So Top Gun

edited 2017-06-29 17:19:02 in General
It's one of those movies all 80s kids appear to have seen, but I cannot tell if any of them actually like it because mainly they just reference character names, the soundtrack, and homoeroticism

Comments

• My brother liked it when he was a kid (though not an 80s kid) because he liked fighter planes.

That is the only point of data I have about Top Gun.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I actually have not seen it, but I'll get back to you on that
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I have seen Top Gun blamed for ruining movies and propelling Jerry Bruckheimer to Hollywood's top echelon
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Tom Scientology Cruise
    So, nobody asked for my opinion, but having now seen the movie I found it very uneven. The flying and combat scenes are exciting and well-shot, but the rest feels fairly pointless. Especially the "romance" between Tom Cruise's character and that one ladyperson, whatever her name was, which one kind of feels was shoehorned in as a Mandatory Romantic Subplot and to reduce the overall gayness of it. Speaking of which, it's a bit odd that the film is so aggressively and stereotypically masculine from the get-go - it's all about these hotshot dudes flying phallic planes which they speak of in sexual terms - yet by the end we're all just thinking "well that was gay."

As a guitarist I do appreciate the famous Top Gun Anthem, at least.

Also kind of weird to see Mr. Strickland from Back to the Future as an officer on an aircraft carrier.

Verdict: 6/10, I would watch it again only if it were an edited version with all the draggy Character Development Conversations removed.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Thank you
    no problem