Walmart is an abomination

The entire experience is godawful

You can't ever just get in and get out. You have to stand in line behind other shoppers who have 500 items. At least if you go when the self-checkouts are closed.

Comments

• kill living beings
    Walmart is godawful but not for reasons that are true of any busy store
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Those too
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I always use self-checkout

the whole place is mental health-draining so it's like a heat run, I gotta save whatever seconds I can
  • i don't go to walmart if i can, unless my mom wants to shop there (which is disappointingly often)
  • I legitimately get physically ill when I am inside a Wal-Mart.

Start getting really dizzy and short of breath. Dunno why! Sometimes happens in other big box stores too but with Wal-Mart it's a sure bet.
  • maybe it's due to some cleaning chemicals they use?  or maybe the feeling of being in a place with large crowds of people?
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    wal-marts tend to run hot, so that may be a factor too
  • might be all three I have no real idea. I brought it up with my doctor once and she was basically like "yeah that's super weird, no clue".
    you're allergic to Walmart Capitalism
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I avoid Walmart as much as possible but every once in a while they have the best deal on something I need so I brave the store...though even then I usually order online for in-store pickup.
  • my mom likes their rotisserie chicken

i just get that at the supermarket instead
  • I go to Walmart when I need fabric dye b/c they're the only ones that carry it around here?
  • I go to walmart for grocery shopping because no frills doesn't exist in waterloo
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    We tend to shop there because most things are less expensive there and it's faster to get everything in one place. If Target were closer we'd probably just go there. It's a better experience and the checkout isn't egregiously understaffed.
  • edited 2017-09-23 01:22:49
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Indeed!

Also ngl I made this thread in part because the Walmart in a shopping center near me has killed the Office Depot and is about to kill the Bed Bath & Beyond there

Those places are/were much better to shop at
  • When Walmart moved into my hometown, they said explicitly in a press release that their goal was to force the local K-Mart, Office Depot, and about half the local mall out of business.  Zero of those things remain.
    Fuckers
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Anonus said:

Fuckers

At least the Office Depot and Bed Bath & Beyond lasted about a decade (the Office Depot closed last year or thereabouts and the Bed Bath & Beyond closes in November)
    There's an Aldi within a five-minute walk of the Walmart here and an Acme about a mile or two off. Both are doing fine. We go to the Acme fairly often to get our prescriptions filled and the Aldi more rarely to get the sort of things one gets at an Aldi.
    the King Soopers is doing fine, which is great because a trip to King Soopers does not feel like going to a hell dimension
    The people who actually work at our local Walmart are incredibly nice, so that's a perk.
  • each walmart is imbued with the soul of an innocent, strangled to death by a member of the Walton family personally, and bound in eternal agony to the cornerstone of the building
  • fool, Walmarts are non-euclidean and have no need for cornerstones
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

I go to walmart for grocery shopping because no frills doesn't exist in waterloo

It took me a moment to remember that "No Frills" is the name of a chain in Canada and not just you generically describing, say, Aldi or Save-A-Lot.
  • don't forget bottom dollar who are so cheap that they can't afford capital letters for the name of their store
  • edited 2017-09-23 02:23:18

tbh, the awful, tangible feeling of decrepitude you get inside of a walmart AND ONLY WALMART has legitimately caused me to question my hardline materialism

it's a malevolent, spiritual force created from the unrestrained greed of the creation and operation of the place that resonates in a baleful manner with the human soul
  • like, ok

the walmart closest to me (4, maybe 5 blocks away), it's right next to a strip mall

and in that strip mall, there's a tobacconist that sells drug paraphernalia, and next to that tobacconist there's a dollar store

and the dollar store but it sort of serves as a control group, because it's in about the same place as the walmart, and it's similarly unpleasant, from just the perspective of how its physical existence exists

and that dollar store feels like a goddamn bergdorf goodman compared to that walmart
    Tamlin said:

tbh, the awful, tangible feeling of decrepitude you get inside of a walmart AND ONLY WALMART has legitimately caused me to question my hardline materialism

it's a malevolent, spiritual force created from the unrestrained greed of the creation and operation of the place that resonates in a baleful manner with the human soul

this is a good post
  • Tamlin said:

I think y'all just have that headache thing I have but not as bad

or I'm more spiritually attuned than the rest of you. One or the other.
  • edited 2017-09-23 02:53:43

tbh you strike me as a very spiritually attuned person generally speaking

it goes with the whole witch shtick in my mind
  • I did recently become a philosophical neopagan without telling anyone so maybe you're right.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Bee said:

When Walmart moved into my hometown, they said explicitly in a press release that their goal was to force the local K-Mart, Office Depot, and about half the local mall out of business.  Zero of those things remain.

how this hasn't resulted in an antitrust lawsuit somehow is beyond me
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    The Walmarts here are tiny. It's very strange. Everything is bigger in Texas, except for Walmart. 
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Tamlin said:

I felt this way at Atlantic City
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-09-25 08:42:08
    lee4hmz said:

Bee said:

When Walmart moved into my hometown, they said explicitly in a press release that their goal was to force the local K-Mart, Office Depot, and about half the local mall out of business.  Zero of those things remain.

how this hasn't resulted in an antitrust lawsuit somehow is beyond me
    Because they weren't out to become a monopoly by combining with those other places.  They were out to become a monopoly by killing those other places dead.  That is perfectly legal.