Remember the days before web fonts?

Like, otherwise professional-looking websites would save text as static image files because they wanted it to display in a font they knew wasn't available on most systems. What a hacky solution.

Also Microsoft distributed a "Core Fonts for the Web" pack to try and get at least some widely available font options...and Linux distros are still distributing that package 20 years later because it's the easiest and least legally questionable way to obtain the Microsoft fonts.

Comments

• edited 2017-04-21 19:21:08
    ALL COURIER NEW AND TIMES NEW ROMAN ALL THE TIME
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Courier New sucks.

Courier, as a design, is fine. But Courier New is an awful implementation of it.
  • Courier New sucks.

Courier, as a design, is fine. But Courier New is an awful implementation of it.

How does it suck?

Though I like FixedSys more anyway.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    courier new
  • more like, oldrier new
    I kinda like courier new since it makes me look like I'm typing on an old typewriter.

It's very timey.

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

Courier New sucks.

How does it suck?

Though I like FixedSys more anyway.
    Courier New was digitized directly from the ball of an IBM typewriter.

The problem, though, is that the typewriter dies are thinner than the intended lettering, because the designers new that the actual ink would make it thicker.

So, as a result, Courier New is this thin, wiry version of Courier. Windows has some hacks that make it look readable, but on any other platform it's easily one of the worst version of Courier.
  • it's still the most widely available fixed-width font, so that still makes it worth something
  • also this reminds me of reading Ben Siron's FF2 US handbook
    what hacks are these
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I just bold it, mostly.