I hate places that charge extra when you pay with a card.

Just puttin' that out there.

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    what places?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    The gas station where I bought this Pepsi, for starters
  • one time I went to a restaurant called Bert's, and asked if I could pay with my card

'yes' says the waitress

so I order an ice cream sundae. $5. A bit much but it was good so I can't complain

I go to pay

"sorry, there's a $20 minimum for cards"

thus did I tip a waitress $15
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Thankfully those are practically non-existent around here.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    The only place I've ever been to like this was a particular liquor store. Everything there was two dollars less if you payed with cash rather than a card.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Jane said:

one time I went to a restaurant called Bert's, and asked if I could pay with my card

'yes' says the waitress

so I order an ice cream sundae. $5. A bit much but it was good so I can't complain

I go to pay

If it helps, I'm sure you made that waitress's day, assuming it's not one of those shitty places that makes them share tips.

lee4hmz said:

Thankfully those are practically non-existent around here.

They're few and far between here, which is part of what makes them so annoying: they catch me by surprise.
  • Jane said:

one time I went to a restaurant called Bert's, and asked if I could pay with my card

'yes' says the waitress

I go to pay

If it helps, I'm sure you made that waitress's day, assuming it's not one of those shitty places that makes them share tips.
    it was the same waitress who told me I could pay by card but neglected to mention the minimum so I think it is more likely that I was had

but, this was years ago and I don't care much anymore, it's just a funny anecdote.
  • The most common such entities I've found are:
    * gas stations, some of which may charge extra for credit card.
    * things like educational and governmental institutions that charge a convenience fee for paying by credit card, but you can usually do e-check payments for no extra charge

There's also some small businesses that don't charge extra for credit card but just have a minimum.  I usually am fine with those since I'll just pay in cash and I understand that credit card companies can sometimes be pricks with fees.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    The latter is pretty much the only place I ever see it anymore. All the gas stations I frequent are run by big chains, and they typically don't charge fees (though Sheetz does give you a discount if you use their loyalty card, cash or credit).
  • The ones that charge fees tend to be in less-well-traveled locations (e.g. rural stops) or poorer parts of town.