News sites where scrolling to the bottom of an article loads more articles.

Can we agree that, if we ever find out who first implemented this, we'll give him a punch in the face?

Comments

• thank you for agreeing with me on something related to computers and the internet
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-10-18 20:05:05
    I only have a problem with this if the next article's headline isn't clearly styled.  As is though, a network call for another block of text is probably the least strenuous thing running on the site.  Typically ads are most of your traffic and lag.

I mean it's not like you get 100% achievement for scrolling to the True Bottom of the Page.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It's not bandwidth or performance I'm worried about.

It's just...sort of not a very friendly UI design, to me? Like, I may scroll to the bottom, looking for the comments section, but if I scroll just a bit too far I'm in another article and the URL in my URL bar has changed, meaning I have to scroll back up before I can copypaste the link.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Print news.

It don't got this hassle, not one bit

Print news.

Make a fort or a castle out of it

Print news

See who lives and who's died.

Print news

Just Gimme dat classified!

• edited 2017-10-18 21:52:01

It's not bandwidth or performance I'm worried about.

It's just...sort of not a very friendly UI design, to me? Like, I may scroll to the bottom, looking for the comments section, but if I scroll just a bit too far I'm in another article and the URL in my URL bar has changed, meaning I have to scroll back up before I can copypaste the link.
    oh gosh that's just obnoxiously annoying

also those sites where if you scroll too far down the elements up top disappear so you can't even Ctrl+F them (e.g. Facebook, Twitter)

"where's that interesting thing i was just reading?" too bad, it's gone in the digital ether now

also Aliroz wins