how to keep stoners from stealing your traffic signs

(Yes, this is real. It's on Interstate 70 in Colorado.)

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    gwa ha ha
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I wonder at what point, "this is why we can't have nice things" inevitably becomes, "this is why we don't have nice things".

All I wanted was a whole number, you monsters, and you gave me decimals.
  • edited 2017-11-27 18:43:42
    centimile marker 41999
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I have to wonder how many "MILE 69" signs get stolen, since I'm sure there's a lot more of them.
  • vtkvtk
    edited 2017-11-28 00:17:35
    embrace the confusion
    Ohio's State Route 69 was once much longer than it is now, but sign theft was a problem. It was shortened by redesignating most of it as SR 235. The remaining part of SR 69 is far enough away from populated areas it's mostly left alone.

I've heard Kentucky has similar problems with its State Route 8. I'll ask Centie to produce a visual to explain why. (If you're going to mock one up, use Series F for best effect.)
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I suspect boobs are involved
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    when are they not?
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    see, I would be MORE inclined to steal this sign for the novelty of it, were I inclined to sign-stealing to begin with. 
  • edited 2017-11-29 00:37:39
    Isn't state route 8 just a circle with an 8 in the middle?  It's not even the silly "8x>-" thing.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    In Kentucky, yes, State Route 8 is just a black 8 inside a white circle against a black background (or a green background on the big freeway signs).

There is another place where a black 8 in a white circle on a black background can be found...
  • A billiards ball, I guess.

That said, why would Kentucky be unique with this?  Wouldn't it apply to any state that uses circular route shields?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    That still only leaves you with 5 states.

• vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Wikipedia doesn't quite have the shape right for Ohio
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    That always bugged me too.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    "California One" is a Decemberists song named after that stretch of road. It's easily one of their best songs ever, period:

• BeeBee
    edited 2017-11-30 21:35:47
    You know what always blew my mind?  That they don't just set up an automated roadside kiosk that actually sells them via card payment.  Most of the cost of replacing stolen signs is labor, and that sign can't be more than $15, especially without the post.

I figure stoners already pay asstons of money for illegal drugs (though I guess not in Colorado).  Might as well make a novelty market and put it into infrastructure funding.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    ricesigns.com
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    Bee said:

You know what always blew my mind?  That they don't just set up an automated roadside kiosk that actually sells them via card payment.  Most of the cost of replacing stolen signs is labor, and that sign can't be more than $15, especially without the post.

I figure stoners already pay asstons of money for illegal drugs (though I guess not in Colorado).  Might as well make a novelty market and put it into infrastructure funding.
    Based on my knowledge of dumb college-aged stoners, half of the fun is saying that you stole it, unfortunately. They don't really view crime like that as being "bad" in the same way a theft from another actual person or a company might be.

That said, it might ruin their fun, still appeal to other demographics, and therefore still be a success!