I have to say

Grunge power ballads were always a hundred times worse than Hair Metal power ballads ever were

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    no argument here
  • power ballads kind of suck in general
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Does "All Apologies" count? What about "No Excuses"? Because those are decent songs.

But they're also not, y'know, about conventional power ballad topics.

Post-grunge is really the big offender here. Creed, etc.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Compare two songs that get about the same amount of radio play

You don't even have to like the first song, but it's leagues better than the second one
    I just have no idea why anyone would choose to listen to The Reason by Hoobastank twice
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Having heard the first a bajillion time and also not liking its vocals.
  • Odradek said:

I just have no idea why anyone would choose to listen to The Reason by Hoobastank twice

the reason by hoobastank is a

man, i cant even do this

anyways did you know that hoobastank was originally some sort of nu metal ska outfit
  • actually i will say that The Reason is, in my mind, the least offensive song of its ilk
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Odradek said:

To this day I am genuinely puzzled as to why this song was ever popular.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I saw a copy of The Reason (the album that song is from) at a thrift store the other day and I giggled a little. It's always funny to see what kinds of CDs people are willing to part with.
  • edited 2017-04-24 02:51:08

Does "All Apologies" count? What about "No Excuses"? Because those are decent songs.

But they're also not, y'know, about conventional power ballad topics.

those songs don't only rely on overused distorted power chords and an overtly machismo sense of 'fragility' 
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Odradek said:

Compare two songs that get about the same amount of radio play

That's not grunge, though. I'd call it post-grunge but even that's kind of inaccurate. It's a band totally failing to be sensitive!Incubus.
  • edited 2017-04-24 02:47:12

inversely, 'Dream On' is a decent song 'cause it makes the effort to steadily build up and make its atmosphere and pathos feel at least authentic
  • did you know that Kanye West is in the music video for "The Reason"
  • Jane said:

did you know that Kanye West is in the music video for "The Reason"

I'm going to assume this is true, but it's innately unverifiable