Why does DreamWorks Animation even still exist?

As an actual operation I hope it doesn't die because there's a lot of talent there and it seems to be a good working environment.

As a brand name what the hell is even its future? It lost all meaning when Katz bailed. Comcast should really just transfer the "DreamWorks" trademarks to Spielberg and use another name for DWA - if they don't just want to call it Illumination too.

Comments

• kill living beings
    now, i'm not a "business" "expert", but i was onder the impression that dreamworks movies make a lot of money, and that business type entities that make a lot of money usually don't stop existing
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    This was more about the brand name than the actual operation. The operation has strong bones. Nobody knows what the hell the DreamWorks brand even means, especially now that Jeffrey Katzenberg is gone.
    Universal has been canning and delaying DWA projects left and right too.
  • kill living beings
    they make animated kids movies, usually CGI now, with that one face
  • well, it probably means "hey, they did Shrek, the kids liked that ok, I guess we can drag them to this one then"
    it also means "we own the Jay Ward/Total/Harvey characters, whom I desperately hope Universal is kind to"
    also they are still fucking touting Shrek in trailers for shit

god I wish Katzenberg didn't suffocate shit so much
    I actually enjoy Shrek it's just the original movie is 16 fucking years old

In Pixar trailers they say "From the creators of Movies More Recent Than Toy Story"
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Oh man, I loved Movies More Recent Than Toy Story!
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    It's weird that at one point, Shrek was subversive and anarchic
    Odradek said:

It still is

There's a scene where Lord Farquaad masturbates to Fiona while the mirror cringes
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Anonus said:

This was more about the brand name than the actual operation. The operation has strong bones. Nobody knows what the hell the DreamWorks brand even means, especially now that Jeffrey Katzenberg is gone.

From what I can tell, most businesses care more about their profits than what their brand "means". They bring in image consultants and graphic designers to revamp their identity because they're losing money and want the rest of the world to know they've put those money-losing days behind them... Or because they think the market has changed enough that they're going to start losing money unless they can signal to the world that they're hip, cutting-edge company, still totally relevant to the modern world, dammit.

If a company is making money, and has every reason to think they're going to keep making money for the foreseeable future, then they don't care if their brand is an incoherent mess.
  • yeah, brand coherence is just a means to an end, not the goal in and of itself
    well brand coherence is really important to today's Hollywood
  • because it makes them money
  • Anonus said:

Odradek said:

It still is

There's a scene where Lord Farquaad masturbates to Fiona while the mirror cringes
    no, that's just gross.
    Jane said:

Anonus said:

Odradek said:

It still is

no, that's just gross.
    it was probably supposed to be
    Tamlin said:

because it makes them money

also if you master it it makes you look really competent
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    What brand would they replace DWA with if they were to retire it?

What brand would they replace DWA with if they were to retire it?

Walter Lantz Cartunes
    Oh wait I keep forgetting Trolls did very well for DWA