"Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon"

Why is it that you can outright admit your main characters are effectively child soldiers, but it's somehow way less horrific if they fight with magic instead of muggle weapons?

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    you figured it out
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Because seven-year-old Rozzy would rather not read about child protagonists going through PTSD again.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I mean, if you count Youma as people, our 14-year-old protagonist already has quite a kill count even by the end of the Jadeite arc.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    yeah that show was pretty brutal, Usagi outright disintegrates a lot of her early enemies

also 'snail woman in the station wagon should crash and die'

every now and then i see people talking about how  the series was gentler than DBZ and how Usagi mostly wins her enemies over with the power of love or friendship or w/e and i wonder if they ever sat down and watched the series (tho i guess you could partially form that impression by skipping the small fry youma and only counting the recurring antagonists)

it's also pretty striking after watching Madoka if you keep that show in mind while rewatching the first episode of Sailor Moon.  how Luna basically just shows up and tells Usagi she is a soldier now, no ifs no buts that's just how it is.  later on we find a bit more about the reasons for this and it seems less arbitrary but yeah
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    On a mostly unrelated, but "I'm thinking about it, so I'll post it" note, watching Minako (as Sailor V) capture petty crooks solely to antagonize the actual police is quite amusing.
  • edited 2018-03-21 16:17:50
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    oh, there's also the time in the anime (late season 1 iirc) where Usagi fully intends to Moon Tiara Action (i.e. disintegrate) a police officer-turned-youma because she dated the man Minako loved, before she is stopped by Minako

she's a scary one
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Magical girl shows can be kind of hardcore sometimes, and I think in that respect, Madoka Magica was really true to the roots of that branch of the style.
  • kill living beings
    i can't find the cap but my fave (as someone who has not sailored):

Takeuchi published her liner notes in various volumes of the manga and revealed one very interesting fact about her initial notes for Ami. Before Ami was fleshed out, Sailor Mercury wasn’t a teenage girl with a genius level IQ. Instead, she was a cyborg, which is why she was so smart and good with technology. Takeuchi’s plan was to have Cyborg Sailor Mercury be killed in the final battle of the first manga arc, her cybernetic limbs removed one by one until she was destroyed. Takeuchi’s editor nixed the idea with the instructions that none of the girls were allowed to die and that robots were out of place.

Well, that's certainly a thing. Admittedly I think I prefer Ami in the form that actually made it into the final product...
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    robots are out of place in this, the series about intergalactic magical girls
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

robots are out of place in this, the series about intergalactic magical girls

-an indignant robotic magical girl
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    This thread has made me want to accelerate my watching Sailor Moon with Fossilmeido even more tbh.

Also robotic magical girls are A++.
  • kill living beings
  • Crystal said:

robotic magical girls 
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    that would've been quite the scene