edited 2018-01-27 20:19:26 in General
Things I use my student ID for frequently:
  • A bus pass
  • A keycard to unlock lab doors
  • Student discounts
Things I almost never use my student ID for:
  • Identification

Comments

• Yup. Though for the bus pass and discounts, surely they look at the photo to make sure it's you.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Things the average person uses a driving licence for:

* Identification

Things they almost never use it for:

* Proving they're allowed to drive
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Lol, I noticed too.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

Yup. Though for the bus pass and discounts, surely they look at the photo to make sure it's you.

For the discounts, yes, at least most of the time. (I've had some lazy cashiers who just take my word for it.)

For the bus pass...nope! It's electronic, I just swipe the thing and the driver never even looks at it.
  • Yup. Though for the bus pass and discounts, surely they look at the photo to make sure it's you.

For the discounts, yes, at least most of the time. (I've had some lazy cashiers who just take my word for it.)

For the bus pass...nope! It's electronic, I just swipe the thing and the driver never even looks at it.
    Oh, right, yes. Waterloo recently changed over to smart cards for the bus too, but they didn't bother to give the new ones to grad students so I still just show mine to the driver.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    COTA used to do the "just show the driver your student ID" thing, but a few years ago they started requiring you to swipe the magnetic strip.

The official stated reason for this was that they wanted to collect data about student ridership.

The real reason, of course, is that they realized people who had graduated or dropped out were still flashing their OSU IDs in an attempt to get free rides.
  • Ours has the expiry date pretty visible on the front, so if the driver is attentive you probably can't get away with that.

I think the reason they moved to smart cards is because we're getting a new light rail soon, which I assume has all-door boarding. But you need a new card, because it's a tap-based thing that's compatible with the existing fare cards from the transit agency, I guess.

According to the school website, "all students" were supposed to get the new cards over the course of the fall...but none of the grad students I asked about it even knew this was a thing. I only found out because I had a bus driver tell me that I was supposed to have it. (Which I suspect she was wrong about, I'm pretty sure the existing cards should still be valid as bus passes until they expire.)
    Heh, ours don't even have an expiration date on them!

They look like this:
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion

The real reason, of course, is that they realized people who had graduated or dropped out were still flashing their OSU IDs in an attempt to get free rides.
    It totally worked, too. If I lived anywhere near COTA bus service I would have done that a lot.
  • Heh, ours don't even have an expiration date on them!

They look like this:
    I tried to find a picture of what ours look like, but I couldn't find one that looks like mine since they redesigned them when they introduced the new smart cards. I did notice that the new design also doesn't have an expiry date on it, since I guess they can just deactivate em when you leave. Not sure what the grocery stores will do though. Maybe you'll need to tap it there too?
  • also that guy really looks like mark zuckerberg
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    He's clearly Brian O'Buckeye
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Mine had a sticker on it saying WI04 because that was the last quarter for which it was valid as a residence hall security clearance. Not sure it was necessary though, because you swiped it to open the door. Or just look enough like you belong there and another resident coming or going will let you in.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion

They look like this:
    What's the pattern of darker scarlet lines? Is it paths on the Oval?

• so if you make a list of everyone with an Ohio State ID card, would it be a buckid list?
    vtk said:

They look like this:
    What's the pattern of darker scarlet lines? Is it paths on the Oval?

I think so, yeah.

so if you make a list of everyone with an Ohio State ID card, would it be a buckid list?

Only if you don't know how to pronounce "buckeye" or "ID" :P
  • I had to use my student ID all the time. The only way into the library was the show your ID to prove you were a student. And I had to take it with me to every exam.
  • edited 2018-01-28 15:15:39
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I don't actually think I ever used my student ID. We just kinda wore them on lanyards.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Ewwww lanyards. Hated them.
  • edited 2018-01-28 15:50:07
    Toolsie said:

I had to use my student ID all the time. The only way into the library was the show your ID to prove you were a student. And I had to take it with me to every exam.

Exams were the one situation where I really used mine for identification, yeah. Though not so much as a grad student.
    Toolsie said:

I had to use my student ID all the time. The only way into the library was the show your ID to prove you were a student.

We have that at the 24-hour library, but only during the overnight hours. During the daytime it's open to the public.
    Toolsie said:

And I had to take it with me to every exam.

I've had to use mine for this, but...not that often, surprisingly. At Columbus State I only ever had to show ID for exams I was taking in the testing center, and at OSU I've only had to show ID for exams in, I guess, two classes?
  • Something I don't like about this, as well as driver's licenses.

This means that I have to have my wallet with me everywhere I go. Or at least bring some sort of dongle.  I can't just go out wearing pants with no pockets.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

I can't just go out wearing pants with no pockets.

Well, women manage it. :P
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion

so if you make a list of everyone with an Ohio State ID card, would it be a buckid list?

Only if you don't know how to pronounce "buckeye" or "ID" :P
    Also, that would be a very long list.
  • I can't just go out wearing pants with no pockets.

Well, women manage it. :P
    Okay, wearing clothes with no pockets and carrying no containers.
    I can't imagine wearing clothes with no pockets and not carrying a bag of some type. Where would you put the other basic things you need, like your phone or your keys? Keys are important for getting back into your house; the phone is important in case you have some kind of emergency...
    in hammerspace
  • I don't actually think I ever used my student ID. We just kinda wore them on lanyards.

My uni made it a rule that all students had to wear their ID cards on lanyards when on campus. Being a third year student, I ignored that rule.

I had it on me, it was just kept in my purse where I wouldn’t lose it.

I mean, I've worked at places that have had me wear an ID card on a lanyard, but I've never been asked to do that at school. Weird.
    lanyards are silly
  • what if you wore your soul on a lanyard
  • My University of Oregon ID doesn't have an expiration date, but it very clearly says it's from 13 years ago.

Also wtf I went to college 13 years ago
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    I have an ERail System Badge that's obviously not mine