Why things suck: A scholarly treatise from the internet

Comments

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Imi: His ideas are not only better written, but better thought out. Say what you will about his beliefs (he didn't like Jews and had some rather old-fashioned notions about women and democracy), but they're a lot deeper than "i'm bored so life sucks". Even pessimists can find joie de vivre in something.
  • edited 2012-03-19 13:22:54
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    "Have you ever seen a duck cry?"

No, but I've heard of a male duck raping the corpse of another male duck for almost a solid 75 minutes...how close is that?

"Why wouldn't the work of my hands and the sweat of my brow bring me joy? It's my sweat!"

For a second there, thought this guys actually said something smart by referencing Genesis, and then I saw it was just you condensing  what was wrote. :P

The actual verse from Genesis would probably lend itself well to what this guy is saying, but I think we've pretty much determined that The Bible is probably well beyond the reading level of this individual. 

Plus, I'm sure finding sources that agree with you is just something gay nerds do. Certainly not the sort of thing a tuff guy like this would indulge in.
    I'm wondering what would happen if this guy made music. It'd probably sound like this:

...actually, no. Comparing this guy to Wesley Willis would be an insult to Wesley Willis. :P
  • It's funny how often I see people post that article.
  • edited 2012-03-19 13:25:25

^^^^ Are you suggesting "Companies are boring, they are in the news."  is anything but deep and insightful commentary of the human condition?
  • WESLEY WILLIS WAS A MUSICAL GOD. HE COULD KICK BATMAN'S ASS.

FEW COULD UNDERSTAND THE GENIUS OF HIS WORK. AND HE DID AWESOME PRODUCT PLACEMENT.

WE-SE-LY WIL-LIS

WE-SE-LY WIL-LIS

WE-SE-LY WIL-LIS
    Justice: Bwahahahaha. It's like saying "Computers are boring, they just sit there and make whirring noises". He's not even trying to find anything he likes because BLUH EVERYTHING SUCKS.

I always have to wonder, in cases like this, what people do like.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Now this is a good song about life sucking.

• My dreams exceed my real life
    "Life is empty because it is filled with objects not emotions. When you look around you now you see cold, hard objects. When you touch those objects they are all cold and hard. How many soft warm things are there? Skin isn’t really soft its more rough and callus. So that leaves out animals. Even if you can come up with a good conversation, then you’re just stuck in your head thinking. You’re not out and about, moving around. You’re really alone in your little head. And you don’t move very fast, you’re looking at the world from the perspective of your head, and your body can only move so fast. Even if you’re in a plane or a car or a bike, your body isn’t moving that much. If you’re running you’re focusing on putting in all that effort moving and can’t really look at the scenery. So you can never really feel like you’re moving fast yourself.

Where is the fun in life if you can never move around without being jarred. If your body is being moved instead of you moving like running then you’re not really feeling anything because all the sensations your body has aren’t collecting sensations. Just visual isn’t enough because the world is cold and hard like we went over before. And you can’t get enough physical sensation to please yourself. Mental sensations (like thinking) are limited because they are just thinking. So all we have left to live in life is physical stuff. But you can only move around so fast. Visual can move quickly but when it does it just becomes too complicated. And admit it, most of the time you’re not running around (which would be dizzying if you did) and exercising (which would involve a lot of sweat) so you’re just being cold and unmoving yourself. Humans are just little pathetic creatures that think they are powerful when they are actually weak. All golf players can do with all their strength is put a little tiny ball in a hole. Hockey players can only shoot around a puck smaller than their hand. So clearly all physical activity sucks. And we eliminated mental activity as being bad because it’s too boring. That’s all there is to do in life, either something mental or something physical."

This guy needs to be relieved of his body. It's clearly cramping his style.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

When most of one's argument can be dismissed with:

One should considering revising...or you know...just stopping entirely. 
    "
    It's easy to prove that people are selfish, because, unlike in movies, in real life no one would actually give their own life for someone else. There we go, proved. That was surprisingly easy to prove. Either I am the first to discover that proof, or everyone else was being delusional in thinking that the world is better and nicer then it actually is, blocking out the fact that people are actually fundamentally selfish, and that it was extremely easy to prove that they are. I mean when you are talking to someone else do you think they actually care more about you then they do about themself? Nope. Even if it's a loved one they are still going to care more about themself. Sorry. There just isn't any real connection. There's an imaginary connection, because everyone is in such denial of the reality of life, but there isn't a real one. Sorry again. This works for objects too. I mean, do you care more about yourself, or your computer. Yourself. I would think that my computer is better than I am because it is so efficent and sophisticated, but even though it doesn't make any sense, I am going to think that I am better than my computer. Thats because humans are in denial that life sucks and that they are inferior to computers and stuff like that"
  • edited 2012-03-19 14:08:18

"It's easy to prove that people are selfish, because, unlike in movies, in real life no one would actually give their own life for someone else. There we go, proved. That was surprisingly easy to prove"

Selfish people wouldn't give there lives for another.
    Ergo, people are Selfish.

Q.E.D.

Hopefully, somewhere Aristotle's body or ghost roams the earth looking for this person so they can be strangled.  

Ghost Aristotle would totally make it look like a suicide by possessing this guy and having him strangle himself to death, a cryptic goodbye letter reading only "Told you I was hardcore."
    "
    People like pain too much. They like watching violence, and they laugh at "funny" violent cartoons where the cartoon characters get hurt then spring right back up as if nothing happened. That is more evidence that people enjoy pain. People also like hurting other people, as that causes pain which they can experience. This all contributes the world being sick and life sucking. People enjoy pain as well as pleasure because both in the end boil down to stimulating your neurons, it's a stimulus, and since there is nothing to do in life, some stimulus is better than nothing, even if it happens to be pain. Pain might even be as fun as happy stuff because there is just as much happy stuff as sad stuff in the world, so for you to be happiest you'd have to get half your stimulation from pain and half from pleasure. If you're watching something and it involves pain and pleasure, and a person that enjoys both pain and pleasure is there he will enjoy it more then someone that just experiences pleasure, so that person wins. Evolutionarily we evolved so that we'd enjoy both for that reason. The reason you feel from both pain and pleasure is because of what the things cause you to think about. When you see someone in action that action is fun, but if they suddenly get shot that is fun too, I can prove it's fun because it happens in movies and stuff that people love to watch, so they must like seeing it. It's fun because it causes you to think more deeply about that person and their life, the fact that they had to get shot for you to think more deeply about them is a minor detail, it just means it causes you to think about that person, and how their life is ending. It's still a lot of stimulation so it's actually a lot of fun. Life is incredibly sick. You may not be smiling as it happens (unless you're sadistic or something) but it's still stimulation, which is a relief from boredom, which you are very happy to have."
  • edited 2012-03-19 14:13:40

You know, if it weren't for the fact this guy can't string a paragraph together in such a way as to come off intellectual or well informed, he might have something of a point.

Doesn't help that he used "ducks" as an example though, they're sort of natures little serial rapists. 
    "
    Take any regular job, like working at a sandwich shop, that’s just boring making sandwich after sandwich after sandwich, etc. Most jobs are like that, doing the same thing over and over and over, its usual boring and involves, well, work. That’s why it’s called work, its definition defeats it alone since the words “effort, exertion, labor, and toil” are in it. I don’t need to go through each job, because every job if you think about it involves doing something tedious and boring. Unless your job was to do whatever you want, but no one would consider that work, by definition. Work involves a structure and that structure is usually something other than what you’d be doing by yourself. Being a doctor is bad because biology is gross and disgusting. Working at a cash register just involves taking people’s money from them, and that too is boring and tedious, doing the same thing over and over." 

What the fuck is with this guy and cash registers?

His family was killed by one.

But he alone was saved by a pack of cash register eating wolves.

Which would explain just about everything, really.
    My guess: He has legitimate mental delays of some sort, he probably has no current job or hobby other than putting photoshop filters over things and calling it art and compiling his "complete psychological writings" and this whole paper is a record of his malaise and boredom with his meaningless banal life.
  • edited 2012-03-19 14:43:52

Pffft, Of COURSE he doesn't have a job!

Jobs are bad because you have to work at them! /He typed as he waited for an SSIS package to finish running.
    "
    Life is cold and uncaring, logical and cruel. God must be a mean, ruthless person. We should just go on praying with no hope of salvation. That's what Jehovah did. Even though life sucks, we should continue to hope that it will get better, even though it’s never going to, because that's what Jehovah did. Perfect. Brilliant. Very smart thing to do. Life isn't going to get better, it is always going to suck. And if you hope that is going to get better, you're just being delusional."

That was JOB.

Thanks, I was getting very confused there.

"God must be a mean, ruthless person. We should just go on praying with no hope of salvation. That's what Jehovah did."

"Wait...God is just going to go on praying with no hope of salvation because he's a mean, ruthless person?'
    "
    It's not that they aren't capable of understanding that life sucks, it's just that they are permanently delusional because they want to think that the world is a better place than it actually is so they can be happy with the world and themselves. That's stupid. You can be wrong, but you are going to be stupid and wrong. Just don't leave out the stupid when admitting that you're wrong. (if you are wrong that is) "

Seriously, fuck you Pettinelli.
  • I wish I could go back in time and slap myself.
    Actually, I take back everything I said before. He's totally sucked you guys in; brilliant! xD

Gotta show respect for master trolls. :D

TMA: I have to wonder, though, if he's actually trying. Like Justice said, and like I said before, it's entirely possible we have another Chris-chan on our hands here -- legitimate mental illness coupled with muted awareness of how it affects themselves and no desire to seek help.
  • You say "another Chris-chan" like that guy's a unique case.

He might be the most net-famous, but self-destructive people with no desire to change themselves are hardly a rare occurrence.

Well, no, but it's not often that I see people so willing to put their misguided beliefs up on public display, either. Granted, it's mainly because I don't go looking for that sort of thing, but still.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I wonder if I should make a forum game.

"See, all you're doing is weaving a complicated plot of time-loops, overlaid with mythic End-Of The-World motifs and operatic never-say-die themes."

"What ARE you doing?"

Suggesting this guy is a troll is sort of akin to saying "I don't think this guy has any mental problems, I just think he spends hours of his time pretending to be really shitty at writing and also typing things he doesn't believe in so other people THINK he has mental problems."

I mean, at the end of the day, who is the joke really on?
  • edited 2012-03-19 19:54:35
    I wish I could go back in time and slap myself.
    The joke is on the author, as well as everybody who spent time reading and responding to the content.

So he's a successful troll who trolled himself. In other words, one of the many confused individuals who need help.

• Poe's Law.

Discussion = Over

^^And now you're talking about people who are talking about his comments.

Welcome to the herd. :P
  • edited 2012-03-19 19:56:12
    I wish I could go back in time and slap myself.
    But at least I'm being meta, and that's a funny word.
    First paragraph

"Just add, "Well, all you're doing there" before something anyone can do, and you'll realize that what they are doing is actually boring, no matter what it happens to be. Say adding 1 to 1. "Well, all you're doing there" is adding 1 to 1 to get 2. See? You can go through everything in life and eliminate it this way as boring. It's a challenge; you won't be able to find something not boring. That's proof that life is boring, and it sucks. Or say you're walking, just add, well, all you're doing there is walking, and you realize how it's actually boring."

From a later section

"The conclusion reached thus far reveals that most advanced things in life suck, leaving the simple, natural ones natural and true, things like eating and sleeping, do in fact help people and are in fact the only truly enjoyable things there are to do (the simple things that is, like back before modern civilization. This paper argues that all activities humans do in a post hunter-gatherer culture they don’t really enjoy doing, and are deceiving themselves that they like doing it do to societal pressure to conform. "

Well all you're doing there is eating and sleeping!

Hah! Game, set, match Pettinelli.

Oh, he's clearly the instrument of his own demise.

"Well, all you're doing there" before something anyone can do, and you'll realize that what they are doing is actually boring"

You don't say?

• I wish I could go back in time and slap myself.
    I am saving that comic so hard right now.
    It's like "Someone is WRONG on the Internet" writ large!
    Obsessive-compulsive disorder

Is not a joke
  • edited 2012-03-20 02:02:12

Are you suggesting our dear author has OCD?

Is it fairly common for people with OCD to come up with such theories and express them so poorly? /sincerity mode
    Actually, no. It's just that, whenever somebody says something about "well don't obsess over things you can't change," I immediately think of having OCD. Having had it, it puts a different perspective on being able to just not obsess about things.

But, I think the current author is just another dumbass (there are a zillion of them, and we've all probably been one) who unfortunately decided to share his dumbassery across the interwebs.
    "
    Take a closer look at your life and when you say "I'm happy" or whatnot. You probably say you're happy because there isn't a word for "I'm unemotional". You're really "logical". So when someone asks you if you are happy just reply (if you're in your best condition that is) "I'm logical". So everyone's just logical, and all their feelings are really just neurons? Where is all the warmth and love? It doesn’t exist. Sorry. How many "warm" feelings can you remember experiencing this past week? Not many. How many "cold" feelings did you have? Probably a lot more. This is the sad truth to reality."
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    The sadder truth is when people don't realize that "warm" and "cold" feelings are necessary to the human experience and that an abundance of "warm" feelings would lead to complacency and ennui.
    "There is nothing fun to do in life. This leaves a feeling of extreme depression. You just have to give in and be a robot/sheep and do something that you’re not going to enjoy doing because it will keep you from being depressed. The expression, “busy hands are happy hands” is one out of desperation. If you’re not busy then you are desperate. Therefore you get busy so you are no longer desperate, but just because you are busy doesn’t mean that you are happy. In fact, no one gets happy in life because although there are some fun things to do, these fun things don’t take up enough time to do them all the time. In fact, it’s not possible to have too much fun or you’ll get anxiety, so we’re doomed to little fun. Pick your favorite activity in which you have the most fun, and imagine doing it all day, I find that it would get boring after a while, and I can’t find anything else that exciting to replace it, I think this is true for other people as well. If you aren’t doing something fun, then you’re doing something boring or not fun, and your life sucks. Since you can’t do something fun all the time because there just isn’t that much fun to be had, life sucks."
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."

You just have to give in and be a robot/sheep

Awesome, I get to shoot thunderclouds at Megaman!

Impeccable logic.

Is it just me, or does this person tend to explain he thoughts well enough by sentence 3 or 4, and then everything else is just rehashing the idea until it's annoying?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Static electricity?