"Put the Fox fanfare back on Star Wars"

Brah, they don't have a monopoly on the CinemaScope extension!

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Did...did anyone actually say this??

I mean, I guess it would be possible for Disney to do it, but...
  • edited 2018-01-02 01:15:35
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

Did...did anyone actually say this??

I mean, I guess it would be possible for Disney to do it, but...
    people keep talking about how weird it was for The Force Awakens to be prefaced with a silent Lucasfilm logo instead of TCF's
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I refuse to watch any Star Wars movie that doesn't have the TCF fanfare at the beginning
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

I refuse to watch any Star Wars movie that doesn't have the TCF fanfare at the beginning

I can't tell if you're being serious or not
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    uhhhh...half serious?

I mean, I don't feel like watching the new Star Warses anyway but this certainly doesn't help
    well good thing my versions of those movies have the Fox fanfare
  • Maybe it’s just the circles I roll with or w/e but I’ve literally never heard anyone say this

it’d be akin to asking for the Paramount or Universal logos to show up on Marvel movies again, which would be both inaccurate and unnecessary
    Tre said:

Maybe it’s just the circles I roll with or w/e but I’ve literally never heard anyone say this

it’d be akin to asking for the Paramount or Universal logos to show up on Marvel movies again, which would be both inaccurate and unnecessary

in the days of the original trilogy the TCF fanfare was actually pretty integral to the movies

like, for Empire, John Williams even did an arrangement - and he wrote the Star Wars theme in the same key as the Fox fanfare

• There is definitely an undeniable appeal to being able to hear both together with that pause in between for the "A long time ago..." bit, but I also really like how the recent movies just jump the fuck into it, there's an anticipation factor there that just feels nice

Maybe it's just me, but this might be one of the few cases where I don't mind too much if the logos up front aren't really made a bigger deal
    understandable

is it because rupert has tainted the fox brand
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I must admit, the Disney Star Wars movies aren't my Star Wars.  Star Wars ended on my sister's eighth birthday, May 19, 2005.  

Revenge of the Sith was PG-13, a higher rating than anything my siblings and I had ever seen.  Serious stuff for a 13-year-old, a 10-year-old, and an 8-year-old, too hardcore for the 4-year-old.  But, of course, it had to be.  This was The Sad One, the one where everything went wrong and all the jedi died, the very last chapter of the saga.  

It is no longer May 19 2005, and the days when my parents could, on a whim, take me and my siblings to the movie theater are gone.  

I still jump every dang time in the theater, when the Star Wars logo first comes on with that big loud BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH note.  It's always just before or just after I'm expecting it, and it's always louder than I remember.

We had the original trilogy on video, and for a while they, Rookie of the Year, and The Man From Snowy River were the only 20th century Fox movies we had, so as a kid, hearing the Fox fanfare got me excited for my five favorite movies.  Inevitably, we got other Fox movies, and then I was disappointed whenever it was some other movie, and not one of the, like, nine movies that 8-year-old Me had decided was worthy of watching.

So, I guess, the above is a giant nostalgic leadup to me admitting that while I never said the title of this thread out loud, I certainly thought it many times over the last few years.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    @Aliroz I must admit, it's quite refreshing to see someone who not only likes the Star Wars prequels, but considers them some of his favorite movies.
  • Anonus said:

understandable

Nah, not really

I think, if anything, it's probably just that Star Wars has always kinda existed outside of its corporate allegiances for me. Like, it never mattered if it was Disney or Warner Bros. or Fox behind the scenes, so long as it still just felt the way a SW movie should.
    Tre said:

Anonus said:

understandable

Nah, not really

I think, if anything, it's probably just that Star Wars has always kinda existed outside of its corporate allegiances for me. Like, it never mattered if it was Disney or Warner Bros. or Fox behind the scenes, so long as it still just felt the way a SW movie should.

?