Bert and Ernie

It's a long-running tradition to joke about Bert and Ernie being a gay couple but, like...as a kid, I actually believed that, before I even knew what "gay" meant.

Like, they act like a couple, they clearly care deeply about each other, and they even sleep in separate beds in the same room like married couples did on '50s and '60s TV shows.

Why wouldn't 5-year-old Centie assume they were a couple?

Comments

• extremely not so but maybe just a tad yes
    iconic.
  • Oh same.
  • I can all but hear the chimes
    They are long and loud and slow
    I definitely always assumed that they were brothers
  • Yeah I just assumed they were brothers.  Like, this.

This is a brother moment.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i thought they were just really close friends

the couple interpretation is cute, though
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I assumed brothers because of how passively annoyed Bert tended to be with Ernie
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Tachyon said:

i thought they were just really close friends

the couple interpretation is cute, though

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i have gotten plenty passively annoyed with flatmates before

though with retrospect yes them being brothers would make sense
  • edited 2018-03-01 00:23:47
    “His thoughts were red thoughts, and his teeth were white.”
    Brothers makes a lot of sense, but man, it's ambiguous.

Also I definitely thought they were a couple before I even understood what romance was really, and I scarcely watched Sesame Street.
  • “And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.” – Roald Dahl
    I remember being really confused as a child when I realized that the love songs I heard on the radio were always either a man singing to a woman or a woman singing to a man. Where were the men who loved men? Where were the women who loved women?
  • “And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.” – Roald Dahl
    I don't even know that I had a concept of "romance" at that point in my childhood, but I understood that love was meant to be universal.
  • I can all but hear the chimes
    They are long and loud and slow
    i was always bothered by the number of songs there were about love, to the point where i grew to hate them
  • nasty prisms good sir
    I didn't know homosexuality existed until I was, like, maybe 12 or so
  • Brothers makes a lot of sense, but man, it's ambiguous.

Also I definitely thought they were a couple before I even understood what romance was really, and I scarcely watched Sesame Street.

Mood.
  • edited 2018-03-01 03:42:32
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    They were always brothers to me.  I mean, siblings sleep in the same room, and, when they're very young, in the same bed.

I didn't know what "roomates" were until I was, like, ten.  I just assumed that people lived in houses, and that people live with their families.

I watched a lot of Sesame Street as a kid, and the idea of them being anything but brothers never crossed my mind.