What even is "general aviation"??????

LIke tthe countryside is full of little airports with people flying little Cessnas or whatever but, like, for what purpsoe? What even would you use an airplane for other than,, y'know, transportation over a long distance? Is it just for fun??

Comments

• Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Chirp.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    my dad used to fly for fun

he thought it was fun, anyway
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    i can't tell how serious you are right now
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    this is what you get when I drive past successive signs for Bolton Field and Rickenbacker Airport at 1 int he morning
  • General Aviation is in charge of the bird army and she won't take your shit
  • edited 2017-09-26 06:25:41
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    she will, however, shit on your car
  • edited 2017-09-26 17:10:27
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Serious answer: "general aviation" is pretty much anything that's not scheduled passenger service or regular cargo service. Private planes, charters, traffic and weather watchers, things like that. The bigger ones that can accept private jet are typically branded as "executive" airports. "Regional" airports can be either revenue service, GA or both.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    I have been told by people who are into it that flying small planes is super fun. I figure it's kinda like boating. A somewhat expensive hobby, since it's a couple hundred every time you go up, but if you enjoy it and can afford it, I figure you should go for it. 
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    I was once flying over some place in New England in MS Flight Simulator and there were so many private airports they covered like half the ground