OM NOM NOM - The thread for all things delicious

Comments

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Also, I'm making pumpkin pie (using actual pumpkin scooped from a sugar pumpkin) for the second time, tonight. Last time was a few nights ago.

Recipe was kinda bland. I'm hoping that it turns out better this time, using a different recipe and cinnamon, gram-cracker crust instead of a recipe that uses water as an ingredient and a flour crust, respectively.

So, made this crust: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/graham-cracker-crust-i/

Used A LOT less sugar. Friday suggested I just ignore it next time. I also used cinnamon gram-crackers, so there was no need to add more. 

Except I added 1/4 teaspoon fresh nutmeg and substituted a full teaspoon of fresh ginger for what they had in the recipe.

The result was probably the best tasting pumpkin pie I had ever had, but the texture was off (crust was too soft) and the pie was a tad burnt on the edges. 

I want to play with this more. Maybe let the crust cool after baking before adding the other ingredients, and also cooking the pie at a lower temp.

I might also lesson the honey, add a little brown sugar and some other spices (allspice, cloves). 

I will get you yet, perfect pumpkin pie!
  • edited 2012-11-05 05:08:39
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I tried making gumbo; fucked that up pretty badly.

First, I forgot to get thyme. Second, I all but burned the roux. Third, I put too much water. Fourth, I forgot to top it with spring onion.

Edible, though.
  • edited 2012-11-05 15:51:27
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

My first attempt at anything is often times kinda a wash.

I bet a second a attempt would result in much better results.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    It's the complicated things that end up a wash.

Simple things like sawmill gravy and biscuits are hard to mess up.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Since the army's forcing me to take a day off, I'm going to try my hand once again at the gumbo (my brother seemed to like the original, strangely enough). I'll keep a weather eye on the roux, get thyme, and use seafood instead of chicken.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    When Alton Brown did gumbo, he cooked the dark roux in the oven. This apparently saved a lot of trouble.
    Seafood gumbo take two: Pretty not butt. A bit on the slimy side, as I used both the roux as well as the okra thickeners, but it works. Also seems to be very little seafood, and a little too much sausage. But I think I'm getting the hang of it.

Hurray for "pretty not butt"!
    Hurrah hurrah
  • So

I got some Cracker Barrel cracker-cut cheese today. White double sharp cheddar.

I am nomming them

so hard

right now.

• The naan my mom made was good

the curried pork was surprisingly quite good as well

If peeps have a decent Thai restaurant around, and they do catfish, you should probably order that.

Pumpkin curry is also quite good.
  • Made pancakes last night (the English kind). Om nom nom nom nom.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    What are these ENGLISH pancakes?I'm used to pancakes being doughy slabs of simple carbohydrates. Ii
  • Justice42 said:

If peeps have a decent Thai restaurant around, and they do catfish, you should probably order that.

Pumpkin curry is also quite good.
    Man I love Thai food.

Gilda said:

What are these ENGLISH pancakes?I'm used to pancakes being doughy slabs of simple carbohydrates. Ii

Basically crepes. 
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    YummY
  • Justice42 said:

Gilda said:

Basically crepes. 
    English pancakes are traditionally more sarcastic than American pancakes.
    Your face is more sarcastic than American faces.
  • That's not cool.
  • So going back to cooking, Justice is making stir-fry tonight (right now in fact).  He uses a Martin Yan recipe for a stir-fry sauce that pretty much lets you pick your meats and veg.  So we're having beef stir fry with bell peppers, mushrooms and snow-peas.  I love using Snow-peas in stir-fry for crunch, it's either that or bamboo shoot.
  • For those of you who aren't sure who Martin Yen is, it's this guy:

Justice and I had the pleasure of seeing these exact mad-knife skills in action at Wong's King restaurant 
    New Years event a couple of years ago.

Veggies ended up a tad over cooked, but other than that, it was easily the best tasting stir-fry I had every made.
  • Made quite a nice stir-fry too. With chicken, bell peppers, leek, celery, corn and raisins. And a stick of cinnamon.

I even ate the vegetables, which is surprising considering that normally I hate cooked vegetables.

Though I can sometimes overcome my intense dislike for them by regarding them as "spices/herbs" - something I add into a dish for additional flavour - rather than "ugh, cooked vegetables".
  • Black tea+cranberry juice+red orange juice+oranges+dried apples+cowberry (cranberry works fine too, but cowberry is sweeter and I like sweet) +cinnamon+anise+cloves+a few minutes to warm it up.

Much better than I've expected, and I've expected it to be good. Also, tastes not unlike spiced wine, despite being alcohol-free.
    JUSTICE

CHRISTMAS IS A MONTH AWAY

TEACH ME THE WAYS OF THE ROAST TURKEY

It's actually probably Gilda or LeighSabio you want advice from. They're the ones that usually bring the Turkey and it's the most tender, awesome Turkey I've ever had, each time.

The secret seems to be use an oven bag (this recipe here does, and also has you make a basic stuffing).

This also gives you tons of juices you can use as gravy for potatoes.

Though, as mentioned, I'd get Gilda or Leigh's input. 

Speaking of Thanksgiving, the cranberry sauce was great, as usual. I really liked the stuffing, using bread like that gives the stuffing a texture quite unlike other stuffing I've had.

Friday made a great apple crumble and squigy chocolate log with moose and cream filing. Also, simply roasting some sweat yams turned out pretty well.

• my dad made a surprisingly bad turkey for thanksgiving.

Was it dry? 

Now that I have moist, delicious turkey to compare all the other Turkeys I've eaten, I think people often accidentally make very dry Turkey.
  • It was way overly moist.

He usually does a good job, he musta been tired.
    I didn't touch the turkey (I made the green bean casserole), but what I've seen Leigh do is just pull out the giblets, put it in an oven bag, put 1/2 cup water in the bottom of the pan, and cook it for the USDA recommended time.

It's not even sensitive to cooking at an exact temperature, since we cook it at 325 except for the last 40 minutes, when other dishes go in with it at 350. We've also made both unstuffed and stuffed turkeys that came out equally moist.

@KingCrackers

I would do what ^this^ post^says.

Also, the casserole was very good as well. It's a staple of my Thanksgivings, and it was great to have some despite not visiting my Dad and his wife this year.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I probably shouldn't be posting this here since it's not something I made myself, but...

Today, I went out for lunch and had a chicken salad sandwich on pretzel bread. The chicken salad had pineapple in it, which gave it an interesting citrus flavor. I would definitely be glad to eat it again.

Come to think of it, I should put pineapple in if I ever make my own chicken salad.

The thread has sort of become about things we've made, but earlier we had a lot more talk of delicious stuff in general. It's not like there's a set format here, or anything.
    Alright, thanks. 
  • edited 2012-12-16 18:44:11
    So, now that I am home, I've decided to try different recipes (and also bake more) because of more space and better access to ingredients.

I made this scone recipe today: http://www.marthastewart.com/344649/cream-scones?center=0&gallery=275051&slide=260775

It's quite good, actually. The scones are plain, but that just makes for a good base recipe; once I figure out measurements, I'll probably try adding nuts, berries or maybe some orange flavoring. Plus, they're good with just like jelly. They reminded me a bit of biscuits. The directions have funky mixing directions. Like, mixing all the dough together with a fork; I just mixed it with an electric mixer because using a fork, spoon or whisk just wouldn't combine everything together and it's too sticky to mix by hand.

Nothing wrong with plain scones since you're going to add jelly and butter and stuff anyways.
  • And then Jumpingzombie clogged up the entire thread with her mundane cooking experiences.

Mother worked late tonight and I needed to make dinner as well. There were no leftovers or thawed stuff for my go to dinners (mainly mustard chicken) so I kinda scrambled for something. I found this site for fried rice (http://justhungry.com/perfect-fried-rice-frying-pan-even-electric-range-or-hotplate) which turned out to be good instructions and a good recipe. I pretty much couldn't use any of the veggies they used in their example, so I added corn, carrots, mushrooms, onions, tomato (but not very much since they were frozen) and some leftover Cornish Game Hen; I thought it was going to be mundane since those are pretty dull foods but it turned out quite good.

I made shrimp toast for the second time last night.

It turned out pretty well, this time.

Friday had some good advice to fry it at a high temp in a shallow pan.

Be careful, though. Shallow Pan flies in through hot girls' winddows and tries to lure them to Neverland.

Heh, that took me a second...
    Turkey turned out alright. So did the mashed potatoes and the gravy.

Yay.

King Friday made delicious Red Velvet cake.

We fucked up and got coffee mascarpone cheese and then Friday screwed up her first Red Velvet Cake base, so she figured out how to make lemonade out of lemons, or in this case, Tiramisu out of our screw ups and it was rummy and delicious.

The rest of the food was delicious. Gravy made from the neck and giblets of the turkey is the way to go. My mom took out the liver and let the cat eat that, though. 
    I put the giblets in the cornbread stuffing cassarole myself.

Friday is going to take her existing red velvet recipe and adapt it to make the above.

Here's the original blue velvet, though I mistrust a velvet recipe that doesn't use mascarpone and Friday mistrusts using 11 egg whites.

LET THE THREAD WARS BEGIN!

Ahem...

Friday's Blue Velvet cake was awesome. I'm hoping to get even more blue berries next time. She used blue berry pie filling in the middle and made it vanillia instead of chocolate. It was awesome.

She also made her Sunday roast while my brother and his family where over. It was delicious as always. She used yams this time in place of where she'd normally use potatoes. 

My sister in law made Okonomiyaki, which was also delicious.

Other things that are delicious:

Pizza Hutt pizza when it is fresh from the oven and it's not over cooked. 

we actually sell these where I work.

They sell at a snail's pace unsurprisingly. I think we get about a case of them per month.