OM NOM NOM - The thread for all things delicious

Comments

• Made that soup after all. My parents liked it, though I think I should cook the onions more next time, to a nice brown colour
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Yeah, I usually cook them until they're pretty much completely caramelized. 

Last time I made it I used this recipe. 

The baguette and cheese is optional. 
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Justice42 said:

The baguette and cheese is optional. 
    You, sir, are no Frenchman.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Guys, I'm going to have about an entire week to cook.

Ideas? "Healthy" ones, if possible.
  • Made the onion properly brown and caramelized today. According to my parents, the result is much better.

I'll take their word for it, as, personally, I hate soups and cooked vegetables, so I didn't even try what I've made :) Still, I'm proud of myself :)

Guys, I'm going to have about an entire week to cook.

Ideas? "Healthy" ones, if possible.

Got a small pack of side-cut ribs and a small tuna steak.

I've decided to try Korean tonight.

Those are both delicious, relatively easy, and are grilled dishes. 

Just add some kimchi, rice, and maybe some romaine lettuce if you want to go all out with the beef. 

Beholder said:

Made the onion properly brown and caramelized today. According to my parents, the result is much better.

Yay!
  • edited 2013-03-09 13:33:50
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Also, this is a favorite of mine: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/classic-beef-pot-roast-10000001536793/

Should be pretty healthy. Definitely more involved than my other two suggestions, but delicious.

...I hope I'm not throwing out a bunch of ideas with near impossible ingredients to obtain over there... 
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I don't know about tuna, but beef, kimchi, and rice, is definitely able to get here. I'll definitely be able to make that pot roast. Thanks.

Cool. I hope you like it.

You could probably sub out the tuna steak with some other fish if you wanted to give it a go. You'll want it to be a thick cut of something. 

A metal sheet, tin foil, and an oven preheated to 250 degrees fahrenheit seem to work well in restoring leftover pizza to it's former glory.

45 minutes worked pretty well. I might try five minute more next time.

• Tried making chicken mango curry http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/mango_chicken_curry/ at Leigh's advice. Turned out quite nice, even though I don't have blender and couldn't have bothered with it even if I had it, so it turned out more chunky. But both me and my parents actually prefer it that way.

Also, I've added some anise and cardamom, as, in my opinion, there cannot be too much of either :)
  • edited 2013-04-04 12:17:10
    Made a rather nice salad of thinly sliced radish, orange and lemon zest and juice, some chilli flakes and mint.

Note to self - add less chilli next time.

Lunch:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/vietnamese-sandwich/

Was great, subbing beef for pork worked great.

I a little bit of shredded carrot our a few carrot sticks couldn't hurt, but it was fine regardless.

• Finally got myself some five-spice powder, and immediately used it in stir-fry. The result is quite good.

Also, a good thing about stir-fry is that it can be made very quickly if one substitutes frozen vegetable mix for chopping fresh vegetables by hand. The result is not quite as good, but still very decent, and saves me a lot of thinking :) Just grab some meat / any vegetable mix that looks interesting / any eastern sauce to your liking.
  • edited 2013-04-07 09:18:29
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    A misreading of your post made me think: has anyone tried to make apple stir-fry?
  • Hmm, apples might be interesting in some recipes... I've tried making mango stir-fry, and it's delicious. Also tried oranges, but the result was not inspiring
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    The night before last, my family got takeout from a tiny Cambodian restaurant that we were previously unaware existed not too far from our house. Despite being sleep-deprived and feeling like crap at the time, it was legitimately some of the best takeout that I have ever had in my life.

• Noticed some strange thing. I like oranges much more than apples. In fact, oranges are among my favourite fruit while apples are something I am rather cold about. I don't mind them, but won't eat them if I have other options. However, all of the recipes involving oranges I've tried turned out to be underwhelming at best and vile at worst. Apples, on the other hand, tend to improve the taste of whatever dish they are used in, from pie to rice pudding to roasted potatoes to meat.

I've had good results with blood oranges.

I think blood oranges are a tad milder than regular oranges.
  • I should try that.

Perhaps I just get too exited when I see oranges in the recipe. I expect something very nice, and results are generic at best.

Besides, one thing I've learned is that watery fruits are difficult to use in cooking, period
    Blood oranges are magical things.
  • Made a dinner for my mother's birthday, French onion soup and chicken with 40 cloves of garlic (I still have no idea why exactly 40, regardless of the size of chicken and cloves)

That sounds like a lot of garlic. How was it?
  • I've made it before, and it's ridiculously easy and delicious. Basically, you put some garlic on a dish, along with some thyme, put a whole chicken over it, add butter, put it all in an oven and forget about it for an hour :)

Ah I see. The chicken sits on top of the garlic. That sounds delicious.
  • Yes, it sits on top, so it's not actually that garlic-y
    So it's a bed of garlic. Interesting.
  • I've tried what seems to be ridiculously easy and rather tasty salad from the take-out section of the store: shredded young cabbage, radish and ginger. Will try to make something similar at home
  • i made hummus

it's good, i think i added too much cumin
  • I don't particularly like hummus in itself, but I remember having an utterly delicious sandwiches with freshly-baked pita, hummus and meat back in Budapest. That restaraunt also offered a ridiculously cheap mint tea in huge glasses. Good times...

The salad with ginger turned out to be quite good.

Going to make beef stroganoff today. Rather easy recipe, and I've made it several times so I am unlikely to mess things up. Beef, onions and mushrooms sautéed in sour cream with some spice and mustard.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Mustard sounds like an interesting thing to put in it.
  • It adds some bite to the sour cream, but not too much of it. Seems perfect to me.
  • Beholder said:

It adds some bite to the sour cream, but not too much of it. Seems perfect to me.

I will have to suggest this to my mom the next time she makes it
    I'm going to try and make schmaltz chicken gumbo this Sunday.
    I burned the roux, so results on schmaltz chicken gumbo are inconclusive.
  • my mom and me made chocolate toffee

it turned out ok, but we're gonna try to find a recepie that uses less butter

Corn on the cob boiled for 20 to 25 minutes is delicious with butter and corn.

Also, fuck white corn.

That is all.
  • corn on the cob is best like grilled in aluminum foil
    Naney said:

corn on the cob is best like grilled in aluminum foil

This is the stone cold truth.
  • I enjoy boiled corn, and it is rather popular street vendor snack in the summer season - that is, about now :)

But we don't really have any other colours than the regular one. I'd like to try something else :)
  • edited 2013-06-02 01:29:50

In addition to boiled corn and steamed carrots, I made stuffed zucchini for the first time ever and pan fried lamb for the second time ever.

It became apparent I'll need practice stuffing vegetables, Friday informed me she's done it quite often and I should ask for help next time. Not so great presentation aside, the taste was cheesy, zucchini goodness and I think I'll make it again soon (I have more zucchini anyways).

Seems I've ignored zucchini for too long. Even without stuffing it, I quite enjoy the tasty, and it only require boiling for ~5 minutes in salty water and you have something edible, even the skin.

I cooked the lamb to a delicious medium rare with thyme and it tasted great with the Garlic-salted-peppered-minted-parsleyed butter I made. 

(I thank my Italian Cook book for the zucchini, Gordon Ramsey for the lamb).

An Italian themed dinner and a success at that. Also, minus the stuffing part, both dishes were not too difficult to make. Definitely a couple to bring back.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens

Sounds tasty, Justice.

Leigh and I had pan-grilled honey and red wine pork chops with baked sweet potato ad applesauce. Great flavors, though the starch should be replaaced by broccoli crows to soak up the sauces from now on.

And she made chocolate volcano cakes served with all-natural ice cream.

On that note, what dishes do Heapers make on a regular basis?

Friday tends to request my Green Thai curry, Thai cucumber Salad, and Steaks (usually rib-eye) the most.

Every once in a while, she has me cook up what I call a "traditional Japanese breakfast" for dinner. Rice, grilled mackerel, tamagoyaki, and Japanese steamed veggies.  

I also have a teriyaki recipe more or less memorized, though I don't break it out all that often.
  • edited 2013-06-02 01:29:06

Mr. Darcy said:

Sounds tasty, Justice.

Leigh and I had pan-grilled honey and red wine pork chops with baked sweet potato ad applesauce. Great flavors, though the starch should be replaaced by broccoli crows to soak up the sauces from now on.

I must say, I'm quite impressed that Leigh can make volcano cakes. The rest sounds great, too.

I request your "traditional Japaese breakfast" too!

• edited 2013-06-02 01:31:51

Remind me next time you guys are scheduled to have dinner here. Mackerel and the veggies requires a trip to Uwajimaya.
  • Justice42 said:

Mr. Darcy said:

Sounds tasty, Justice.

I must say, I'm quite impressed that Leigh can make volcano cakes. The rest sounds great, too.
    Thank you both, Darcy and Justice. :)
  • Made chicken adobo. Easy and delicios, probably one of the best things I've made this year. Father jokes that maybe they should have sent me in culinary trade school instead of university :)

Merely a joke, though - I'm not that good