Did you ever fantasize about going to a boarding school as a kid?

I did.

My home life was a little strained and I liked the idea of getting to live "on my own" somewhere.

Also: Harry Potter.

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I was always told that boarding schools were horrible and terrible, so no.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Actual boarding schools are pretty horrifying, though.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    See, I didn't know that at the time.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    No, unless you mean nightmares.

Boarding School would have combined several of tiny me's worst fears: being lost/unable-to-go-home, having-to-follow-rules-I-don't-understand, being monitored/in-jail, the unfamiliar, being judged/tested, and separation from family.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    I considered going to NCSSM but didn't end up applying, lol
    (2015 self)
    Add to that the idea of essentially leaving your past life behind for an entirely unfamiliar world, and wow, those stories I created where I would escape from all sorts of fantasy worlds to get home make a lot more sense.

Also see:  Wizard of Oz.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Aliroz said:

No, unless you mean nightmares.

Boarding School would have combined several of tiny me's worst fears: being lost/unable-to-go-home, having-to-follow-rules-I-don't-understand, being monitored/in-jail, the unfamiliar, being judged/tested, and separation from family.

pretty much this
  • My aunts telling anecdotes about them was enough to scare me out of the idea.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    You people sure know how to piss on a girl's childhood fantasy
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I liked the idea and fantasized about it in limited amounts, but I also fantasized about college and the like so.
  • no that's anonus's job
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-04-24 01:24:56
    I think I would've liked the idea in grade school but instantly hated it the moment I realized the density of rich snobs and officials on power trips.  There were a small handful in the school I was already in, and they were the main reason I'd have considered moving elsewhere to begin with.

Also at one point I ended up going to Space Camp and it was one of the most miserable things ever, sweet lord.  I imagine a boarding school would've been similar.
    I was terrified of being away from my parents and knew from a young age how lousy other kids and strict school environments could be, so while Hogwarts might have been nice, an actual boarding school would have seemed like Hell on Earth.
    Hogwarts never seemed appealing to me

Where were the gadgets? There was no TV or video games, it seemed so dreary
    Tamlin said:

no that's anonus's job

That's an adult fantasy. Big difference.
    Anonus said:

You have magic, for goodness sake. Also preposterous quantities of books and secret rooms to explore. TV and video games, really? *That* was your concern?
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...

Anonus said:

You have magic, for goodness sake. Also preposterous quantities of books and secret rooms to explore.
    Suddenly I'm remembering that map the twins gave Harry and how utterly in love with that and all it entailed I was.
    Crystal said:

Anonus said:

You have magic, for goodness sake. Also preposterous quantities of books and secret rooms to explore.
    Suddenly I'm remembering that map the twins gave Harry and how utterly in love with that and all it entailed I was.
    God, same.

Anonus said:

You have magic, for goodness sake. Also preposterous quantities of books and secret rooms to explore. TV and video games, really? *That* was your concern?
    Was it not supposed to be? There were no cartoons or video games or internet :(
  • kill living beings

Anonus said:

sometimes the walls eat you though
    books and secret rooms are good
    also secret rooms full of books
    If nothing else, the "meh" reaction to boarding schools explains why I seem to be the only who really into the Dame Adorabelle's School for the Magically Gifted and Talented RP stuff.
  • edited 2017-04-24 02:40:59
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Anonus said:

Anonus said:

Was it not supposed to be? There were no cartoons or video games or internet :(
    There are so many fun things to do which don't require any of those things and you apparently can't think of them and that just utterly baffles me. It's like you never went outside or wandered around an old house or played make-believe or read for fun or anything, and that's before you get to the addition of magic! Like, seriously, are you really just that easily bored without a screen to stare at? I love technology and I still find this preposterous.

^ I find it fun. But that's because I get to be the eldritch disciplinarian. Also school settings are interesting. But you never do it with me.
  • trying to remember what i fantasized about as a kid

* being a pokemon gym leader

* taxidermy-ing people, but not like in a killing them way (not sure how this was supposed to work?) or  being on the receiving end of this

* more pokemon things, the exact contents of which elude me.
  • kill living beings
    yeah i'm literally a professional computer person and i am pretty sure i could amuse myself with power over time and space instead
    I have done all of those things but I was talking about things I just took for granted that would be stripped away

Also, introversion
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Tamlin said:

trying to remember what i fantasized about as a kid

* being a pokemon gym leader

* taxidermy-ing people, but not like in a killing them way (not sure how this was supposed to work?) or  being on the receiving end of this

* more pokemon things, the exact contents of which elude me.

Have you ever read that creepy Gene Wolfe story about future taxidermy
  • edited 2017-04-24 02:48:31
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Like, as a kid, I had a legit fear for a while of turning out to be a wizard and having to go to Hogwarts.  Of course, that went away once I thought about it enough to realize that being-able-to-do-a-thing is not the same as having-to-do-a-thing.

If nothing else, the "meh" reaction to boarding schools explains why I seem to be the only who really into the Dame Adorabelle's School for the Magically Gifted and Talented RP stuff.

I think it was more that Centralia was so much your fantasy, your creation, that it was hard to properly mimic the tone and feel of it.

I mean, this took me weeks to make the tone sound like your world, and you just come up with the stuff off the top of your head.
  • i have not! if you give me a title i'll scrounge it up and give it a read
  • kill living beings
    Aliroz said:

I think it was more that Centralia was so much your fantasy, your creation, that it was hard to properly mimic the tone and feel of it.

I mean, this took me weeks to make the tone sound like your world, and you just come up with the stuff off the top of your head.
    that's why you just do shit your way but keep the setting not the tone #fuckthepower
    Anonus said:

I have done all of those things but I was talking about things I just took for granted that would be stripped away

Also, introversion
    I'm also an introvert! And I was raised with the Internet and computer games and TV! It's just that all you seem to be able to see in this scenario is, "But I wouldn't have screens to stare at." Which is the single most uncreative response I've ever heard to being presented with the concept of attending a vaguely mediaeval magical boarding school.
    Sredni, it is really okay if Anonus does not want to go to the fictional wizard school
  • edited 2017-04-24 02:50:14
    My dreams exceed my real life
    (2015 self)
    Yeah, I don't see why Anonus has to justify that opinion.

I find it fun. But that's because I get to be the eldritch disciplinarian. Also school settings are interesting. But you never do it with me.

Let's go for it then!

I forget if your character ever had an official name or not. I need to add him to the wiki article...
    Aliroz said:

I'm kind of flattered.

To be honest, though, a big part of the fun of Centralia is seeing what other people do with the world I've created. So your contributions are welcome!

You can make a magic school character too, if you want. How about being the librarian's student assistant? :3

Tamlin said:

i have not! if you give me a title i'll scrounge it up and give it a read

The Packerhaus Method
    I'm just... it has less to do with the wizard school thing than the fact that "no modern technology as we understand it" automatically equals "boring and lame." People lived for thousands of years without these things and found plenty to do. It feels insulting to the things I hold dear.

I find it fun. But that's because I get to be the eldritch disciplinarian. Also school settings are interesting. But you never do it with me.

Let's go for it then!

I forget if your character ever had an official name or not. I need to add him to the wiki article...
    I was a Marquis of some sort but I don't think we settled on a name.
    I'm sorry for being pissy. It's just... really unhappy-making for me to hear things like that.
  • dear u are a dramatic pumpkin sometimes
  • i for one also thought hogwarts sounded pretty lame

both because the no technology thing and because it felt like... normal school? like, i get that's kinda the point, but the purely cosmetic quality of the magic did nothing for me,
    That part I understand. But, like, I've always loved the aesthetics of old pre-Victorian mansions and such, and having lots of books and places to explore is like heaven for me.
  • I'm kinda with Anonus on this tbh

I mean I'm pretty sure I did want to go to Hogwarts as a kid but

I'd definitely have missed neopets if I did you know
    No TV seems like a good thing to me. Video games, those I'd probably miss some.
  • i did not fantasize about going to a boarding school, as a kid

but i have fantasized about living in a dorm again, beyond my undergraduate years