do it

"ooooh it's just twitter" THAT is the POINT

it's like twitter

but it's not twitter

join mastodon today

Comments

• kill living beings
    You got a user name
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    i'm @sl2c@tiny.tilde.website
    at one point i tried to convince @lee4hmz to make a mastodon server but that never happened
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I thought it would be the band :(
  • You got a user name

I don't know how to get the full thing
    what server are you on
  • I am @tatterhood@mastodon.social but I never use it oops
  • edited 2017-09-04 18:16:12
    Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    oh you're just on mastodon.social; this was intended to follow my other post lmao ninja'd
  • I am also @tatterhood@icosahedron.website but I definitely don't use that one.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I thought you meant the band and I was thinking, "But I suck at playing instruments. ;___;"
  • @trespeak@mastodon.xyz

and also @tre@octodon.social but I don't use that one
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Calica said:

at one point i tried to convince @lee4hmz to make a mastodon server but that never happened

I probably just forgot about it :(
  • edited 2017-09-05 04:23:09
    how does this work?  do i have to make a different username on a different server and if so how do i get to the server?  can i make my own server or do i have to pay for it?  is there inter-server communication or is each server separate like irc networks?

also where are pterodactyl, triceratops, saber-tooth tiger, and tyrannosaurus?
  • how does this work?  do i have to make a different username on a different server and if so how do i get to the server?  can i make my own server or do i have to pay for it?  is there inter-server communication or is each server separate like irc networks?

All of these questions are answered on its website but: 1.) Like Twitter but different, 2.) No? just make one on whichever one you like the most, 3.) It's open source but presumably you'd need your own hosting, 4.) Yes that's the entire point.
    you make a username on a server you like and then possibly other usernames on other servers if you really want, you can make your own server and you'd only need to pay like $10-20/month for hosting, and inter-server communication is kind of the point yeah
    y'all https://cybre.space is open for a day you should get in on this amazing opportunity
  • thanks for the heads-up; joined
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I don't use Mastodon that often, but if anyone wants to follow me, I'm @centralavenue@witches.town
  • edited 2018-03-16 05:02:47
    Calica said:

y'all https://cybre.space is open for a day you should get in on this amazing opportunity

so what exactly is this place like?  aside from basic and technical aspects.

like, what distinguishes this from mastodon.social?
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    I'm @vtk@plural.cafe
  • just curious, is it widespread considered customary to indicate one's preferred pronouns, or just something that a few people do here and there?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It tends to be more common in circles with a large proportion of LGBTQ+ people. It's not going to look weird if you don't do it, but it's convenient for others if you do.

(Also it's not unique to Mastodon; people do the same thing on Twitter and even some Discord servers)
  • edited 2018-04-28 06:33:53
    oh okay. thanks!

also, since i ran across this

https://mashable.com/2017/04/06/you-cant-delete-your-mastodon-account/ <-- the analogy with e-mail is...actually really apt.  once you send someone an e-mail, you no longer have full control of the message.  so it's arguable that this is a useful perspective of thinking of it.  (or alternatively, message boards, because most messages are public, but one where you can't delete your posts and they stay up forever.)
  • hey, does anyone know how to look at a list of all the accounts i've followed?

i want to unfollow a couple of that aren't really in use; is there a better way than to type that name back in and click the unfollow button?
    There should be a tab for it on your own Mastodon page, e.g. https://mastodon.social/@moocowpong1
  • Calica said:

There should be a tab for it on your own Mastodon page, e.g. https://mastodon.social/@moocowpong1

oh sweet, thanks!
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion

just curious, is it widespread considered customary to indicate one's preferred pronouns, or just something that a few people do here and there?

Some of us would like that to be the norm everywhere
    Calica said:

i'm @sl2c@tiny.tilde.website

I'm also @sl2c@cybre.space now btw
    IJBM: witches.town didn't exist long enough to give me enough material for an "American Pie" filk
    bitches.town
    so the flagship mastodon.social is down right now, probably because of an influx related to Twitter getting 13% of their income from Cambridge Analytica.

I can provide anyone an invite to cybre.space for a second account if they want it.  DM me.
  • edited 2018-05-01 01:47:38
    There's also various other instances that have open registration, though they may be smaller.

FWIW I now have an account on a handful of instances.  Including one whose character limit is 4096 instead of 512, somehow.  Not sure how federating with it works.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    plural.cafe has open registration, but I don't think they want a big influx of singlets creating accounts there...
  • vtk said:

plural.cafe has open registration, but I don't think they want a big influx of singlets creating accounts there...

What's a "plural system" and what's a "plural-friendly singlet" and what's a "systemmate"?
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Plural system: a collection of at least two persons sharing one body / brain.

Systemmate: a peer within a plural system

Singlet: a person who has their body & brain all to themself

Plural-friendly singlet: a singlet who's cool with plurals

I guess you went and read something on the site?
    vtk said:

This tends to be reflective of my experience with Mastodon instances: the more generalized instances often have limited registration, and the ones with open registration tend to be oriented towards a specific niche audience.
  • vtk said:

Plural system: a collection of at least two persons sharing one body / brain.

Systemmate: a peer within a plural system

Singlet: a person who has their body & brain all to themself

Plural-friendly singlet: a singlet who's cool with plurals

I guess you went and read something on the site?

about/more, specifically.