Important questionnaire(warning: very important, you need to take this) INFO NEEDED

edited 2017-03-24 16:19:26 in General

What is your opinion of the song and music video "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt?

Comments

• kill living beings
    still kinda creepy. no idea what's the deal with the video, which is pretty usual for music videos
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    It's Not Very Good (TM).
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    It's Pretty Good™.
  • edited 2017-03-24 18:50:19
    Okay, time to listen to this twice, once without the video and one with.  I have heard the song before but not in detail.

1. The song is...okay.  There are some parts where the way the lyrics are set to words are a little grating to me -- a good example is when he sings the title phrase "you're beautiful".  It just feels like those words and those notes were sorta awkwardly forced into there.  They're not even particularly rhythmic, and they way they're written -- as non-chord tones -- doesn't seem to flow into or out of anything, nor be particularly meaningful in being diatonic dissonances to the underlying chords.  Then even after the verse he keeps using this motif...which I guess it's justified by then since he's already used it before.  Oh well.

The accompaniment is nice.

Also, the verse seems oddly short -- like it's missing a second musical sentence, before going to the refrain.

Also, not sure why he makes a false start at the beginning of the song -- especially with the disconnected phrase "my life is brilliant", which just seems to be self-aggrandizing.

2. The music video is Yet Another Not Particularly Relevant Music Video.

I can't tell what trinkets he put down.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    a bad song and video that could be improved by adding crushing detuned metal guitars
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    YOU'RE PASSABLE
    YOU'RE PASSABLE IT'S TRUE

I SAW YOUR FACE
    IT'S OKAY
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I kind of like how it just encapsulates this tiny moment in two people's lives and the fleeting, hollowing melancholy of it, but the melodrama and bland arrangement kind of kills it. I do like the set of chord changes at the end of the chorus, though.

The video is... weirdly dark, honestly.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

still kinda creepy. no idea what's the deal with the video, which is pretty usual for music videos

Dear Klinotaxis

You classist gimp. I worked for five years in a woman's shelter perfecting the art of not being a creep and have taken over 50 sensitivity training courses and have been rated "not creepy" on every site in which men ask women things ever. Maybe YOU'RE creepy and can't take a sensitive and non-creepy man.

Also I am clearly killing myself in that video

Up yours,

James Cucking Funt

a bad song and video that could be improved by adding crushing detuned metal guitars

Dear Imipolex G

You classist gimp. I used the meager allowance of 300 thousand pounds a week granted to me by my upper-middle class parents to perfect the art of both songwriting and video creation. I have seen every music video ever released, have received 12 Secret Oscars for my videos, and play every instrument known to man, INCLUDING crushing detuned metal guitars. I make all my decisions as possibly the hardest working most talented human being the world has ever produced and you have no right to judge me. As we used to say at boarding school:

Up yours,

James Cucking Funt

• edited 2017-03-26 23:54:50
    My dreams exceed my real life

It's Not Very Good (TM).

Dear Fossilmaiden

My life is brilliant
    Your life's a joke
    You're just pathetic
    You're always broke

Your homemade Star Trek uniform
    really ain't impressin' me
    You're sufferin' from delusions of
    Adequacy

You're Pitiful
    You're Pitiful
    You're Pitiful
    It's true

Never had a date
    That ya couldn't inflate
    And ya smell repulsive too
    What a bummer bein' you

Well ya just can't dance
    And forget romance
    Everybody you know still calls ya
    Farty Pants

But you always have a job well I mean
    As long as you still can work that slurpee machine

You're Pitiful
    You're Pitiful
    You're Pitiful
    It's true

You're half undressed
    Eatin' chips off your chest
    While you're playin' Halo 2
    No one's classier than you

Lalala la
    Lalala la
    Lalala la Loser

You're Pitiful
    You're Pitiful
    You're Pitiful
    It's true

Your dog would much rather
    Play fetch by itself

You still live with your Mom and you're 42

Guess you'll never grow a clue
    When it just sucks to be you

Up yours,
    James Cucking Funt
  • kill living beings
    okay
    Jane said:

one of the worst songs to ever chart

Dear Jane

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the SAS, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire UK armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the Her Majesty's Army and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

Up yours,
    James Cucking Funt
  • edited 2017-03-26 23:54:57

what about keeping detuned metal guitars whole
  • I still want to know who Adam Shore is

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jan/19/james-blunts-letter-chris-bryant-in-full
  • Odradek said:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jan/19/james-blunts-letter-chris-bryant-in-full
    wat
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    well it looks like we got schooled!

or not