and taco bell, and the fast casual joints, won't do it for me
    oh thank god the UK ones still have them

crystal when you visit tensei you oughta bring some back for us
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Objection! The sauce is contained within the shell (the crust, if you will) of the taco. Therefore, it is actually magma sauce, until the taco has been sufficiently eaten to release the sauce from its shackles, whereupon it becomes lava sauce!
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Anonus said:

oh thank god the UK ones still have them

crystal when you visit tensei you oughta bring some back for us
    I've got other priorities, girl. :P

Objection! The sauce is contained within the shell (the crust, if you will) of the taco. Therefore, it is actually magma sauce, until the taco has been sufficiently eaten to release the sauce from its shackles, whereupon it becomes lava sauce!

⚙ = Nerd
  • Taco Bell is hell on my colon so I stopped going. :/
    it's just nasty
  • I kinda like the taste of them sometimes, but I'd rather have some legit Mexican food and something that won't make my colon angry.
    legit mexican is good, it's just not five minutes from the house, mostly
    there is a place called El Lucerito, Jr. that is a sports bar and is not the best place to go chill
    also it has Pepsi instead of Coke
    Pepsi and Coke taste EXACTLY the same

whenever a customer asks me for a Pepsi i always say "we've got Coke, is that OK?", just to be safe, but they're always fine with it.  A few times they've made a face at me as if to say, "why would i even care about that?"
  • my main conceptualization of imgur's userbase, at least like, people who comment, is that one time I uploaded a picture of something and accidentally set it to public, and my foot was visible in the video, and a guy wrote like a five paragraph screed about how disgusting my toenails were
    Tachyon said:

Pepsi and Coke taste EXACTLY the same

whenever a customer asks me for a Pepsi i always say "we've got Coke, is that OK?", just to be safe, but they're always fine with it.  A few times they've made a face at me as if to say, "why would i even care about that?"
    Maybe the British formula does, but honestly I thought they were pretty similar when I was a kid and did not develop a preference until I was, like, 12 or 13 (that preference being for Pepsi, and, since 2012, Coke)
    Jane said:

my main conceptualization of imgur's userbase, at least like, people who comment, is that one time I uploaded a picture of something and accidentally set it to public, and my foot was visible in the video, and a guy wrote like a five paragraph screed about how disgusting my toenails were

eww

i'm sorry that happened to you

the main page of Imgur seems to be mostly Stuff Internet Nerds Like
    also the occasional "unpopular opinion" (usually something racist or ableist)
    i would honestly not be surprised if the difference between British and American Pepsi turned out to be bigger than the difference between British Pepsi and British Coke

that said i haven't compared any of these drinks side by side
    Anonus said:

racist sloth bear memes
  • edited 2018-04-29 11:24:41
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Anonus said:

also the occasional "unpopular opinion" (usually something racist or ableist)

Tachyon said:

Anonus said:

racist sloth bear memes
    do they count as such
  • edited 2018-04-29 11:26:55
    i overlooked your "unpopular opinion" post before

see also: that damn puffin

NOT UNPOPULAR, as Myr would say
    incidentally wrt: customers either not knowing or not caring about the difference between Coke and Pepsi, i have a similar experience with frappe and Frappuccino

the former is a generic term for an iced coffee, the latter is a specific recipe and a Starbucks trademark

so i figure i should always clarify, "we have a frappe, is that ok?" but i don't think anyone actually cares
    oh I just thought you made your post before mine loaded or something

at any rate I thought I ranted about that damn puffin before
  • edited 2018-04-29 11:56:52
    yeah that was probably what happened, regardless i didn't see it before
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Pepsi and Coke totally taste different, even here. :|

Pepsi is sweeter and... softer, if that makes sense? Coke's more sharp.
    I used to feel that way, and now I feel the other way around
  • They taste slightly different, but honestly I still don't get how anyone manages to have an extremely strong preference.

Then again I drink store brand cola more often than either, or at least I did when I was drinking a lot of cola.