I have no idea what good prose is and neither do you

It's a lie that was invented to outsell penny dreadfuls in the victorian era

Comments

• i know it when i see it
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Tamlin said:

i know it when i see it

Then why is writing about prose like dancing about architecture
    https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2001/07/a-readers-manifesto/302270/

This whole article is meaningless
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    *excerpts from The Eye of Argon and Amanda McKittrick Ros*

there you go
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

The "literary" writer need not be an intellectual one. Jeering at status-conscious consumers, bandying about words like "ontological" and "nominalism," chanting Red River hokum as if it were from a lost book of the Old Testament: this is what passes for profundity in novels these days. Even the most obvious triteness is acceptable, provided it comes with a postmodern wink. What is not tolerated is a strong element of action—unless, of course, the idiom is obtrusive enough to keep suspense to a minimum. Conversely, a natural prose style can be pardoned if a novel's pace is slow enough, as was the case with Ha Jin's aptly titled Waiting, which won the National Book Award (1999) and the PEN/Faulkner Award (2000).

this doesn't seem meaningless to me, i mean there are clear criteria being specified

i dunno about good prose but i can certainly identify prose that i enjoy and prose that i don't, and to some extent identify the reasons
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    this article is very long and opinionated and not to my taste, but i don't think it's meaningless
  • edited 2017-08-14 14:20:26
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Agreed. It's coherent, it's just not necessarily *right.* For instance, I will agree that Proulx tends to go overboard with her wordplay fairly consistently, but that gruesome passage he cites as being "bad" is honestly a fantastic description of shock. He also doesn't seem to understand that "tonality" makes perfect sense in that sentence from Auster's Timbuktu, perhaps because he doesn't know a lot about music. The issue is not that his taste is narrow or bad per se, but that he has serious blind spots and seems to believe that all modern "literary" prose is somehow weaker than what preceded it, which is such a grumpy fussbudget position to take.

The last time I read it I was even less charitable, to be fair, but now that I'm past my irritation I just feel like I'm reading something with a clear thesis which is exceedingly biased and myopic rather totally ridiculous.
    Odradek said:

Tamlin said:

i know it when i see it

Then why is writing about prose like dancing about architecture
    https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2001/07/a-readers-manifesto/302270/

This whole article is meaningless
    You wouldn't think talking about words would be so hard

You wouldn't think
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Odradek.

Why are you fixating so hard on a moderately annoying article in the Atlantic.
    Tamlin said:

i know it when i see it

I thought this but then like

People will talk about good prose vs bad prose and none of it means anything to me, they are saying words, but none of them mean anything
    Odradek said:

Tamlin said:

i know it when i see it

I thought this but then like

People will talk about good prose vs bad prose and none of it means anything to me, they are saying words, but none of them mean anything
    Because a lot of people have ill-conceived opinions on things they don't need to have opinions about and yours may not align with other people's because fiction is inherently subjective?
    Okay but like

I literally have no idea what is being said
    If you mean that article specifically, it makes sense with the examples when he breaks down the different types of prose he dislikes (and likes) and why, but I can see getting weary of it very fast.