i feel kinda nauseous rn

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    Nausea is a weird feeling because it's unpleasant, but you can't quite describe it as pain, and you can't quite describe it as an emotion either
    I think about it because it's one of the examples brought up generally to show a mental state not marked by intentionality.
  • kill living beings
    so's like, hunger, and temperature until it's extreme, and stuff

anyway: do you think there are any crimes so heinous that amnesty should never be granted for them, even if there's a possibility that doing so would prevent greater crimes

so's like, hunger, and temperature until it's extreme, and stuff

anyway: do you think there are any crimes so heinous that amnesty should never be granted for them, even if there's a possibility that doing so would prevent greater crimes
    No hunger and temperature feel more intentional to me
  • kill living beings
    intentional?

and in that case how about itchiness
  • edited 2017-09-13 17:23:33

do you think there are any crimes so heinous that amnesty should never be granted for them, even if there's a possibility that doing so would prevent greater crimes

no, the point of having laws/a justice system/ect. is the prevention of crime, not inflicting punishment on criminals (which is a largely pointless and tedious endeavor)

intentional?

and in that case how about itchiness
    https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/intentionality/
  • kill living beings
    weird necro well whatever

i should have known that but i didn't. I guess in that case yeah, when you're nauseous you don't have a like, image of nausea, or anything, like you do with hunger. you're just nauseous. though that might very sometimes, you might think "my stomach is upset". but if you're really nauseous you pretty much lose all ability to intend anyway. maybe real hunger could be like that too

that reminds me of something kind of funny, in a weird way, about my education

I had a class that was supposed to teach the very basics of clinical research practice along with developmental neuroscience, i.e. how brains and nervous systems grow. As such we had a class project to come up with a therapy for a currently incurable and/or difficult to treat problem using neural stem cells.

This was kind of a bad idea on the professors' part since those are hard to treat for a reason. We ended up with this kind of case study in the limits of case studies and science. My group got fibromyalgia. Fibromyalgia is, to sum up, where you feel chronic pain and a doctor can't figure out why. There are some theories about physical causes but they might as well be bullshit for all the good they do. If pain is traceably caused by some nervous system defect it's called "neuropathic" instead; if it's psychological it's called "psychogenic"; pain that's actually appropriately linked to actual physical harm has no special name that i recall; fibromyalgia is basically the rest, if it's chronic.

so it's kind of this reverse mad pain situation in which someone feels pain even though there's nothing we can recognize as a painful stimulus. I mean, so's neuropathic and psychogenic, but then we can identify some way in which the pain perception is messed up.

being neuroscientists in training, we ignored this and i think asked the profs to switch to some kind of neuropathic pain we could actually treat, because the only treatment for fibromyalgia we could come up with was replacing the entire nervous system, obviously ridiculous but hey maybe a new brain will fix your problem

others didn't do much better. i think the autism people decided to go with some crank theory that it was caused by brain hypoxia during development
  • Full nervous system replacement

I read a hentai doujin featuring that last night
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I am curious.
  • Obā-san said:

Full nervous system replacement

I read a hentai doujin featuring that last night

o__o
  • I'm on the bus so I shouldn't scrounge around for it but it was on nhentai and featured characters from... robopon iirc
  • I remember it because it had a very like super deformed cutesy art style, which is always a plus
  • kill living beings
    thank you for making my stupid derail into a full on off road adventure through a deadly pass in the ancient, uncaring mountains
  • I had never even heard of robopon before
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Always a good time, quite frankly.