Is it "normal" to require caffeine to help you wake up?

Even since I've started using the CPAP, I've found that when I first wake up, I feel all groggy, but once I force myself out of bed and drink a cup of coffee I feel much better.

Is this how it's "supposed" to work? Is this why grown-ups constantly make jokes about needing coffee?

Comments

• Normal, yes. "Supposed to" may be another matter.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    No, it's not normal, but the evil conspiracy behind caffeine (the Great Caffeine Cartel) has restructured society so that everybody's circadian rhythms are messed up (night shifts, artificial light, cities being loud at night) so that they can sell their creepy "wake-up" potions to the masses without said masses realizing that they're ingesting mind-control-chemicals.

The communists tried the same thing, but with contaminated fluoridated water as the means of delivery.  Luckily, the heroic actions of concerned anti-communist communities were able to expose the plot, and all fluoridated water today is perfectly safe.  The fact that communist spies were later able to steal and hide all the relevant documentation allowed other communist spies to rewrite the historical narrative to the extent that the average American believes that fluoridated water was never a communist plot.

I keep trying to find evidence of the Great Caffeine Cartel and its malevolent influence.  It all disappears overnight, though.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    It's how it works, especially if you've built up a tolerance
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    The mere shock of being alive is enough to wake me up, personally.

I don't even say this as a joke.
  • "ah fuck, here again? im going back to sleep for another hour"
  • If it's the caffeine specifically and nothing else works (I use ice water while still in bed, personally) then not particularly normal unless you were already caffeine dependent
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Admittedly, I haven't tried much else.

In retrospect, this thread was a bit premature, since I still haven't completely recovered from the chronic sleep deprivation associated with my sleep apnea. (I've been on CPAP less than a week, after all.)
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

If it's the caffeine specifically and nothing else works (I use ice water while still in bed, personally) then not particularly normal unless you were already caffeine dependent

I mean, I think Centie was already someone who drank a lot of coffee, so she probably does have a tolerance
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god

Even since I've started using the CPAP, I've found that when I first wake up, I feel all groggy, but once I force myself out of bed and drink a cup of coffee I feel much better.

Is this how it's "supposed" to work? Is this why grown-ups constantly make jokes about needing coffee?
    Do you wake up to an alarm? Try using something like sleepyti.me to make sure you aren't waking up in the middle of a deep sleep cycle. This is the first time in a long time you've gotten to have deep sleep, so being jolted from it by your alarm is definitely a different feeling to wake up with compared to the light sleep you had before.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Calica said:

If it's the caffeine specifically and nothing else works (I use ice water while still in bed, personally) then not particularly normal unless you were already caffeine dependent

I mean, I think Centie was already someone who drank a lot of coffee, so she probably does have a tolerance
    Not really. Despite my frequent joking about coffee addiction, I almost always limit myself to one or two cups per day, which I've been told is pretty reasonable. On extreme days, like yesterday, I might have a third cup, but I always regret it when the final crash comes.

Do you wake up to an alarm? Try using something like sleepyti.me to make sure you aren't waking up in the middle of a deep sleep cycle. This is the first time in a long time you've gotten to have deep sleep, so being jolted from it by your alarm is definitely a different feeling to wake up with compared to the light sleep you had before.
    I generally don't wake up to an alarm. I do set an alarm, but it's mainly a failsafe in case I oversleep; most of the time It wake up roughly around the time I would want to get up anyways.

While looking this up online I saw someone mention that it may take a couple weeks for someone new to CPAP to finally get to deep sleep, because the body is so used to forcing itself awake to keep breathing. I don't know if that's true or not, but it makes sense.
  • A CPAP will definitely screw with you for at least a couple weeks, especially if you have a tendency to open your mouth as you sleep.
    I've woken up a couple times to find I had my mouth open but I'm hoping I can train myself out of it without having to get the dreaded strap.
  • as normal as it is these days to think about death everyday or hate everybody you meet my default, no big deal