Anime

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Tamlin said:

it isnt bad persay, but it definitely operating on the expectation that you wanna schtup the kid

See I know a lot of people are bothered by that kinda thing but I tend to be immune to it because I just end up imagining myself as the kid
  • edited 2017-04-12 20:40:46
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

Tamlin said:

it isnt bad persay, but it definitely operating on the expectation that you wanna schtup the kid

See I know a lot of people are bothered by that kinda thing but I tend to be immune to it because I just end up imagining myself as the kid
    This is reminding me that I think you would really like Shinobu from the -monogatari series, particularly from Nisemonogatari on where she actually does things and totally wrecks people's shit.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Noted!!
  • kill living beings
    i saw Your name. and would rate it as pretty cute

your name was mitsuha, though, not much of a fuckin mystery is it

director must have a thing for long distance relationships

i was well and prepared to find and murder shinkai before that final bit though

• Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I really want to go to a theater and see it, but I cannot.
  • been getting funimation ads for it lol
  • kill living beings
    it was in the in-flight entertainment. happy day.

i was expecting something more... film-y though.

what i mean is that it had anime boob scenes (not like, disgusting obvs)
  • kill living beings
    oh yeah, also there was a bit of that "oh, so that's shinto gods huh" feel like princess mononoke, so that's cool
  • it was in the in-flight entertainment. happy day.

i was expecting something more... film-y though.

what i mean is that it had anime boob scenes (not like, disgusting obvs)

i once accidentally watched a large chunk of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by watching someone else's screen in a plane
  • I saw a bunch of Django Unchained that way
  • there's Sketchbook and Hidamari Sketch I think
    also standard well-known stuff like Lucky Star and K-On!

i'm usually not much into this genre

though i CAN rec a couple rather entertaining deadpan x crazy people series - Haruhi Suzumiya and (to a lesser extent) Rocket Girls

i've also seen Leviathan: the Last Defense but that's more derpy-cute than moë

cutesy/moë but drama: uta~kata
  • oh how did i forget!

Atelier Escha & Logy
  • kill living beings

it's cute.
  • Why does "Y's" appear around 1:00?

apparently the perfect character design existed and nobody told me??? what the hell guys
  • her eyes look like they're about to fall off of her head
  • kill living beings
    did u like it
  • Jane said:

what the hell is J to X

Saber Marionette J to X is some sort of sci-fi anime which, if this picture is to be believed, is the second best anime of all time (the first best is Cat Planet Cuties)
    Despite having an interest in checking out the Saber Marionette series, I always forget Saber Marionette J to X exists.
  • K L M N O P Q R S T U V W
  • did u like it

yes!

Quite a lot. I thought it was very interesting and a neat case study on how you don't need a strong (or even clear) narrative through-line to make a work compelling.
  • kill living beings
    that's a pretty good thing to get out of it, but i must admit i preferred SAC and my ability to understand what the hell was happening in it
  • I have technically seen SAC, but it was on [adult swim], early in the morning, many years ago, with the volume turned way down, etc. etc.

so I will probably want to rewatch it with a clear head some day
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Innocence is the rare sequel which I think I enjoyed more than the original, which is weird because a lot of people are way less fond of it?
  • kill living beings
    SAC on adult swim was one of the first non-pokemon animes i saw (bits of). I think my reaction was "this is pretty violent" and "what is she wearing, i gotta change the channel before my parents walk in"
    I saw a few minutes of one of the quiet moments in Cowboy Bebop and was like, "This is way too deep into a story I don't know to follow, and I think way too genuinely adult for me to understand right now, but this is probably actually pretty cool."
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

that's a pretty good thing to get out of it, but i must admit i preferred SAC and my ability to understand what the hell was happening in it

This confirms my desire to watch SAC despite not being huge on the films, so thanks for that, heh.

I saw a few minutes of one of the quiet moments in Cowboy Bebop and was like, "This is way too deep into a story I don't know to follow, and I think way too genuinely adult for me to understand right now, but this is probably actually pretty cool."

I vaguely remember having exactly the same reaction, or at least a similar enough one, as a kid to similar exposure to it.
    It's one of those shows which I'm not sure I actually like that much on a gut level but I recognise is high art regardless.

Space Dandy, though, is having my cake and eating it.
    I look forward to returning to BooBies Space Dandy at some point.
  • kill living beings

yeah you really need a lot of backstory to understand mushroom samba
  • edited 2017-04-30 05:06:14
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^ Same. I need more dandiness in my life.

^ It involved Faye and Spike and it was clear to me that these people had a dynamic I was not getting the full picture on from the last few minutes of some random episode.
  • edited 2017-04-30 05:07:11
    We can do anything if we do it together.

It's one of those shows which I'm not sure I actually like that much on a gut level but I recognise is high art regardless.

Space Dandy, though, is having my cake and eating it.

I think Texhnolyze is that kind of show for me.

I really should watch Space Dandy someday, though.
  • edited 2017-04-30 05:07:56
    The second episode of Plastic Memories starts with a certain character showing up, one who is the obnoxious kind that doesn't do stuff right but cheats and then smugly smooth-talks their way out of it.

Also the OP is...a little tonally schizophrenic.  Is it in C minor/Eb major or F minor?

So apparently these robots have free will, a human's level of intelligence and even empathy, need exercise to stay in shape, and even need to use the bathroom.  (Or maybe not...?)

(no spoilers please)

----

Aria the Scarlet Ammo was about a boy who becomes a combat master (albeit an obnoxiously condescending one) when he gets aroused, and that was...one of the worst premise ideas I've ever heard.

Aria the Scarlet Ammo AA, however, seems to feature Aria the upperclassman (upperclassgirl?), who's basically one of the school's best, and a wannabe apprentice who's apparently very very much an Aria fangirl even though she generally sucks at everything (with some key exceptions though).

I guess they decided to just cut out the guy main character and simply make it about cute girls doing stylish combat.  That's an improvement over the previous arrangement, at least.
  • Aria AA is bad imo.

I've only watched the first two episodes though but like.

It's not good.

Like it's not like removing the male protagonist somehow changes the fact that all the characters are terribly written less-than-one-note characters.

Also the OP is...a little tonally schizophrenic.  Is it in C minor/Eb major or F minor?

I mean, a lot of songs are modal or slightly chromatic; and F minor and C minor share all but one note, so it kind of... doesn't matter?
  • edited 2017-04-30 05:26:58
    DYRE said:

Aria AA is bad imo.

I've only watched the first two episodes though but like.

It's not good.

Like it's not like removing the male protagonist somehow changes the fact that all the characters are terribly written less-than-one-note characters.

If that's all that's wrong with it I'm sure I'll find some way to enjoy it.

I mean, a lot of songs are modal or slightly chromatic; and F minor and C minor share all but one note, so it kind of... doesn't matter?
    It's using chords in an odd way that ends up feeling like it jumps between the two unexpectedly, and so resolutions and typical chord motion get interrupted rather frequently.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing, though.  I just haven't figured out its logic yet.
  • kill living beings
    recreators seems like it's more about artistes than the characters, which has good and bad points

regardless

cosplay

Spoiler:

the ultimate spoiling

Spoiler:

(good consistency, subbers)

• apparently the fansub groups have just been ripping Amazon Streaming's official subs, which are apparently really bad.
    The Royal Tutor is very nice and fun and the boys are alright.
  • Update re the tonality thing on the Plastic Memories OP:

Might have to do with a feeling of being on the border between two different states.

And it's fitting in a way because the story IS about a metaphor for passing away, and the way thinking about it affects oneself and the others around oneself.
  • kill living beings
    zero keeps making jokes about sex slavery and i keep laughing at them. bad
  • https://twitter.com/GhostInShell/status/838479496390967297

the whitewashing was bad. renaming the character was confusing. but this... this. i don't even know what to say about this

(["You can forgive racism?" gif from community])

Really late to the punch, but: There are approximately 37.2 trillion cells that fill my body. If the word 'hate' was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those trillions of cells it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for the person who composed this at this micro-instant. Hate. Hate.

All comedic exaggeration and Harlan Ellison references aside, that trailer was what I feared was going to happen to the GITS live-action movie, which is to say the visuals of the movies were lovingly re-created, but none of the brains of the animated movies that made them so endearing to me are there and we're left with a very pretty, but very vapid action movie, which isn't what makes GITS so endearing to me. And all the reviews I've read have agreed with my first impressions. And dubstepifying the theme from the GITS movie is just gauche, IMHO.

Anyway, Production IG announced a new Ghost in The Shell project and it's gonna be co-directed by the guy who directed Stand Alone Complex.

http://www.productionig.com/contents/news/2017/04/april_7_2.html
  • I saw that trailer vid and I have to say that I felt vaguely interested, and this is probably because I have not seen the original thing.
  • kill living beings
  • kill living beings