The lack of a solution to x = x + 1 is proof God doesn't exist

2»

Comments

• edited 2017-11-08 21:03:59
    I would like to tell people to refer to election cycles as X mod 4.  Alternatively, using the terms "on", "off", and "odd".

Virginia and New Jersey holds their statewide elections on 1 mod 4 years.  Kentucky holds its statewide elections on 3 mod 4 years.  Both of these can also be described as being held on odd years.

A wide variety of federal, state, and local elections are held on 2 mod 4 years, also known as "off" years.

And years with presidential elections are held on 0 mod 4 years, commonly referred to as "presidential" years, but why don't we just continue the analogy and use a back-formation to make it consistent and call them "on" years.

Coincidentially, the summer Olympic Games are also held on 0 mod 4 years, while the winter Olympic Games and the World Cup in soccer are held on 2 mod 4 years.

If you need extra specificity, just append the term "Gregorian" to these.  e.g. "Virginia holds its statewide elections in Gregorian 1 mod 4 years."

[/things no one but gmh cares about]
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Ohio's gubernatorial elections are on Gregorian 2 mod 4 years.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Maybe I should use a constant other than i in my ring, as my ring is a subset of the complex numbers, but my i maps to a value other than i in that field.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    j should probably be the Greek letter phi, so maybe other Greek letters instead of j and k?
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Okay, I think I've decided on upsilon instead of i, phi instead of j, and maybe tau instead of k. (Maybe not because tau is already a constant in complex numbers...)
  • kill living beings
    uh, since when
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Tau = 2pi, no?
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Or is that just a fringe notation from the people who claim 2pi is more elemental than pi?
  • vtk said:

Tau = 2pi, no?

I don't know that anyone's ever used that in real math

of course in real math π isn't a constant either
  • edited 2017-11-08 21:51:40
    kill living beings
    mathematicians tend to not give a shit

in my experience tau is a variable meaning time under some transformation, e.g. lorentz
  • You see that notation in physics textbooks sometimes where equations can get hella long.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Alright then, I'll go with Sτ + Rυ + Nφ + M. (Had to copy & paste those letters from Wikipedia). Still need a name for this ring...
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA'M HOOKED ON A FEELIN'

AAAAAAAAAAAAA'M HIGH ON BELIEVIN'
  • edited 2017-11-09 03:18:29
    Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    I can't be completely sure without tedious manual verification but I think that ring is just Z[ζ] where ζ is a fifth root of unity.  IIRC that ring actually gets use in one description ("cut-and-project") of the possible Penrose tilings
  • Calica said:

I can't be completely sure without tedious manual verification but I think that ring is just Z[ζ] where ζ is a fifth root of unity.  IIRC that ring actually gets use in one description ("cut-and-project") of the possible Penrose tilings

Macaulay2 is telling me it's the zero ring. Possibly @vtk made a mistake in one of the identities.
  • See this is the part where my brain checks out.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    yeah that's possible.  also the best ring defined over Z[ϕ] is the icosians
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Perhaps I should have said I re-invented it. I'm not surprised it's already been studied by someone, but this specific ring really isn't covered in-depth on Wikipedia, and the only math class I ever took that even came close to this stuff I had to drop because the homework was a nightmare.