Learning music the right way

Some of you may or may not be aware of my misadventures composing garbage jingles in GarageBand.

My secrets are that I don't know any sheet music, nor do I know how to play an instrument. But I feel like I know what sounds good. But not quite how to make it.

What the fuck am I gonna do?

Comments

• well, you make the things that sound good

with practice, they will sound more righter

that is how you do it
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    That's what I'm doing now
  • see, then you're good
  • Believe it or not, despite my having musical training, I feel kinda in the same boat sometimes.  Especially when it comes to writing non-classical instrumentation, because that's something I've never really learned how to do.

If you want the basics of notation and music theory, I suggest the AB Guide To Music Theory -- it's a couple small books that pretty much cover everything you need to know to get a basic understanding of western music theory.  Doesn't have practice exercises though, and I gotta say I think those were a lot more useful in aiding in retention than I gave them credit for as a kid.

I can help explain any concepts you don't get, as can other people here who know music theory.
    thanks
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    learn a few chords

play notes over those chords

magick
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    @Anonus Sometimes I feel like you approach things with this mentality of "what the heck, I just started and I'm not already perfect? What am I doing wrong?"

Just take your time and practice some more. It'll come to you with experience.
  • Anonus said:

I feel like I know what sounds good. But not quite how to make it.

I've been doing this for almost a decade now on and off and I still struggle with this, my dude. It's kind of part of the process, I suppose.

Earlier this semester I emailed a bunch of pro journalists to ask for advice on how to enjoy a job in the industry for an assignment, and the best tip I got was that you have to be constantly unsatisfied because the drive to improve one's work is what pushes you to get better at it, and I think that's applicable here too. Experimenting and trying things that you haven't are going to be key in making your work better, and you don't always have to put it out to the world immediately after you make it; if you're doing things for yourself (as I do, most of the time) you can let things simmer for a bit and then come back to them with fresh eyes.

You don't have to necessarily get everything you make to 100% perfection because it isn't going to happen, but what you can do is look back and understand what you'd change or tweak as time goes by, and then apply that knowledge as you move forward. As far as my work goes I know I need to do a better job of EQing and understanding the importance of levels because I have moments where the feeling I'm trying to go for falls flat because there isn't enough of an aural oomph to the sound; I started to get a feeling for this by listening to my own work alongside that of other artists I enjoy that employ similar methods to the ones I do and really thinking about what made it work for theirs but not my own.

Like CA said, it isn't gonna be an instant thing, but it'll be so worth it if you stick with it. I never would have dreamed of making songs like the ones on my last full-length when I first put out my own stuff on Bandcamp, and I'm willing to bet when five more years pass I'll feel the same way about whatever I've gotten done at that point, assuming I'm still doing the whole Trevor Whatevr thing.
    yeah...anytime I look back at older work, with any medium, it feels so simplistic, or like it's less than what I was aiming to achieve at the time

and as for music, I feel like listening to music and tuning myself into beats and textures and such makes the process feel less intimidating in at least one way

like I feel what makes music work, if that makes sense