Ever get those Art Feels?

Like, for any artperson out there. Music, writing, whatever.

Where you behold somebody's work who is the same age as you, or just a little older, and their creations are magnificent and awe-inspiring with tons of fans, and as you analyze trying to comprehend how somebody could make something like that, you look back at your own stuff and feel a despair and shame, a feeling of defeat, as you realize that it's something you can't do yet?

I don't know the word for it. Inadequacy? Shame? Its this feeling that something I really enjoy isn't as great as it could be. And I want to improve, but don't know how. I can experiment all I want, copy lines, re-draw pictures, TRACING, but will I really be improving this way?

I could go to college for art, despite everyone telling me its a bad idea and a great way to let banks disguised as colleges become the villains of my personal story, but really I just know better. Maybe I could audit some digital art classes, or become the mentoree of some great artist I really like. Maybe google and pirated art books are literally all I need.

I don't know. I've improved a lot, but it feels really slow. Maybe theres something I don't know yet that can speed it up. I just have this lingering feeling that makes me want to stop drawing.

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Thomas Pynchon had already written Gravity's Rainbow when he was my age

I should just kill myself
  • i see a lot of people who are younger than me who are better, but i don't fret, ive only just started and i have SO MUCH to learn...

when i see someone do something i havent done, i try and do it. im always trying new things, i think that's the secret
  • another good thing is just... to focus on making stuff that looks nice?

i try and make everything i make aesthetically pleasing in some way, even if it sucks.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    wise cat is wise

i do get this kind of feeling but, i feel like it's not a good way to think?  honestly it's always felt kind of silly and arrogant for me to compare myself to people who are actually good, and so for the longest time it never really bothered me cuz like, of course i'm not on their level!

at some point, maybe it was uni that did it, maybe realizing i'm not a kid anymore, i started comparing my work to other people's and feeling inadequate.  but it's not a constructive way to think, and really, i know i haven't put the time into, like, anything that people who are good have done.  i'm a jack of many trades and a master of none.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I fairly feel Tach's above post, so.