Food trucks

They are a "millennial" thing but they also seem very urban. Do they just assume nobody between the ages of 20 and 40 lives in the suburbs anymore?

Comments

• I only see food trucks before marathons.
  • also like, lots of people live in the suburbs and work/study downtown?? I don't think the target audience for food trucks is people who live nearby
  • Alduin said:

I only see food trucks before marathons.

places I can think of where I've seen food trucks:
    • u of t campus
    • toronto city hall
    • anime conventions
  • kill living beings
    Anonus you make some confusing threads sometimes but this is really up there.

I've never seen a food truck outside a city and the first time I went to one it was my dad's idea.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    When I worked at Ohio Transmission & Pump they would occasionally bring a taco truck around, which was fun.

I'm kind of surprised Ohio State's campus doesn't have more food trucks. There's the one operated by the university...it's called "Thyme & Change", which is a reference to the last line of "Carmen Ohio". 
  • U of T's downtown campus always has food trucks. UTSC had them occasionally and everyone got very excited when they showed up. Surprisingly Waterloo doesn't seem to have em at all.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

Anonus you make some confusing threads sometimes but this is really up there.

I've never seen a food truck outside a city and the first time I went to one it was my dad's idea.
    This prompted it
  • I'm still confused as to who "they" is in the op
    the press, marketing types
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

also like, lots of people live in the suburbs and work/study downtown?? I don't think the target audience for food trucks is people who live nearby

@Anonus, I feel like this is a valid point you didn't address

also like, lots of people live in the suburbs and work/study downtown?? I don't think the target audience for food trucks is people who live nearby

@Anonus, I feel like this is a valid point you didn't address
    because i didn't think about it?

I'm not exactly all that familiar with the phenomenon of food trucks, not living or working downtown
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Food trucks are mostly associated with construction workers around here. Hell, there's one in the car park of one of the local hardware stores.
  • well I live in the middle of bumfuck nowhere and there are foodtrucks out here.

Not many, but a few. There's a coffee truck along a well-traveled backroad that a lot of people pull over and stop at, and Rick's Ribs up in Lehighton.

There also used to be Amos' Authentic Amish Pretzels but I think he shut down. Part of the issue may have been that it was owned by an Irish fellow named Bill.

Food trucks are mostly associated with construction workers around here. Hell, there's one in the car park of one of the local hardware stores.

You know I used to see food trucks in the parking lots of, like, Lowe's or The Home Depot, but it's been a few years. I wonder why they stopped...
    I have seen one food truck, a taco truck in the middle of a dirt field in Aurora

But that's it
  • In the Raleigh area we've got periodical food truck rodeos where a bunch of the ones in the Raleigh area set up on Fayetteville Street downtown for an afternoon and it's a big enough to-do that traffic gets rerouted around it

My mother actually is probably the one that is into it the most, both of the times I've gone it's been with her
  • edited 2017-06-23 01:39:36
    MIT had food trucks along Mass Ave. and also in the eastern parts of campus.  They served Actually Cheap And Good Food.  $4 to $5 for a meal at the Chinese food truck.  $7 could get you something a bit fancy.  The cheapest one was this Middle-Eastern food truck that had like chicken or lamb shawarma or whatever it was called for $3.25.  Flavorful meat, a good serving of cooked veggies, in their tasty cooking juices, poured on top of rice.  Heck, these places were so cheap that even the Mexican food truck wasn't cheap enough to compete (and so it was only later that I developed my taste for Mexican food).  They've since filled in the parking lot where the Middle-Eastern food truck and a couple other food trucks (one pan-Asian?/Vietnamese?, one Mexican, one...American/Italian I think?) used to hang out, so I dunno if they're still there these days.  But still.

Lesson learned was basically: food trucks have inexpensive, good food.

(One of my TAs said she once got a bout of diarrhea or something from the Middle-Eastern food truck, but I ate there many times and never had a problem.)

For reference: this was all about 10-14 years ago.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-06-23 01:51:16
    I suspect they just don't get enough traffic outside of city centers.  Suburbs have little to no foot traffic, and you're not going to drive to a truck.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    I remember the Daily Tar Heel having a bunch of articles about The rules for food trucks being too restrictive in NC but college towns get an above average amount of foot traffic. In LA there's a good number of them but the lot that had a bunch of them got shut down
    I saw a burrito truck broken down on the side of the freeway this morning. I don't know why, but that amused me.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    Hmm, I've never seen them associated with millennials so much as with blue collar laborers and immigrant populations. I guess I could see some of them in some areas trying to be "trendy" and sort of eclectic? 
  • glennmagusharveyglennmagusharvey
    would rather hang out with blue-collar laborers and immigrants than trendy-folk anyway
    /me would rather hang out with blue-collar laborers and immigrants than trendy-folk anyway