Sorry but the George Lucas "it's like poetry, it rhymes" comment makes sense and is good

And if you'd read Bergson on the nature of repetition instead of watching Stokasla on the humor of rape, you'd know this

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I can't even tell how serious you are when you say things like this.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    100%
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i don't disagree, but i can't tell if this is supposed to be @ anyone here?
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I don't think it's about anyone here.

To that end, though, I'm not sure if it warrants a thread? Subtweeting people we don't know here in full thread form is kind of unnecessary...
  • edited 2018-04-20 23:54:35
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Honestly, the little patterns in Star Wars are one of my favorite things about it.

Cliegg Lars mentions in Attack of the Clones that he and 29 others went to go rescue Shmi from the Sand People (making thirty in total), but only Cliegg and three others survived, and he lost his leg (making four in total, with one crippled).

Two movies later (or four movies earlier), 30 rebel ships arrive at the beginning of the Battle of Yavin: 8 y-wings and 22 x-wings, (making thirty in total).  At the end of the battle, only the Milennium Falcon, Luke's X-Wing, Wedge's X-Wing, and one Y-wing survive, and Wedge's x-wing is damaged (making four in total, with one crippled).

The crucial difference being an unexpected, but timely return by they who had previously abandoned the whole situation for better opportunities and a less hopeless existence.
  • edited 2018-04-20 23:59:02
    My dreams exceed my real life
    Tachyon said:

i don't disagree, but i can't tell if this is supposed to be @ anyone here?

No, that would be mean

Also it is okay to subtweet when it is like, hundreds of people
  • kill living beings
    [googles] yeah i think i've seen the same comment about Ye Olde Literary Booke of some kind
    aye it's the kind of observation that crops up all the time in litcrit, e.g. Henry James' The Ambassadors was widely praised for that kind of symmetrical plotting

subtweet wasn't the word i'd have used; personally, since i don't generally watch or discuss video reviews, threads like this are a slightly strange experience because the opinions you're reacting to seem kind of obviously poorly reasoned and reductive
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Tachyon said:

kind of obviously poorly reasoned and reductive
    #RedLetterMedia
    well yeah

i have had people talk to me about RLM offline a couple times, i'm aware it has some pretty ardent fans, but i don't see the appeal at all
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Or, how about how in Attack of the Clones, Obi-Wan hides his ship by landing it on an asteroid, which fools Jango Fett because Fett is looking for a moving ship, and isn't looking at random asteroids and crap floating around, but in Empire Strikes Back, Han tries a very similar trick, and it works on everybody except Boba Fett.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Pynchon does this sort of thing in Gravity's Rainbow a lot and Joyce was positively obsessed with it in Ulysses. It's pretty great

also, dare I ask, has someone actually written about the humor of rape, if such a thing exists
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    I didn't know this interview
  • edited 2018-04-21 03:02:13
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    @Calica: It's in the the "making of" stuff on disk two of the original Phantom Menace dvd, or, at least, the first one my family ever had, that we bought in 2002.  

Growing up, I watched the DVD extras a lot, because it was neat to see the behind-the-scenes stuff and the overlying ideas that the movie-makers had in mind.

The same feature is the source of the "Jar Jar is the key to all of this" soundbite.