Things that will forever drive me crazy.

.html became a more popular filename extension than .htm, but .jpg remains more popular than. jpeg

The FHWA's document about traffic control standards is called Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, but Ohio's state equivalent is called Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices
Tagged:

Comments

• .html became a more popular filename extension than .htm, but .jpg remains more popular than. jpeg

this one annoys me too
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Everyone is subconsciously trying to forget how dumb a name Joint Photographic Experts Group is for a file format.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    the fact that .jpgs exist and are widely used drives me crazy
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    JPEG is fine for, like, actual photographs.

Not much else, though.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    .jpheg
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    I've seen people save pixel art as JPEGs, too many times. It sets my teeth on edge.

("Too many times" = more than zero.)
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

.jpheg

This was why I never gave much credence to the "say GIF with a hard G because it stands for 'graphics'" argument. If acronyms worked that way, JPEG would be pronounced "jay-feg". :P
  • html has a better rhythm than htm, the vowel in jpeg can be removed without loss of information
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    "jpeg" however contains "peg" which is a funny word
  • edited 2017-02-24 02:57:05

As far as I can tell, "htm" and "jpg" were introduced to deal with the 8.3 filenames that older Microsoft products used--eight-character name, three-character extension.

Since Windows 95, all of Microsoft's operating systems have supported "long" filenames, so that's not really a problem anymore unless you need exact compatibility with 22+ year old software.
    So what you're saying is, it's still a problem. :P
  • .html is far more often seen in a URL, while .jpg is far more often seen in a downloaded file.

So what you're saying is, it's still a problem. :P

The thing is the systems that support long filenames also support those weird fallback 8.3 filenames (CENTRA~1.DOC) so I can't think of any reason you'd need to actually give your file an 8.3 name.
    You put far too much faith into the concept of corporate IT infrastructure being up to date.

.html is far more often seen in a URL, while .jpg is far more often seen in a downloaded file.

spoiler: every JPEG image embedded in a web page has a URL :P

You put far too much faith into the concept of corporate IT infrastructure being up to date.

I'm mostly judging by the fact that I've never seen anybody actually use 8.3 filenames in everyday use, nor have I seen anybody mention that their files called "chemistry report 1 draft alice h.doc" or whatever have posed a real problem in practice.
  • .html is far more often seen in a URL, while .jpg is far more often seen in a downloaded file.

spoiler: every JPEG image embedded in a web page has a URL :P
    But how often do people go to image URLs specifically, compared to webpage URLs?
    Well, that's kinda what image embedding is.
  • MetaFour said:

I've seen people save pixel art as JPEGs, too many times. It sets my teeth on edge.

("Too many times" = more than zero.)
    I did dozens of MS Paint pixel-art doodles back when I was in middle-high school, since I had a school laptop and we weren't allowed to install actual games on those.

Most of them ruined. Because whatever version of Paint I was using saved with .jpeg as the default.