Anime

edited 2012-03-25 20:28:02 in General Media
I don't watch a lot of it now.
Tagged:

Comments

• It's 4:20 somewhere.
    The day before yesterday I went to some sort of international anime festival they had in Tokyo. They had a bunch of indie artsy stuff on display as well as mainstream anime and animation from other countries. Tunisia even had a booth.

By the way, there's a lot of advertisements for Vocaloid over here, as well as a bunch of Hatsune Miku merch.
  • edited 2012-03-25 20:33:58
    Personally, I've found myself pretty much completely turned off to anime (with the exception of Studio Ghibli) after spending so much time surrounded by otakus on TVT.
  • Tunisia?

Tunisia?

...huh.

Also was any of the indie artsie stuff good?

Personally, I've found myself pretty much completely turned off to anime (with the exception Studio Ghibli) after spending so much time surrounded by otakus on TVT.

ANIME FANS, FUCKING RUN.

• edited 2012-03-25 20:36:37
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    So, uh, I liked Azumanga Daioh, and uh, Excel Saga...I even kinda liked Manyu Hikencho although...yeah.

I have not seen a lot of anime. I suppose it's the fandom that turns me off. SORRY
  • I'm honestly kind of confused when people say "anime fandom". You realize there's like....a different one for each series, right?

There are some common traits overall, but say, LuckyStar and Dragonball fans really have very little in common.

• edited 2012-03-25 20:39:16
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    The only anime I've watched extensively are Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh! up to season 3. Not much to go on, I know. Dragonball, Sailor Moon, and Cardcaptor Sakura look appealing, though. Of course, any other recommendations are welcome.

Never really got involved with the fandoms of any particular anime, so I can't comment on that.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    The Tunisian stuff looked more or less low budget and political. The indie stuff looked very interesting and pretty. They had some stop motion stuff with novel materials, some trippy computer animated stuff, and really colorful... patterns? Some of it defies description, but it was pretty sweet.

And for fuck's sake, ignore fans if they annoy you. You don't have to become or interact with shitty people if you just enjoy a work.
  • Avoiding the bad part of the assorted anime fandoms can easily be accomplished by not going to Sankaku Complex or /a/.

Problem solved.

That said if the idea of fandoms itself annoys you, well, I don't know what to tell you.

The indie stuff looked very interesting and pretty. They had some stop motion stuff with novel materials, some trippy computer animated stuff, and really colorful... patterns? Some of it defies description, but it was pretty sweet.

I see that indie anime is still very much the type of stuff I used to see on SameHat! back when I followed it. Good to know.

maybe it is because of how ridiculous the plot is and how serious it thinks it is?

Yu-Gi-Oh anime

serious

hwat

NO. ANIME FANDOM IS BAD.
  • Do Teen Titans, Code Lyoko, and Avatar: The Last Airbender count as anime despite not being Japanese?

Depends on who you ask. Just like some people consider Bizenghast a manga and some don't.

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    IT MIGHT AS WELL BE [/abrupt Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged reference]
  • edited 2012-03-25 20:56:38
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Yeah, Sankaku Complex is where the old TVT meme about the LOLI RAPE BUNKER came from. That should give you some idea as to how tightly their heads are screwed on over there. :P 

I really liked Azumanga Daioh, but I never got into Lucky Star precisely because some of the fans really grossed me out. The show itself may well be fine, but bluh.
  • LuckyStar's fans are predominantly young girls and people of my age who find its weird humor funny.

The KONATA IS MAI WAIFU are a minority in the extreme.

Of course a lot of people dislike LuckyStar because it's in the moe art style and MOE IS THE CANCER THAT IS KILLING ANIME or something.

• edited 2012-03-25 20:59:51
    Not a fan of a lot of these series. About the only series I watched in full was FLCL, which is only 6 episodes. Studio Ghibli films are also one of the exceptions, but what do you expect, they're great films on their own.
  • edited 2012-03-25 21:03:59
    Lucky Star... Only really watched a couple (pretty well) fandubbed episodes, but I do admit that what little I saw was pretty funny.
  • Personally I think that if you're going to go dub you should go official dub. 

Some people think that LuckyStar's dub is the worst thing ever(tm) though, so I dunno.

I can't watch anything dubbed.

Just can't.
  • edited 2012-03-25 21:10:52
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I could explain but why not let Borges do it for me?
  • I myself also vastly prefer subbing to dubbing, though I do make exceptions, like Howl's Moving Castle.

Billy Crystal as a fire demon seems surprisingly fitting.
  • >on dubbing movies

I....really don't see how that relates to anime. Which is animated.

Also that is a very....pretentious, article.

It's one thing to prefer one practice to another, an entirely different one to suggest that one somehow destroys the movie.

There's still a sense of fakery. You can still tell that the voices don't belong, that they aren't the genuine article. That it's forced. I cannot endure this. I CANNOT.
  • That would again, concern me so much more if I was watching a live action movie as opposed to an animation, where things are inherently fake anyway.

• edited 2012-03-25 21:19:05
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I dunno. I tried watching Excel Saga with the dub and found it unendurable. It's just...wrong.

I'd rather read subtitles.
  • edited 2012-03-25 21:24:00
    You can still tell that the voices don't belong, that they aren't the genuine article.
    I'm gonna have to call YMMV on that one. Personally, I find it usually all depends on which you hear first, but then I may have a more flexible face/voice reaction than many people.
    I don't know. Just take my word for it.

Maybe I am really sensitive...
    It is the secret of my power.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    For the most part, I don't care one way or the other whether what I watch is dubbed or subbed. But I think I'm accustomed enough to Pokémon's English dub that watching a subtitled version with the Japanese dialogue would feel a little weird. Not a good or a bad kind of weird, just neutral weird. I'm not sure exactly why this is.
  • Because you're accustomed to the English Dub, like you said?

• This simply confirms my earlier observation, methinks.
  • edited 2012-03-25 21:58:50
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    ^^Well, derp. I was wondering if there were any other factors involved, though.

Also, yes, I am used to the anime dub where rice ball treats are jelly donuts.
  • edited 2012-03-25 22:05:59
    I never got that kinda nonsense, really. I mean, if they really felt the need to call rice balls something other than "rice balls", why not call them something they look like, like snowballs?

^Well, they did look like powdered donuts, at least. I have absolutely no clue where ice cream bars, sandwiches, and chocolate eclairs came from, though.

From what I've read elsewhere, they did eventually give it up and start calling them rice balls most of the times they appeared.
  • 4kids is....weird about dubbing.

Just....weird. There really is no other way to describe it.

Their methods are not the norm, though.

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Friday and I are watching Bleach. It goes a lot faster if you skip all the filler and episode recaps. There's only about 15 minutes of new material worth watching per episode. Also we end up skipping 20 or 40 episodes at a time due to filler.

Recently finished watching Durarara. 

Currently watching Nurarihyon no Mago because it's chock full of all so wonderfully quirky Japanese folklore spirits.

Friday is also showing me Shigurui, which is well disturbing. 

We need to finish Texhnolyze, which is one of Friday's favorites. 
    The last anime I watched was Tiger and Bunny, which I liked enough to finish.
  • edited 2012-03-26 12:50:05
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

I heard about that. I need to watch that too.

I also need to keep watching Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt.

And I have about 10 episodes left of Macross Frontier
  • edited 2012-03-26 13:02:19

• LWLW
    edited 2012-03-26 13:05:50

Disliking the anime fandom strikes me as a good reason to not hang out in anime forums or talk about watching the stuff in public, but I am not sure it makes as much sense as a reason to not watch Japanimation at all since how fans act does not actually have much of an impact on the quality of existing shows.

That being said, I do think people are entitled to their opinions and there are plenty of reasons to dislike anime or to prefer other pastimes.
    ^^^It's subbed on Hulu if you need a reliable albeit ad-peppered site for streaming it.
  • I like a few of the Japanese animes.

TTGL, Death Note and FMA mainly, though I also like Panty and Stocking, Dragon Ball (hey, it was on Toonami all the time, don't judge me) and FLCL always seemed like one to watch.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

I love Dragon Ball in almost all forms but admit I have not watched all of GT and, from my understanding, I may want to exclude it from that statement anyhow.