How would you design your house?

edited 2017-08-24 18:53:31 in General
Would the walls have Wallpaper or Paint?  What colors, and what designs, in what rooms?

Are stripes acceptable?  Diagonal?  Vertical?  Horizontal?

Would you have a preference between white, off-white, and cream?

Is it tacky to decorate the ceiling?  

Would you have more paintings or windows?  Venetian blinds, or curtains?

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    More paintings than windows, certainly.

No wallpaper. Wallpaper is ridiculous.

I don't object to decorating the ceiling, but I can't think of how I'd do it.
  • edited 2017-08-24 19:28:25
    Aww, I was hoping this thread would be about floorplans.

Anyway, the walls would be painted, and each room would have a different color.

In fact, specifically, the walls would be painted with this special type of paint that can be written on with dry-erase markers and easily erasable.  Or, at least, one wall of every room or one section of one wall of every room would be like this.  Alternatives would be anything that has a surface that's similarly easily-markable and easily-cleanable.

White and cream (I'm not really sure what "off-white" means as a specific color) would be different colors as far as color selection goes, and they all go to the different "feel" of each room.  White is sort of your generic anything color, while cream is a warmer color.

It is not at all tacky to decorate the ceiling.  In fact, I would prefer the ceiling to be decorated, though tastefully.  For example, a room whose ceiling is a blue sky with clouds could be decorated with glow-in-the-dark stars, such that when the lights are turned off at night, one sees familiar (or one's own choice of novel) constellations.

I'd also prefer the ceiling to be used -- light objects can be suspended from the walls and ceiling, to free up space on the floor.

I prefer windows.  I could decorate the walls around the windows to create a wild mineral water that grabs life by the*AHEM* other interesting designs, such as making it so that looking out a window at a tree from a certain seat lines up "rest of" the tree as drawn around the window.

Curtains.  Curtains are easily cleaned; venetian blinds, no.  Curtains are also easier to fix when they have problems.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    This thread can be about Floorplans, too.
    "I'm not really sure what 'off-white' means as a specific color"

it means nothing, but that won't stop over 9000 people asking me on a daily basis for "off-white paper"
  • "I'm not really sure what 'off-white' means as a specific color"

it means nothing, but that won't stop over 9000 people asking me on a daily basis for "off-white paper"

...what IS your job anyway?
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

In fact, specifically, the walls would be painted with this special type of paint that can be written on with dry-erase markers and easily erasable.  Or, at least, one wall of every room or one section of one wall of every room would be like this.  Alternatives would be anything that has a surface that's similarly easily-markable and easily-cleanable.

i'm the kind of particle that's obsessive about cleaning but tends to procrastinate jobs that are difficult, so this idea really appeals to me

also like GMH i would choose a colour scheme for each individual room rather than theming the whole house, this thread appeals to me but i need more time to think about the specifics of what i'd do

"I'm not really sure what 'off-white' means as a specific color"

...what IS your job anyway?
    Forum Cow
  • on blueprint paper preferably
  • Forum Cow

Bee said:

on blueprint paper preferably

• vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    I want a house with vertical complexity. None of that boring "this is the first floor, this is the second floor" monotony. I mean like a split-level on crack. The basic vertical unit being a "half-level" four feet tall. Some rooms would be two half-levels high, some three. One or two special rooms might be four or five half-levels high.

Build the thing on a slope with an exposed basement.

In the summer, the waste heat from the A/C should be used to warm the water in the swimming pool.

Large windows everywhere. The shower / bathtub should be adjacent to a large window, so it's like bathing outside. (Preferably with a view of the back yard, not the street.)

Catwalks for cats.

A large hobby room with some kind of movable elevated platform supported from the ceiling, so you don't have to walk on the maps / Lego city / model railroad that completely covers the floor.

A dumb waiter big enough to carry a load of laundry. While we're at it, a laundry chute.

A big screen TV mounted on the ceiling over the master bed.

Color-changeable LED lighting in every room.
  • ^That sounds quite interesting.