Things that blow my mind

edited 2017-06-25 08:17:20 in General
There's an entire generation that grew up not recalling a time when Hugh Jackman wasn't Wolverine.

There's an entire generation that grew up barely remembering Rugrats, Dexter's Lab, the original Powerpuff Girls, and other staples of the childhood of someone my age.

There's an entire generation that has grown up with no memory of the 1990s.

There's kids in high school who don't remember 9/11 or realize how much it shaped the world they grew up in.

Comments

• Man, aren't you not that much older than me? Because like, I'm pretty sure Hugh Jackman was X-men by the time I knew what X-men was.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    This kinda stuff is weird to think about.

It doesn't always have to be a big gap, either. My sister is only 9 years younger than me...and when I casually mentioned pagers one day, she had no clue what I was talking about.

And as you might guess, when I did explain what a pager was, she was like "So you can get messages but not send them? What's the point?"
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    She also asked me once why the drive letters on a Windows computer almost always start with C:

It's because A: and B: were for floppy disk drives, once upon a time
  • kill living beings
    I witnessed a girl complaining to her dad that she didn't want her computer to be a Mac, because on Macs you can't play Windows games like Five Nights at Freddy's, so I'm an old man now.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I can remember the U.S.S.R. and Reagan being president

I win!
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Anonus, there are kids in high school who weren't alive for 9/11

• like my brother, who will be a freshman next year (born in '03)
    there are kids alive today who weren't alive for Pearl Harbor
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS

This kinda stuff is weird to think about.

It doesn't always have to be a big gap, either. My sister is only 9 years younger than me...and when I casually mentioned pagers one day, she had no clue what I was talking about.

And as you might guess, when I did explain what a pager was, she was like "So you can get messages but not send them? What's the point?"

Honestly, I had the same thought about one-way pagers back in, like, *1990*.
  • the pilot episode for the original Powerpuff Girls series aired closer to the moon landing than to the present day.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Jane said:

the pilot episode for the original Powerpuff Girls series aired closer to the moon landing than to the present day.

"Whoopass Stew" actually was produced closer to the moon landing than the present day

Man, aren't you not that much older than me? Because like, I'm pretty sure Hugh Jackman was X-men by the time I knew what X-men was.

also I'm 22, almost 23
  • Anonus said:

Man, aren't you not that much older than me? Because like, I'm pretty sure Hugh Jackman was X-men by the time I knew what X-men was.

also I'm 22, almost 23
    Well then you're a year younger than me so...I'm a little confused. I guess when you talked about a generation that "doesn't remember" things you actually meant they weren't born yet?

Like if you were five years old when the 90s ended how much memory of it do you have?
    A decent amount. I remember 1998 flowing into 1999. I remember Nickelodeon promoting SpongeBob ahead of its premiere. I remember when the house I live in now was having the finishing touches put on it, which would have been in 1997 or 1998. I remember playing in the neighborhood I lived in before then. I remember Burger King changing their logo.
    Anyway I assume those born in 1997 wouldn't remember the decade.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    1995 here, my early memories are textures, things, pictures, and places, with no sequence or order.

I have a memory of the place where my home is being dirt and rocks which can only be from 1997 because the house and yard were finished before winter 1997. Don't remember my sister being born, which is spring 1997.

Didn't become aware of years and dates and stuff until late 1999, so my memories of the nineties have no real associations with numbered years as much as landmark events and photographs. The year my brother had a blue birthday cake with gummy sharks and oreo. The winter I first went sledding. The day I learned the letter, "u".

Everything from December 1999 on, I remember pretty clearly.

Could not comprehend 9/11, why the streets were empty and everyone was crying and school stopped and we went home and then the kids older than me were afraid of airplanes. Put two and two together sometime in 2003.
  • I've always been bad at memory. I think my earliest memory was somewhere around 1999-2000, which is something I shall not be sharing. But it only stops being super fuzzy and abstract around 2002-2003.
    (2015 self)
    Like, I remember a lot, but when I was a toddler I had no conception of politics or nations. I only really start to have such coherent, named, abstract concepts of things I have no experience with after I can write or read, so, sometime 1998-1999. By the turn of the millennium I understand that I live in a place called Utah in a place called America.

I mean, by the 2002 Olympics I've figured out that there are different continents with countries with different languages that don't always get along (politics) and sometimes have wars, especially in the past, but the idea of the incident-with-the-planes-crashing-into-the-skyscrapers being on-purpose never enters my mind, especially with the shows of sympathy from the other countries at the Olympics, and it never connects with the mysterious nine-eleven that people sometimes talk about (I thought it was some kind of code that had something to do with how you call 911 in an emergency).
    I remember 9/11 like it was yesterday. Every detail
    I was seven years old when 9/11 happened

Suddenly "United We Stand" was everywhere, and before we knew it we were at war with Iraq
    I was in sixth grade when 9/11 happened. Our classrooms were in a new wing of the school that didn't have TVs yet, so we listened to news reports on my teacher's radio.

Mostly, though, I remember the aftermath, and my naive expectation that things would eventually "go back to normal." Like, oh, ok, they have the TSA now and they're making a Department of Homeland Security. That's just to make people feel safer because they're understandably scared right now; it'll all go away in a few years.

And here it is almost 16 years later and I'm still having to try to figure out whether or not I'm allowed to take this deodorant on an airplane. Things are never going back to "normal", and perhaps more depressingly, there doesn't seem to be much desire for things to go back to normal.
    Oh they've beaten this authoritarian stuff deep into the heads of a lot of people
  • I was in high school physics class when 9/11 happened.  I think the teacher turned on a TV and we watched the news and wondered what was going on?

Anyway, the next day, some choir students sang "God Bless America" over the PA system, in E-flat major (which is now its canonical key for me because of that).

I had just been playing/watching someone play Chrono Trigger, so this event felt like discovering the Day of Lavos video -- basically, the sudden realization that there is a much larger context to one's life than the day-to-day events and immediate conflicts that may characterize it, and that larger context can have some pretty devastating effects, so one has to keep those in perspective while dealing with issues immediately around oneself.

Several years down the road I picked up a recording of Howard Stern berating this woman who claimed to be pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, and generally liberal-leaning, but being skeptical of John Kerry just because she didn't trust him to be tough on terrorism.
    (2015 self)
    Woke up hearing sobs from my Parents' room, which is scary and unprecedented. I don't want my little sister to wake up, so I tiptoe across the hall to my Parents' room. I hear the Tv on in there and it's too early for the the Tv to be on, and I push the door open, which is weird because that door is usually closed and locked, and something is not right.

I remember punching the off switch on the television to make it go away because it Was Not Right that Dad was crying. Felt like the world was ending, like something had broken. My brother is hugging Dad and crying, and my mom is crying into the phone. "It's just a show", I say. "Back to bed".

Things seem to proceed normally, if slowly and sadly, from there, until it's time to go to school. Strangely, the next-door neighbor cousins aren't coming with my brother and I to the bus stop, and there doesn't seem to be anybody coming at all. There's not even joggers on the street. The Bus comes late and it's almost empty, for the first time ever I get to sit in the back of the bus. I look out the window and the world seems so empty.

None of my classmates have any idea what is going on. We build twin towers out of blocks and knock them down, until the teacher tells us to stop and never do that again.

School gets out amazingly early, but when I get home I can't go to any of my friends' or cousins' houses to play. I don't remember the rest of the day. Also, there are flags on every yard I see on the bus-ride home.

Really, I only remember the parts that were different from other days. Those parts are incredibly vivid, but anything that wasn't out if the ordinary just blends with every other day. So, really, I remember about four or five hours of inexplicable sadness, emptiness, and the world being broken. After that I probably played with toys or read Captain Underpants or something.
  • i remember my second grade teacher watching the TV, obviously horrified, and im like "ok then, planes running into a building"

then i got home and mom was talking about it, and i was like "yeah i saw that on the TV" and she was surprised they let second graders watch

i remember a few months later we started doing the pledge of allegiance, i would quietly mock it and/or pretend to go along with it. gave me the damn creeps it did.
    (2015 self)
    @Tamlin Weird. At my elementary school, everyone said the pledge of allegiance at the beginning of class every day, and that had been normal since I don't even know, I mean, it was that way when my mom was a student there.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I used to do the original pledge without the god bit and such, which amused my teachers.
  • Tamlin said:

i remember my second grade teacher watching the TV, obviously horrified, and im like "ok then, planes running into a building"

Yeah, I had this kind of reaction. I heard about it on the news when I was on the school bus, and then when I got off the bus my dad kind of had to explain that it was a big deal because this kind of thing doesn't normally happen in the US.

Obviously part of this is not being American; I'd heard about terrorist attacks in other countries before so why was this one different? But actually I suspect I'd have had a similar reaction had something like it happened in Canada. The idea that certain things Don't Happen Here even though they may happen Over There had not really sunk in yet.

I think it was a year later, when we had a class discussion on the first anniversary, that I kind of actually understood the significance of the whole thing.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I was mainly worried about my mom's best friend, who lived in New York and whom we'd visited maybe a year prior. She was fine, but close enough that dust blew past her balcony.
    We always said the pledge every day when I was a kid, but at some point I started faking it. Because seriously
    When 9/11 happened, I was running late for work (as usual) when Mom yelled through my door that we were being attacked. I turned my TV on and all hell had broken loose. 

My office is two miles from the Pentagon. You bet I was scared.
    holy shit
    I remember watching the towers collapse live and, well, not to make light of it too much, but that picture of Karkat making an O_O face was pretty much my reaction, combined with a feeling of complete dread.