kill me now
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Don't front on my boyfriend's trash waifu. :|
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    By Accolade.
  • TreTre
    edited 2017-06-08 19:55:33
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Realtalk, somewhere else I sporadically visit is already seeing Bubsy needlessly serious mockery, and almost certainly elsewhere, so now I'm hoping for it to be successful and decent on principle.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-06-08 21:39:51
    Crystal said:

Realtalk, somewhere else I sporadically visit is already seeing Bubsy needlessly serious mockery, and almost certainly elsewhere, so now I'm hoping for it to be successful and decent on principle.

Like, mechanically speaking the game already looks considerably more competent.  If for no other reason than they pulled the camera back and slowed things down.

Original-ass Bubsy took up a huge amount of screen real-estate compared to other mascots who moved at comparable speed.  He controlled like Knuckles, but without rings or any way of simultaneously moving and attacking, all through a much more aggressive and outwardly dickish level design.  Game devs at the time really didn't grasp that it was a bad idea to have one-hit-kill mechanics in a game where you're expected to clear the full width of the screen in less than half a second, or blindly glide 15+ screens into the unknown.  Those games were just consummately not fun, and the annoying 90s 'tude done that badly didn't help.

Honestly I kind of hope the game is good too, not just because I like good games, but because I think it would be hilarious if a franchise that fundamentally awful on every level managed to turn it around.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I just don't know why Bubsy glides

Are bobcats known for their gliding skills?
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-06-08 21:29:12
    They are if it's the 90's and you need a gimmick for your otherwise unremarkable mascot.

I mean, echidnas aren't known for gliding either.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    "Game devs at the time really didn't grasp that it was a bad idea to have
    one-hit-kill mechanics in a game where you're expected to clear the
    full width of the screen in less than half a second, or blindly glide
    15+ screens into the unknown."

this was the one major thing I hated about that game
  • I am admittedly pretty sick of Bubsy jokes, etc., though I can't imagine this game could ever possibly do anything to prevent that even if it somehow ends up being good.
  • I'm going to have sexual intercourse with Bubsy the bobcat
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Not without my permission. >:|
  • my boyfriend is maybe going to share me with Bubsy the bobcat if he asks nicely?
  • Mostly I wonder if they're going to sue the Arcane Kids.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I need to become a police officer so I can put you in jail for creeping me out, Naney.
  • In my mind I am forever free! like a bird, or a breath mint at a restaurant
  • DYRE said:

I am admittedly pretty sick of Bubsy jokes, etc., though I can't imagine this game could ever possibly do anything to prevent that even if it somehow ends up being good.

Just think -- if the game goes off smoothly and ends up actually being fun, Bubsy will be known as the Robert Downey Jr. of platformer mascots.  And if it doesn't, well, he's Kim Kardashian.
  • the developers behind the new game are the same ones that did the Giana Sisters reboot so I guess that this is something that they've got experience with? If nothing else, I do kinda dig the promotional art, even if the game itself is rather lacking in that area
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Tamlin said:

In my mind I am forever free! like a bird, or a breath mint at a restaurant

Oh yeah, remind me to schedule a lobotomy.
  • thats

less funny
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Jane said:

Mostly I wonder if they're going to sue the Arcane Kids.

plot twist: level that is clearly based on LACMA without using the actual place
  • I recently discovered a meme involving an MMD rendition (generally using vocaloid characters) of apparently three random guys dancing to the tune of "Everybody" by the Backstreet Boys, and now every time I read this thread's title I think of that.