Let me just say

"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result" is one of the dumbest conceptions of insanity ever phrased.

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    absolutely.
  • repeating a cliche over and over again without thinking about if it makes a lick of sense is the definition of inanity
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I stole that
  • Odradek said:

"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result" is one of the dumbest conceptions of insanity ever phrased.

Meanwhile, a person equating "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result" with "insanity" is a handy indicator that that person does not understand probability.
  • edited 2017-06-20 06:39:18
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I think the problem with its phrase is less the underlying sentiment—which is to say that refusing to vary one's approach to a problem regardless of cost or contrary evidence is an unhealthy mode of thought and behaviour—than that its framing makes it very easy to interpret in far more deleterious ways.

(There's also the whole thing where schizophrenia destroys the sufferer's ability to acclimate to surprise or default to simple explanations of phenomena, as well as monomania in a whole host of mental disorders, but that's a bit beside the point.)
  • I think the problem with its phrase is less the underlying sentiment—which is to say that refusing to vary one's approach to a problem regardless of cost or contrary evidence is an unhealthy mode of thought and behaviour—than that its framing makes it very easy to interpret in far more deleterious ways.

#theproblemwithsoundbites