crystal thread when
  • kill living beings
    so what's the punchline
  • I don't know what punk rock is
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Hexartes said:

I don't know what punk rock is

• ...aside from knowing that it's obsessed with its own image, of course

And the idea that punk rockers don't know how to play their own instruments but that's the point

idk it sounds like they're playing them right enough to me, I mean, I certainly haven't heard any punk that comes even close to being as viscerally unpleasant as Trout Mask Replica

Also if I understand correctly basically no musician ever knows shit about fuck anyway
  • How the fuck is Blondie punk, I mean this sincerely not as a knock on her cred as a punk artist which, if it were purely about merit and not sonic qualities I would happily say yeah Blondie is absolutely punk, fuck yeah, but like no what are the actual genre trappings of punk that Blondie has, and how do I phrase this eithout it seeming like I'm questioning her merit because "punk" has also acquired an additional meaning that means something like "good but in a not mainstream way" whatever the FUCK that means

What the fuck is going on with anything
  • okay well first of all, Blondie is the band, so let's start there. The frontwoman's name is Debbie Harris.

Secondly, most of Blondie's most well-known material isn't punk, it's new wave.
    Debbie Harry actually
  • now listen, "Harry" is a nickname so clearly
  • Jane said:

okay well first of all, Blondie is the band, so let's start there. The frontwoman's name is Debbie Harris.

Debbie Harry, actually

• Jane said:

now listen, "Harry" is a nickname so clearly

• anyway like

Blondie's first album was punk, kind of (listen to something like "Rip Her To Shreds" n you'll hear what I mean), but largely their later work wasn't, but punk does this thing where if you ever made a punk album you get like grandfathered in, it's silly.
  • *is actually pretty annoyed*

Like I'm not a massive fan, love Debbie Harry herself but I haven't done, like, a deep dive on the entire band's material or her life or anything

But hot damn I know the band's more than one person, don't knock me for unintentionally using the rather common device of using a band's name to refer to its most famous member. It may be a mistake but it's a rather minor one and pretty understandable linguistically.
  • plenty of people call her Blondie, it's not really that weird a mistake to make.
    Actually her name is Hooty, her pet blowfish is named Blondie
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    someone mention blondes
    Crystal said:

someone mention blondes

• For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    New Wave also came directly from punk, and there were some bands that combined the two (for example, if you listen to The Rezillos, you can hear the seeds for both The Cramps and The B-52s). So for a while there was a bunch of genuine confusion about where punk ended and New Wave began.

IIRC, The Police also got lumped in with punk.
    my question remains unanswered
  • I think they lumped in ELO with the rest of prog rock as per their requirement of performatively dunking on (classical-influenced) art rock bands
    In my experience they hate ELO more than prog rock proper
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Odradek said:

Crystal said:

someone mention blondes

good
  • Odradek said:

my question remains unanswered

rockcrit lumps bands into good and bad more or less arbitrarily and ELO look like this, and are thus an easy target.
    Incidentally is it just me or has Taylor Swift been trying to look like Debbie Harry since she went full pop around that last album
  • Odradek said:

In my experience they hate ELO more than prog rock proper

'cause they also had to have the gall to be openly seventies pop, I guess?

like, if they're not also spending the rest of their time dunking on Klaatu or Supertramp, then maybe Jeff Lynne personally traumatized them with his hair or something
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    rock crit is the stupidest thing