The actual worst thing

People acting like the opinion of a book they formed at age 13 of a book they were forced to read for school matters, or means anything

Comments

• Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    What if that opinion is positive huh, huh.

More seriously yeah, that is really annoying and used frustratingly often to dismiss works or discussions out-of-hand.
  • y'know i was actually surprised that i didn't hate reading The Scarlet Letter, after not much liking a few other books

though i think i read The Great Gatsby later and i was certainly older than 13 at that time and i still didn't like it
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I actually kinda liked The Great Gatsby.
  • like water for chocolate was a nice read even though i think i may have not gotten much of what happened
    the handmaid's tale was sort of...weird, like i got that it was supposed to be political but it was still weird
    fahrenheit 451 was also political and i think was my first exposure to literature with a political opinion, and i don't remember anything other than the premise (which i understand)
    martian chronicles was surprisingly boring after i remembered finding something interestingly meaningful in F451
    animal farm was quite readable and straightforward to understand
    slaughterhouse five was weird but i think that was part of the point and i think i got at least enough of it to make sense of the basic premise
    catch-22 was funny despite my missing a number of the jokes (but at least they worked as nonsensical humor, often through repetition, also snickering at "Scheisskopf" and how he got promoted repeatedly")
    in the lake of the woods was...i don't even know, but i didn't like it, but i guess it introduced me to northern minnesota?
    hamlet was boring
    romeo and juliet was not boring but everyone gets that one
    othello i actually enjoyed
    of mice and men became one of my faves because it is really touching
    heart of darkness, i think got what it was trying to do
    things fall apart, another story that i really appreciated
    pride and prejudice, one of my faves and one of the few love stories that i like specifically for its being a love story
    great expectations was meh
    wuthering heights was also meh
    the odyssey was straightforward and decent
    catcher in the rye was sorta...just there i guess? i know it's famously "offensive" for its like one use of the f-word but it was sorta just, it was a story that just felt like it didn't go anywhere, but i think that was the point
    a doll's house, i remember i appreciated that
    the crucible, less fond of that one but i remember little
    chronicle of a death foretold feels like a dream i don't remember; all i remember is that it's magical realism
    i remember there's this other work that for some reason i group with OM&M in terms of being a touching tragedy but i can't remember what it is (never read the grapes of wrath despite wanting to)
  • I liked pretty much every book I read in school, if only because I was annoyed at other people not appreciating it.

Uh, I remember not liking Across Five Aprils bc boring and for whatever reason I could. not. fucking. parse. Wuthering Heights and I found Brave New World sanctimonious. But other than that, few complaints.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-04-26 07:29:26
    I think the only required reading books I liked were Catcher in the Rye and Catch-22.  Ended up liking Gatsby when I read it later on -- it was probably soured the first time by the teacher spending the whole period insisting every character was Jesus and wanking over flowery language.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I hated Pride & Prejudice.

Slaughterhouse-Five and Catch-22 are both favorites of mine.

Anyway, I agree with the premise of this thread
  • Hexartes said:

I liked pretty much every book I read in school, if only because I was annoyed at other people not appreciating it.

same

tho, I can only recall a couple of those books and their plots - Catcher in the Rye, The Great Gatsby, Of Mice and Men, Huckleberry Finn, The CrucibleAnimal Farm, 1984, Things Fall Apart
  • Oh yeah, I also read Huck Finn, and while I was informed about its portrayals of racism I was too young to put them into perspective, but the storytelling made sense at least.
    Also read The Awakening, which I think I got but then was annoyed at how much emphasis the teacher placed on water being symbolic of sex, when iirc in retrospect, sex in the story was just a plot device.
  • good required reading:

100 years of solitude

Kafka

Poe

bad required reading

Nathaniel Hawthorne

Motherfucking Bridge to Goddamn Terabithia
  • kill living beings
    i think when i read terebithia as a teenager i thought the tragedy was constructed for awardableness
  • it just struck me as

utterly pointless

and not even in a "teaching you that pointless bad things happen in life" kinda way
  • edited 2017-04-26 16:40:45
    Oh we also read Kafka's Metamorphosis, which seemed to be more like pure speculative fiction than like basically anything else.

Meanwhile though everyone was saying how difficult The Scarlet Letter was to read but for some reason I found it readable just fine.  Which was a surprise to me since my previous experiences had been that I had trouble making proper sense of literature and story themes and such.  I think that was a sort of turning point in my maturation.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    this was not an invitation to do the thing
  • no opinions matter or mean anything and I can say them whenever
  • edited 2017-04-26 17:04:35
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Tamlin said:

it just struck me as

utterly pointless

and not even in a "teaching you that pointless bad things happen in life" kinda way

I mean, it's literally something that happened. Albeit the book had less getting struck by lightning.
  • kill living beings
    My school didn't require terebithia

It did require jane eyre, which i hated, but I'm willing to believe i was wrong there
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    We had 1984 as required reading and never actually finished it, which was odd.

Did spend like, an entire term on Of Mice and Men and An Inspector Calls, though. (That is, a term per.)
  • kill living beings
    what's the point of 1984 without the ending
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Tamlin said:

no opinions matter or mean anything and I can say them whenever

Not bad yet but slippery slope
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    The only time I really hated books in middle school was when the class spent, like, multiple weeks on the same book, dragging it out because the teacher thought it was An Excellent Novel...especially when the subject matter bored me to death, like Island of the Blue Dolphins
  • Odradek said:

Tamlin said:

no opinions matter or mean anything and I can say them whenever

Not bad yet but slippery slope
    I'm coasting down this slippery slope like it's greased w/ Vaseline and I'm on a goddamn weighted skateboard I just passed, I think Hitler was a good statesman who made some bad choices, and am coming up on what if the child consents, don't stop me now mother fucker
  • o/` DON'T...STOP ME NOW o/`
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

o/` DON'T...STOP ME NOW o/`