Cartoons

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Glitches in Disney feature animation aren't a new thing; there is a point in One Hundred and One Dalmatians where you can see lines of construction on the face of one of the puppies. Of course that movie has a "rougher" look to it than most Disney animated movies anyway...
  • That adds to its charm.

There's not a Disney movie before or since that has looked quite like 101D, its sequel included.
  • TreTre
    edited 2013-12-08 02:39:53

case in point
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    image isn't showing for me
  • i switched it for another one

it's Cruella
  • edited 2013-12-08 02:43:29
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ok i see it

thanks
  • edited 2013-12-08 02:53:44
    Seriously though, dude, that first image was downright stupidly huge.

Frankly, this is the first good look I've gotten of any of the Frozen characters besides that fucking dumbass snowman and there is no word I can think of describe how fundamentally repulsive I find that face.

Because "Uncanny Valley" is two words
  • I see we are in agreement
  • edited 2013-12-08 02:56:02
    i don't find them uncanny valley, they're too far removed for that

they're kind of cute, in a funny, slightly alien-ish sort of way
  • edited 2013-12-08 02:59:53
    tho imo they look better in motion than as a still image

and cmon Flynn is adorbs
  • edited 2013-12-08 03:03:30
    Tachyon said:

i don't find them uncanny valley, they're too far removed for that

they're kind of cute, in a funny, slightly alien-ish sort of way

It's a joke dude

As in not meant literally

Still a fucking awful face
  • edited 2013-12-08 03:33:39
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Glitches in Disney feature animation aren't a new thing; there is a point in One Hundred and One Dalmatians where you can see lines of construction on the face of one of the puppies. Of course that movie has a "rougher" look to it than most Disney animated movies anyway...
    I believe that was a result of Disney still learning how to make the Xerox process look appealing. 101 Dalmatians was their first film that used it.
  • Seriously though, dude, that first image was downright stupidly huge.

sor-ry
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I am re-watching Adventure Time from the beginning. It is enjoyable, although I think it really does pick up as the seasons go on. Then again, I only saw up to the end of the third, so I can't say for certain how the latter two are, other than that bringing on David O'Reilly was a stroke of genius on Ward's part.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I have officially watched the entire first season of Adventure Time.

It's a very fun show, and I look forward to digging through the remaining four.
    It gets better. Granted, the weaker episodes actually get weaker, or feel weaker in comparison, but the highs get higher and it is nice.
  • edited 2014-04-25 01:37:32
    After all this time, I have finally watched the entire second season of Adventure Time.

I'm starting to really get pumped for this show. I can't wait to dig into the third season, and see the worldbuilding continue to develop.
    I forgot to mention that I finished watching the entire third season of Adventure Time a few days ago.

I must say that I'm kinda curious how I would've reacted to this series as a kid, without knowing about the deeper themes many of these episodes are aiming for.

I appreciate a show that genuinely works on multiple levels like that.
    I've finished watching the entire fourth season of Adventure Time now.

I think it suffices to say that, at this point, my mind is pretty thoroughly blown by the show.

file this one under "Things I Never Thought I'd Enjoy As Much As I Do"

premieres November 3rd on Cartoon Network and airs through the rest of the week
    Conversation in the Trash Heap got me thinking: I never knew what to make of The Ricky Gervais Show's blend of its take on the Hanna-Barbera house style with the more deadpan - and British - voice work.

(I wonder if anyone caught that the show's title card references Yogi Bear's first title card)
    Tre said:

file this one under "Things I Never Thought I'd Enjoy As Much As I Do"

premieres November 3rd on Cartoon Network and airs through the rest of the week
    I finally got around to watching this, and I agree.
    i came here intending to make a post about RWBY but first i wanna reiterate, for anyone who hasn't seen it, that OTGW is a fantastically good, and very short series that i would highly recommend
  • edited 2016-04-02 14:30:57
    but anyway

i've been watching/rewatching (had previously seen only a little way into season 2) RWBY with my brother

i would not 'highly recommend it' but i'm glad i gave it a second chance

visually i don't think it's that great, but the design work on the characters, weapons and scenery are all pretty great, and the script is amusing

my biggest issue with it is still pacing-related, but i've had to revise that as well; i think they had the story for the first 3 seasons planned from the start, and the tone of the first opening theme and the trailers suggests to me that they just kinda screwed up on how quick the story moves.

like, already it seems a lot more exciting if you watch several episodes in succession, rather than following it as it comes out.  You could significantly improve it, imo, by either cutting the stuff about Jaune and Cardin altogether (it doesn't really add much and feels like it's written for a signficantly younger audience than the rest of the show which is more teen oriented, and that's weird), or restructuring things a little

combine seasons 1 & 2 into one season, have the scene with Emerald and Mercury at the bookstore near the start of season 1, integrate the Jaune vs. Cardin thing into the Blake is a faunus and Weiss is prejudiced arc so the drama involving main characters remains present and the Jaune stuff becomes light relief, leave the season 2 half of the season as-is because there's nothing really wrong with it, i think with those tweaks the show would have gotten off to a much stronger start

other main complaint would be the presentation of the White Fang, i get that they probably didn't want to make them too complicated, but i really don't find them plausible as a representation of a political movement, transitions from one ideology to another never happen that smoothly, it feels like they combined what should have been *at least* 4 factions into 1

but other than that . . . i like it, it's got an earnestness to it, it's a little rough but that gives it charm i think

i'm near the start of season 3 now, apparently it's gonna get dark but i'm looking forward to wherever it's going

e: whoops sorry for casual spoiler, if anyone cares
  • edited 2016-04-02 14:42:48
    also: Penny is great

and Ruby, Ruby is a fantastic character.  Like, that scene where she's trying to formally greet Winter near the start of S3?  That was one of the funniest things i've seen, seriously, even funnier than the food fight in S2
    Tachyon said:

i'm near the start of season 3 now, apparently it's gonna get dark but i'm looking forward to wherever it's going

watched "PvP"

D:
    Tachyon said:

Tachyon said:

watched "PvP"

D:
    Yeah, that hurt. :(
    and i'm caught up

well, a lot happened!  looking forward to finding out what happens next, whenever that is.

i am concerned for certain characters, as the writing team have shown themselves fond of a particular type of foreshadowing, some of which has been quite ominous

but we shall see
    I doubt they're doing that with Steven Universe. People actually watch Steven Universe.
  • edited 2016-04-06 03:13:29
    That's kinda why putting the notice of Uncle Grandpa's "renewal" in with SU's was kinda counterproductive if the intent was for people not to notice its cancellation, though.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Hurray, no more UG.
    Yeah. My problem is that CN didn't have the guts to tell the public that UG was being canned. I mean I know people don't really care for it but still, it feels like it's unfair.
    And there are still going to be new episodes coming out for years, so while I get why fans are upset, it's not like they completely put the kabosh on the show flat out. Getting so mad about it seems a bit... whiny.
    it still feels like CN failing at being sneaky though
  • edited 2016-04-06 03:44:14
    (Editing this out since I think I misread the creator's tweet.)
  • edited 2016-06-20 11:11:08
    Quick drop in - RWBY's at its best in Volume 3, if you ask me. They really know how to write their characters - and it's very easy to root for the heroes here (RWBY and JNPR especially).
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Watching the DVDs of Batman: The Animated Series for the first time.

Was "Christmas with the Joker" broadcast out of order? Because Robin is working alongside Batman with no explanation in that one, yet he's completely absent in every other episode so far. He'll get a proper introduction episode later, right?

I'd heard the mini speech, "I am vengeance. I am the night. I am Batman!" before. Its first appearance in this series is in "Nothing to Fear", and the context was not what I expected at all.
  • edited 2016-07-10 19:05:24
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Maybe he's just a lot more competent off-screen. But if not, the fact that no one's tried to fire Detective Bullock really demonstrates better than anything just how dire the manpower shortage is for Gotham PD.
    The DVDs are in production order, not broadcast order.

Of course, this makes "Christmas with the Joker" even more confusing.

It seems like Robin doesn't get a proper introduction episode until episode #32.
    Haha, Bruce Wayne was still just "a millionaire". Ah, the 90s.
    I like the chemistry between Batman and Catwoman, both in and out of costume. But I'm a bit frustrated that Batman learned Catwoman's secret identity, but she didn’t learn his. I prefer their interactions when both of them know each other's identities, or neither of them do. But I'm only one season in; there's still plenty of time left.
    Catwoman finds out later, IIRC.
  • edited 2016-07-16 06:00:05
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    MetaFour said:

Was "Christmas with the Joker" broadcast out of order? Because Robin is working alongside Batman with no explanation in that one, yet he's completely absent in every other episode so far. He'll get a proper introduction episode later, right? 

I forgot to mention this when I got to the episode, but "Fear of Victory" made the situation clear: Dick Grayson's in college now, living in the dorm rather than Wayne Manor. So he's only doing the sidekick thing when his college schedule permits. (And in "Christmas with the Joker", he was on winter vacation.) I was hung up because I assumed Robin was a full-time sidekick. Interesting decision, there.

Considering how the current cape movie boom is so focused on origin stories for every new hero, it's a nice change of pace to see an older series that begins with the heroes already established, and saves the origin stories for flashbacks later.

Anyway, more recent stuff: "Perchance to Dream" shows us, without explicitly spelling it out, that Bruce simply cannot conceive of a Gotham City that doesn't need Batman. Seriously, Bruce's most idyllic fantasy is a world where his parents were still alive, so he never created the Batman identity, but someone else did

Also, Timm and Dini revisited the premise in Justice League Unlimited, with their adaptation of "For the Man Who Has Everything". I don't recall offhand how much detail that comic went into about Bruce's lotus-induced fantasy in that one, but I do remember that cartoon just boiled it down to Thomas Wayne beating the everloving tar out of that gunman. If they had gone into detail about his adult life in that fantasy, then they'd have just rehashed material from "Perchance to Dream."

"Cat Scratch Fever": I just mistook that reporter for Selina Kyle. Dammit, that one Shortpacked comic is true!
    Ron Perlman's voice for Clayface reminds me of Bender, for some reason. When Stella put him in that containment suit, I almost expected him to say, "Bite my shiny bronze ass!"
    i've started watching Korra

i don't think it started as strongly as Avatar, and the New York theming is an odd decision, but i'm enjoying it so far
  • 'ay I'm bendin' 'ere!!
  • My dreams exceed my real life

'ay I'm bendin' 'ere!!

There are no dwarves in Korra
    i recently learned that "Water Park Prank" was extremely unpopular with Adventure Time fans and i'm sort of confused

like i guess i can understand not liking it, the humour is different from the usual and of course the art is different and the story is quite basic, but people were calling it 'filler' and i feel like that's not how the show works; it's a guest animator episode and that's it's purpose, it's not meant to pad things out or whatever

myself, i liked it.  it had a nostalgic sort of feel to me, like watching old British children's shows.  and the little whistle lifeguard was cute.