Is winter really that bad?

I always enjoyed the cold myself, but a lot of people seem to hate winter...

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    I feel like you have made this thread ten times
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    and the answer is always: yes, it is that bad.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Odradek said:

have i?

I would have asked this in the main thread but I know not everyone here posts in it >_<
    No

No it is not bad

It is never bad, nobody has any fucking right to tell you what climate you should prefer, and if anyone tries to, you have the right to tell them to fuck off, and this should go without saying, climate preference is not a intersubjectively normative matter
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Winter is OK but I don't like driving in snow or ice.
  • edited 2017-04-14 22:33:58
    it's interesting

let's see:
    * cold outside.  this means you basically have to bundle up before heading outdoors.  does put a bit of a damper on going out.
    * when it's winter, the day ends earlier, so if you're someone who likes a lot of sunlight, either you get up early and make the most of your day or you're gonna feel that days go by faster than they should.
    * snow is fun when it first falls and is fluffy.  however, after it accumulates, then each day (assuming it's not too cold) it melts a bit during the day and refreezes at night, becoming plate ice, which is less fun.
    * also, while you CAN walk through snow, much of our transportation involves cars, and cars can't drive through snow very well.  so, as a society, either we invest in snowmobiles or in snowplowing trucks and lots of salt/sand/dirt.
    * shoveling snow is good for exercise though.  assuming the snow hasn't solidified yet.  If it has, enjoy attempting to stab ice.  also kinda bad for asphalt.
    * also, icicles may pose a hazard.  I once broke a piece of siding on our house by letting an icicle fall on it.
    * running across solidified snow can be fun, but is slippery.  fun if you wanna exercise your balance though.
    * when spring starts to come, though, it's REALLY gratifying, in a way that doesn't happen in a tropical climate.  in a tropical climate, everything feels samey year-round, unless you're paying attention to rainy vs. dry seasons.
    * in general, too, you feel you huddle a lot more, and you can take that as a sign to curl up in bed more or to exercise more or even cuddle with your loved ones.
    * and you don't have to worry about air conditioning.  on the other hand, you do need heating.
    * colder climates are able to kill off a lot of pests because the temperature does drop below freezing.  mosquitoes generally can't survive, for example.  this eliminates a number of disease vectors actually.
    * colder climates have more mammalian wildlife and fewer reptiles, relatively speaking.  somewhat less species diversity overall.

FYI in tropical climates there still are deciduous trees, but they tend to lose their leaves in the dry season instead.  here in Florida that means January-April.
    I feel like I have a different view of winter, living in a semi-arid climate where the weather is a bit more volatile and snow tends to melt faster

Also I run hot anyway, I usually just throw on my hoodie and that's sufficient for me
  • Anonus said:

I feel like I have a different view of winter, living in a semi-arid climate where the weather is a bit more volatile and snow tends to melt faster

Also I run hot anyway, I usually just throw on my hoodie and that's sufficient for me
    ah, then maybe you're just more used to / fit with winter and colder climates.

and yeah, i dunno what winter in semi-arid landscapes is like.  when i experienced winter it was in Ohio and Connecticut.
  • but yeah winter is a very important thing that's actually notably significant when it comes to climate change issues

because it affects lots of tropical/insect-based disease vectors

also the ability of a huge variety of stuff to survive

invasive species, for example, are far more common in the tropics, because a good number of them can't deal with the cold

also it's possible to improve insulation a lot to keep heat in and keep down heating costs but keeping a space cool you just can't get around AC and that's technologically more complex than heating

though you CAN give yourself a breeze if you don't mind humidity
    (and then there's also hot-dry places)
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Anonus said:

Odradek said:

have i?
    Yes.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Seriously.

Not in this exactly similar form, but across HH with separate threads dedicated to it, in the main threads, on IRC, so much of the exact same sentiment over and over and over.
    It's particularly baffling and irritating because a lot of people here and certainly in the wider world already agree with you and it's like you need constant affirmation that you are "right" because someone, somewhere, has a different opinion from yours.
    This thread was a bad idea, I'm sorry
    It's OK, just, please, stop with the attention-whoring thread spam please?
    i'm not whoring for attention, or at least, that is not my intention
  • well i guess i can write up a different response every time
    but fine i will be more careful
  • fwiw i don't mind them

and if i do i will let you know by digging up the past threads somehow
    Anonus said:

You explained a thread title by saying it was "clickbait."

Anonus said:

You explained a thread title by saying it was "clickbait."
    It was a shitpost thread on a shitpost forum
    Centie makes "clickbait" threads all the time
  • edited 2017-04-14 23:57:32
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    You said typing the title actually made you uncomfortable in the OP and it had no attached joke to follow up on it that would actually make it at all funny. On top of that, you make the same bizarre inside baseball O&O reference non-threads over and over again, and make threads about subjects that don't even merit them as a gag simply because you want people to pay attention to whatever random thought pops into your head even if you've said it dozens of times. Centie's joke threads aren't even comparable. Stop using comparisons with your girlfriend's behaviour as an out when people call you out.
    I've made self-indulgent threads about jokes only I get many a time, and nobody gets angry at me, tbh
    But, like, there's clearly a joke there. It doesn't feel forced. It just exists, and sometimes it's funny even if you don't get it/ There's something to engage with.
    It just... frustrates me.
  • edited 2017-04-15 01:52:40
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    To be honest, pointless thread-making is less annoying than the consistent practice here of ending sentences without periods, which isn't even a real irritant.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Anonus said:

This thread was a bad idea, I'm sorry

It's not the thread itself, it's the underlying whatever-it-is that makes you think you can possibly be wrong on this non-issue, and then you turn to us for validation.