McDonald's "medium" drink is everyone else's "small" drink

Everyone knows this, yet they get away with it because they're a Fast Food Empire and there's no way people are going to stop purchasing their Coke.

Comments

• they'll get away with it because fast food beverage sizes are such that a small is an absolute abundance of beverage

plus you can just

refill it?

honestly, i never understood why anyone would order anything larger than the smallest size drink at a fast food restaurant
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I usually drink a small soda with my meal, then refill it as I leave. It's enough soda for me.

The only reason I can imagine buying the larger sizes is if you're going to be driving for hours and don't want to make additional stops for drinks.
  • Tamlin said:

they'll get away with it because fast food beverage sizes are such that a small is an absolute abundance of beverage

plus you can just

refill it?

honestly, i never understood why anyone would order anything larger than the smallest size drink at a fast food restaurant

I see so many people say this and I don't understand how such a large amount of people can be so incorrect in every way
  • what is the correct beverage size in your mind then? do u want, like, a tureen of coke?
  • no you always get the large whenever possible!

cuz then you're set for like several hours at minimum.
  • kill living beings
    well you're not supposed to refill them
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.

Everyone knows this, yet they get away with it because they're a Fast Food Empire and there's no way people are going to stop purchasing their Coke.

Hasn't every fast food chain been slowly increasing the sizes of their drinks since sometime in the 90s? So that a "small" today is the same size as a "medium" from however long ago?
  • Soda from a fountain is kind of gross (relative to cans/bottles) so having several hours worth of it sounds awful.
  • I am about to go full Northernion-finding-out-people-eat-fish-and-chips-with-their-hands
  • don't even get me started on extra small sodas

those things are insulting
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Fast food soda sizes have gotten larger in recent decades, to the point of absurdity.

That said, I have at times ordered the largest possible just so I could sip on it for a few hours. Is good on road trips
  • MetaFour said:

Hasn't every fast food chain been slowly increasing the sizes of their drinks since sometime in the 90s? So that a "small" today is the same size as a "medium" from however long ago?

Fast food soda sizes have gotten larger in recent decades, to the point of absurdity.

That said, I have at times ordered the largest possible just so I could sip on it for a few hours. Is good on road trips

LITERALLY THE EXACT OPPOSITE HAS HAPPENED YOU PEOPLE ARE HIGH
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

well you're not supposed to refill them

I don't know of any fast food place that lets you dispense your own soda but doesn't offer free refills

The closest I've seen is the OSU McDonald's posting a sign begging you to only refill your cup once
  • well you're not supposed to refill them

I don't know of any fast food place that lets you dispense your own soda but doesn't offer free refills

The closest I've seen is the OSU McDonald's posting a sign begging you to only refill your cup once
    some Wendy's I have been to do not allow refills (because the soda fountain is behind the counter) and I have never been to a Chick-Fil-A that allows them.

this is known in some circles as "complete fucking nonsense".
  • edited 2017-04-25 20:32:59
    i just get water and be done with it
    DYRE said:

Soda from a fountain is kind of gross (relative to cans/bottles) so having several hours worth of it sounds awful.

if you're camped out in an AYCE dining hall for several hours or if you're on a road trip, you take what you can get
    That's why I specified places that let you dispense your own soda.

Most of the Wendy's around here used to have the soda fountain behind the counter but have transitioned to two Coca-Cola Freestyle machines.
  • Jane said:

no you always get the large whenever possible!

ok but here's the rub: you have several hours worth of soda

but 1~ hour in it is flat

and flat soda fountain soda is the work of satan
  • Tamlin said:

Jane said:

no you always get the large whenever possible!

ok but here's the rub: you have several hours worth of soda

but 1~ hour in it is flat

and flat soda fountain soda is the work of satan
    I am going to ban all of you and this isn't even my forum
    I had no idea this would be such a controversial topic.
    What is it with people on this forum having intense feelings about soda??
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I don't like soda, at least anymore, but my most favorite type of soda is definitely flat.
  • What is it with people on this forum having intense feelings about soda??

I mean I'm like mostly joking.

I just drink a lot (in general, and soda is no exception) so I always get the largest size I can afford.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    DYRE said:

Soda from a fountain is kind of gross (relative to cans/bottles) so having several hours worth of it sounds awful.

Fountain Coke's secret: no ice
    Jane said:

MetaFour said:

What universe do you live in?

Is it because I'm old enough to remember the 80s/early 90s, when a "small" soda was actually small?
  • Anonus said:

DYRE said:

I actually almost never get ice because I don't want the ice to melt slightly and make the soda more watery, and I figure if I drink it fast enough then it'll be cold enough still to not be bad.

I somehow never think that if I drink it quickly enough, the ice also won't melt.
  • also doesn't McDonald's now have all the cup sizes cost a dollar
    SF_Sorrow said:

also doesn't McDonald's now have all the cup sizes cost a dollar

well...yes
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

Jane said:

MetaFour said:

What universe do you live in?

Is it because I'm old enough to remember the 80s/early 90s, when a "small" soda was actually small?
    I think I am just old enough to remember the size warfare of the late '90s/early '00s.
    DYRE said:

Anonus said:

DYRE said:

I actually almost never get ice because I don't want the ice to melt slightly and make the soda more watery, and I figure if I drink it fast enough then it'll be cold enough still to not be bad.

I somehow never think that if I drink it quickly enough, the ice also won't melt.
    Same, same.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    you americans and your "refills"
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    I thought mcdonald's did the same price for every size drink these days? I remember them heavily advertising the $1 large drink, anyway. Perhaps it was only a temporary promotional. 
    Yeah they've got the "any size soft drink or drip coffee $1" thing going on

But that's of little use if you're ordering a combo
    remember when fast food joints didn't have combos?

probably not
  • Yeah small definitely used to be a size smaller.  Sometimes I end up ordering kids' size because I don't need/want that much fucking soda.