Which of these traffic signal configurations is most common where you live?

Comments

• kill living beings
    mast arm. i think of hanging on lines as an east coast thing, which is probably not accurate.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    it used to be one of the first two, though VDOT has been steadily converting things to mast arms wherever possible since at least the 1990s.
  • number 3, I think? Although I never really paid attention to it
  • It's a one-sided double-minded mirror with no reflection.
    Mast arm here in SA, I'm pretty sure.
  • “His thoughts were red thoughts, and his teeth were white.”
    Mast arm, although when you get into Philly the box span is way more common.
  • I've never seen the first one in my life. I think it's pretty much exclusively the third one hereabouts.
  • “His thoughts were red thoughts, and his teeth were white.”
    I have definitely seen the diagonal span but it's quite rare and I've mostly seen it in really old areas, like out in the residential district near Penn's Landing.
  • Thou shalt not be afraid; I am with you.
    amazingly, this is something i haven't paid attention to yet with regards to frequency, but i've definitely seen all three styles before
  • “And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.” – Roald Dahl
    The diagonal span is fairly common in Ohio, albeit usually in rural areas or small communities.

• Hope will exist in a problematic relationship with reason
    what im learning here is that apparently in other places in the world people love hanging large heavy objects on strings above where their cars go? terrifying
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-04-21 03:24:52
    Mast arm in the sensible places that finally figured out heavy winds are a thing in the valley.  I don't think I've seen diagonal since I was little.

Wait, there's one weirdass K-intersection back home that has sort of a triangle of lights strung up...somehow.
  • https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2131977,-123.3434365,3a,75y,53.81h,83.48t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGLzZm9ij6lTkc9k3RbyL9Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Looks like they've simplified it since I lived there.  I think it used to be a 4-way, but now it's just an oddly-angled T.
  • The diagonal span is fairly common in Ohio, albeit usually in rural areas or small communities.

Actually looking at those pictures I feel like I actually have seen such a thing and maybe just not noticed the diagonal-ness. It's definitely not common in places I've been, though.