Comments

• im amazed with how bad how quickly Esquire's style section got

like, it was never amazing, but at some point (i think coinciding with an editor leaving or passing away) it descended into this hideous advertorial hellpit
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Sutter Cane
  • TreTre
    edited 2017-03-23 04:32:50
    I saw this while I was reading an Esquire article for a class a few weeks back and just got irrationally angry at it for being so goddamn patronizing

It's always kind of annoying when sites have popovers like these in the first place, but the ones that make you click shit like "No thanks, I don't want to save money" or "No, I'm stupid as fuck and won't take advantage of this great offer" are especially egregious

also they killed G4 for this shit so fuq Esquire
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    i was reading an article about the trump russia stuff and it popped this up and there have been a lot of awful awful popovers with awful awful guilt-trips but i think this one takes the cake
  • thats not even their worst one

not that i can reme mber the others
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Tre said:

I saw this while I was reading an Esquire article for a class a few weeks back and just got irrationally angry at it for being so goddamn patronizing

It's always kind of annoying when sites have popovers like these in the first place, but the ones that make you click shit like "No thanks, I don't want to save money" or "No, I'm stupid as fuck and won't take advantage of this great offer" are especially egregious

also they killed G4 for this shit so fuq Esquire

G4 was already dead anyway
  • Yeah, but Esquire was what finally pushed them to pull it off life support
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    yeah they deserve a 10000x10000 middle finger for that one
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Tamlin said:

im amazed with how bad how quickly Esquire's style section got

like, it was never amazing, but at some point (i think coinciding with an editor leaving or passing away) it descended into this hideous advertorial hellpit

Esquire's final descent into suckitude happened after their editor of something like twenty years decided that spending more time with his family was more rewarding than continuing to helm the magazine, which at that point I don't think was much fun for him any more. It had started years before when he'd begun to step back a bit and certain key editors had moved on or retired and financial strain meant they had to devote more pages to ad space, but it only got really bad fairly recently.

Which is a shame, because they had some truly amazing investigative reporting and, in print at least, rather respectable fashion and lifestyle sections. It was a depressing decline.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    It's a real shame that he couldn't cultivate a proper successor.