I have a confession

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I really didn't like the Smurfs. So I feel you.

That said.

There is another answer, and it is the Right One.
  • edited 2017-07-08 06:15:09
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I know someone who really likes the Moomins but like they keep going on the backburner for me

I wonder how many Smurfs viewers in the '80s got into French comics as a result
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I was always very put off by the Smurf designs, never mind their entire toyetic franchisey appeal. So I get you.

I wonder how I'd feel about the Moomins if I actually checked them out, and how much I'd like it... I've never known how to feel about the aesthetics.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I liked the Smurfs as a kid, but I had no idea that they were from Belgian comics.

this is not something you would know back then
    Fewer than fans of the Astérix and Tin-Tin adaptations, I suspect, but hopefully at least a few.

Incidentally, I used to catch the Marsupilami cartoon on one of Disney's outlets when I was up in the wee small hours, along with The Tick. Can't remember where I saw Nelvana's Tin-Tin, though, despite the fact that I watched it religiously.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Nelvana's Tintin aired on HBO Family in reruns ages go
    Also you're thinking of Toon Disney for those other shows
    I assumed it was Toon Disney but I got thrown by the fact that it became XD while I still had cable.

HBO Family aired a lot of decent shows.
    HBO Family was wild

It had Crashbox and a bunch of Cinar imports that have pretty much never aired in America since (unless they turned up on Cookie Jar Toons later or something)
    I can't remember if it was HBO Family who aired Rupert with the original English opening intact but I'm pretty sure they aired Paddington Bear and those were both easily my most significant exposures to British media outside of Harry Potter and Baker-period Doctor Who.
    Yeah the Cinar version of Paddington
  • edited 2017-07-08 07:56:14
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Cinar made and worked on some really fun children's programming. Too bad about the embezzlement thing...

Apparently the broadcasts of Rupert I have seared into the back of my brain are probably from Toon Disney circa 2001 or later, although I might have inadvertently caught the extremely brief Playhouse Disney run. Either way, I never realised how much of an impact that show had on me until I looked up that opening theme and it clicked, loudly.

Like, "That badger kid is rather cute! Wait... hold on... IS THIS WHY I'M FURRY GARBAGE NOW."
    I remember when Rupert was on Nick Jr. (before Nick traded it to CBS for Franklin), and on Toon Disney it had a completely different intro
    Anonus said:

I remember when Rupert was on Nick Jr. (before Nick traded it to CBS for Franklin), and on Toon Disney it had a completely different intro

The Toon Disney one was the original UK version. It occasionally leaps into my head unprompted and brings me great joy.
  • edited 2017-07-08 08:05:05
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    On that note:

Like, "That badger kid is rather cute! Wait... hold on... IS THIS WHY I'M FURRY GARBAGE NOW."

Bill Badger – Rupert's best friend, who, unlike Rupert, often
    presents a lot of flaws, such as cowardice, impatience, clumsiness,
    quick tempered, and a horrible singing voice. He has a baby brother
    named Tobey, who appears to be fond of Bill's singing voice.

Are you seeing the pattern here?