A short video clip of Central Avenue waiting at a ramp meter.

Why do I post this? Mainly because the last time I mentioned ramp meters, a couple people here were like "I've never heard of such a thing!"

So...this is what one looks like in action.

Tagged:

Comments

• edited 2018-04-05 07:14:57
    Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    oh those things.  i don't like them because i always feel like i'm going to miss a green. (california has 2-lane ones that alternate which lane gets a green)

also for a second i thought "lane avenue" was a pun with your name and a road term before i remembered that "avenue" is also a road term.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Calica said:

(california has 2-lane ones that alternate which lane gets a green)

We have some like that, as well. Actually, is the one in the video like that? I can't really tell because by the time we can reliably see the signals on both sides of the ramp, they've switched to steady green.

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    "Lane Avenue" is just the name of the street, but it does sound like something I'd make up.
    vtk said:

Calica said:

(california has 2-lane ones that alternate which lane gets a green)

We have some like that, as well. Actually, is the one in the video like that? I can't really tell because by the time we can reliably see the signals on both sides of the ramp, they've switched to steady green.

It's not. It's positioned such that by the time you get to the stop line, the two lanes should already have merged. (You can see people in the right lane waiting with their left turn signals on at 0:14.)
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    1000 Princesspoints to anyone other than vtk who can correctly pronounce the name of the second street on the overhead sign at 1:48
  • oh-len-tang-y?
  • edited 2018-04-06 02:26:01
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I've noticed over the years that people encountering the name for the firsr time tend to pronounce it "tangy", like an orange...but it's actually "oh-len-tan-jee"
  • oh, so those are called ramp meters, not ramp lights

1000 Princesspoints to anyone other than vtk who can correctly pronounce the name of the second street on the overhead sign at 1:48

ˈwɛtˌstoʊn ˈrɪvər roʊd
    I would not expect you to use the Yay White Imperialism name for the river, GMH.

Though I suppose it gets a little complicated since "Olentangy" isn't the indigenous name for it either. ("Olentangy" properly belongs to Big Darby Creek, but when the legislature attempted to revert to indigenous names, they got it mixed up and the name stuck.)
    Now I'm thinking of my Ohio waterway-related pet peeve: people "cleverly" pointing out that, oh no, Upper Sandusky is actually south of Sandusky!!

Sure is! That's why they call it "Upper Sandusky" and not "North Sandusky".

Like, you have to pretty freakin' dense to equate "Upper" with "North" even when you know there's a goddamn river involved.
  • I would not expect you to use the Yay White Imperialism name for the river, GMH.

Fine.

ˈnaɪfstoʊn ˈrɪvər roʊd
  • Now I'm thinking of my Ohio waterway-related pet peeve: people "cleverly" pointing out that, oh no, Upper Sandusky is actually south of Sandusky!!

Sure is! That's why they call it "Upper Sandusky" and not "North Sandusky".

Like, you have to pretty freakin' dense to equate "Upper" with "North" even when you know there's a goddamn river involved.
    some people are in denial because they don't live with the Nile
  • edited 2018-04-06 03:21:07
    So I went and tried using the "keenhongsheconsepung" given in Wikipedia, and found a Lenape dictionary to use, but while "river" is probably "sipu", I found multiple possible translations of "road", which then suggested to me that it's probably a language that declines nouns, presumably either Unami or Munsee.  Which would mean that I can't just do a one-for-one substitution in the same word order (the way the "Calle Ocho" isn't called "Street Eight" in English), and I'd actually need to learn Unami grammar to do this right without actually sounding like a stupid tourist.
    Also, let's talk about how this overhead sign has a single lane arrow despite there clearly being two left-turn lanes.

• Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    I guess they didn't want to shell out for a two-lane-wide sign?
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    I'm about seventy percent sure in 2002 there was only one left-turn lane. That sign is clearly newer than that, but I don't know when they restriped the lanes, and even if there were two when they put up that sign, they probably just fabricated a copy of the old sign with the new font.
    If Google Street View is any indication, the previous sign was replaced with the Clearview one sometime from 2009 to 2011, before the second lane was added, which happened sometime from 2011 to 2014.

Still, that's not excuse for not updating the sign when the pavement was restriped, but...
    Google Street View also reveals that there was a concrete median at one point, which seems to have been removed to fit the extra turn lane.
  • It looks like the sign is above the right side lane, which is consistent with this history.
    Also funny is that the sign gives 315 SB's control city as "Columbus"...even though you're already well into Columbus proper if you're at this interchange.

It should probably say "Downtown" instead.