Where do you sit in a classroom?

edited 2012-03-25 18:16:31 in Talk
Being that I am a fan of screwing with people, I tend to notice things like the general personality of people who sit next to walls in classrooms. Apparently I'm not the only one who has noticed such oddities, as there is actually some writing on it.

My completely biased and unscientific observations:
  1. Classroom seating is on a sort of axis, consisting of closeness to the front and proximity to the center. Academically confident people sit toward the front, while socially confident people sit near the center.
  2. The most innovative and outgoing students tend to sit in the center, 1 row from the front. Perhaps this is because they want to participate and be surrounded at the same time.
  3. Individuals who sit in the back corners of a room are sometimes exceptions to the above, occasionally having very unique and intelligent personalities.
  4. The very back-center usually seems to be filled by either a group of obnoxious males or talkative women.
  5. Even when no seating is assigned, everyone sits in the same seats.
  6. As a general rule, any area of class that represents an extreme will contain very memorable individuals.

And lo', some random ideas:

1. In classes that have a lot of group projects, the innovative group of people sitting 1 row back in the center make for excellent company.
  2. Sitting in the front-center at the end of an isle allows for a significant amount of butt-kissery in an effort to improve grades, as one can not only assist with simple things like fixing the projector (by quickly getting out of a seat), but also pay full attention. The aisles between seats draw attention to those sitting at the ends.
  3. It may be possible to "sculpt" the classroom by stealing the seats of different individuals during each class. If people remain in the new seat, then perhaps one could make, say... a happy face?
  4. It should be fully possible to sit smack in the middle of a group of young women, simply by abusing the observations.

Next semester I'm going to have a lot of fun with this :D

/braindump

Comments

• I usually sat in the 8ack corner.
  • At some point in high school I started switching seats once a month. I don't remember if anyone noticed or not.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    The observation map is based on an auditorium-style college classroom, right? My school actually doesn't have any classrooms like that, as far as I know. It's small enough that most of the classrooms are laid out pretty much the same as a high school classroom, except with more official-looking desks and podiums.

That being said, I usually sit in the front, either at the edge or slightly off-center. This sort of matches up with Anonym's proposed axis of confidence, but then again, we'd need a better sample to know for sure.
  • I wish I could go back in time and slap myself.
    ^That's actually the setting that I was referring to; I've never been in a huge auditorium style lecture before.

Perhaps I should design and print out a chart, then keep tabs on the individuals in each class.

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    On the side, preferably near the door, so I can escape if there's a fire/flood/zombie outbreak/etc.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    In a regular classroom, I tend to go for the second row. It's close enough that I can see what's going on but not be in the front row where the professor's attention is constantly on me. In some of our bigger classrooms people tend to leave the front row empty entirely; in those, I sit in the third row of desks so I'm basically still in the second row of students.

I like to go near windows when I can, though I try not to make it too obvious that I'm looking out of the window instead of paying attention to the lecture.

In a big auditorium-style lecture hall I just tend to take a seat anywhere I can. Finding a seat with nobody in the seats directly next to me is a bonus, though.
  • edited 2012-03-25 18:36:55
    I wish I could go back in time and slap myself.
    Presenting: a poorly drawn MS Paint diagram:

http://sadpanda.us/images/888439-LUR9Q3W.png

Of course, keep in mind that this is based on the seating common at my college. Which is small.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 2012-03-25 18:49:01
    I wish I could go back in time and slap myself.
    Ah, I just realized that I neglected to take the door and windows into account. This could actually turn out to be thoroughly complicated project.

Speaking of which, I usually sit front row-center, at the end of the table (furthest away from the door). The exception is in class where I need my laptop a lot, in which cases I will accept defeat and sit by the wall.

From now on though, I'm going to try and stay within the table with all the active high-achievers. No replacement for associating with the right people.

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Oh, so that's what you meant by "next to an aisle." In most of the classrooms I go to, either everyone has a separate desk, the rows are all one long, continuous table, or everyone's seats are arranged in a rectangle facing the center. The third layout is relatively rare; I've only seen it on the upper floor of the building where most English, philosophy, and foreign language classes are held.
  • I sit in the front with my feet on the desk, answering all the questions between goofing off.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    everyone's seats are arranged in a rectangle facing the center.
    Something like this, kinda?

I had a classroom like that. Everything was arranged around a cart in the middle of the room where the instructor could use a laptop connected to a projector.

(Most of our classrooms have ceiling-mounted projectors, and a computer at a more traditional desk, but this one didn't for whatever reason.)
  • According to this chart I am both socially and academically confident in most of my classes.

This is hilariously inaccurate if you know even the slightest thing about me.

• The sadness will last forever.
    The back.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I'm in the eccentrics! Yeah
  • edited 2012-03-25 19:47:02
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    CA: Pretty much. Only real difference is that there are more tables, and they're usually placed end-to-end. But like I said, I've only seen that layout in two or three classrooms, all on the same floor. Even then, the tables aren't always arranged like that.
    "According to this chart I am both socially and academically confident in most of my classes.

This is hilariously inaccurate if you know even the slightest thing about me."

Then why sit where you do?

• edited 2012-03-25 19:55:03
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Ok, yeah, I drew many fewer desks in that classroom to make a simpler diagram, and now that I'm thinking about it they were actually placed end-to-end.
  • It's 4:20 somewhere.
    I prefer second row from the front on the farthest right, though I guess I never thought about it very much. I guess you could describe me as more academically confident than socially confident.
  • Then why sit where you do?

Cuz? I dunno. I don't really think about that kind of thing very much.

^I suppose that there are a lot of other subtle factors that could influence one's decision, such as a simple desire to be "balanced", or pressures regarding which seats are comfortable for familiar.
  • There are generally a lot of empty seats in my classes.

I don't know if that contributes to anything or not.

• My original reason for sitting in the 8ack was so that no8ody could kick the 8ack of my chair (which had happened prior to my moving to the 8ack row thanks to some stupid 8oy or something), 8ut then it 8ecame kind of a ha8it.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I used to typically sit in or near the purple area.
  • Typically I sit in the front row and to the center, but as of late my placing was moved to the side and a row back which I hate. I am not a socially confident person, but I prefer to stay focused on the academic side that is why I prefer the front. 

~BRC~ BlackRavenClaw
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    I sit in the front center, but I don't see myself as socially confident =/

And I am usually one of the ones who contributes the most (to the point where some professors tell me to shut up...), yet I don't like sitting in the second row

Of course, I'm a bit near sighted
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    I sit in the front row, farthest to the right. Yay?
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Actually, this system doesn't seem to work for colleges or universisties at all
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I wondered about that myself. "Purple" was mostly how I sat in high school, but where I sat in University mostly depended on how much I actually cared about the class.
  • I like being near the front and next to the wall. :]

- Me too, I guess that makes us eccentric.