A Series Of Unfortunate Events

Here wE wilL Prognosticate aT lengtH about thE misfOrtunes of the baudelaiRe children after the loss of their Parents and Home to A conflagratioN of mysteriouS origin.

Comments

• Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    what do you think about the netflix show?  i only paid attention to shannon when she was watching the OP telling you to absolutely watch something else, which was funny
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I keep meaning to watch this, since I liked the books...
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I wanted to read the books once, seeing as how Centie likes them, but I was always worried that Count Olaf would hit a sore spot with me
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I am up to the first part of The Wide Window on the Netflix show

I miss Uncle Monty so much
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    We all do, Odra.  We all do.

Gah, each time, every single adaptation, I think, "oh, this time, things will go different, and perhaps everything will be okay", and it never happens.

Books 5 through 13 gave me metaphorical heart attacks as a young'un.  Especially 8 and 12.  Not gonna watch those episodes when they come out, unless they do a divergent storyline.
  • edited 2017-03-19 02:13:01
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Anonus said:

I wanted to read the books once, seeing as how Centie likes them, but I was always worried that Count Olaf would hit a sore spot with me

Why is that?
    Calica said:

what do you think about the netflix show?  i only paid attention to shannon when she was watching the OP telling you to absolutely watch something else, which was funny

Patrick Warburton as Lemony Snicket is pretty much flawless except for the fact that we get to see his face (Lemony Snicket's face is never seen in photographs).

Neil Patrick Harris as Count Olaf is... well, he doesn't have that sense of malice, that creepy feeling of a man who can get past every obstacle between him and you.  

Really, the big thing is that, the books were children's books, while this show seems to be trying not to look or feel like it's for children.   For the kind of cartoony world of ASOUE, live action is, well, not a good choice.  It makes the outlandish and bizarre stuff seem out-of-place in a way that a cartoon would be able to integrate.

I'm still mad that we don't get to see the toad that looks like a church, with stained-glass windows for eyes, and that we don't get to see the single best swordfight in children's literature in book four.
    Aliroz said:

Anonus said:

Why is that?
    Calica said:

Patrick Warburton as Lemony Snicket is pretty much flawless except for the fact that we get to see his face (Lemony Snicket's face is never seen in photographs).

Neil Patrick Harris as Count Olaf is... well, he doesn't have that sense of malice, that creepy feeling of a man who can get past every obstacle between him and you.  

Really, the big thing is that, the books were children's books, while this show seems to be trying not to look or feel like it's for children.   For the kind of cartoony world of ASOUE, live action is, well, not a good choice.  It makes the outlandish and bizarre stuff seem out-of-place in a way that a cartoon would be able to integrate.

I'm still mad that we don't get to see the toad that looks like a church, with stained-glass windows for eyes, and that we don't get to see the single best swordfight in children's literature in book four.
    Anonus's father was abusive, iirc
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Yeah
  • edited 2017-03-21 00:01:08
    (2015 self)
    Oh.

Yeah, that character is... uncomfortable in a lot of not-good ways, I'd really not recommend this series to you, Nonny.
    The good news is that most people nowadays have no reason to fear a rich man who wants to become richer, works in the entertainment industry, operates through blatant lies and cheap theatrics, has a roughly third grade literacy and vocabulary level, and mainly benefits off of people's ignorance and self-absorption
  • edited 2017-03-21 00:55:28
    (2015 self)
    Of course.  No one has need to fear a villain who exploits questionable and spurious news media, or one who gets away with treachery and conspiracy by accusing his enemies of said treachery and conspiracy.
  • edited 2017-03-21 01:25:45
    (2015 self)

I'm just mad that you can see Mr. Sir's face.

Yeah, his constant cloud of smoke was one of the most memorable mental images of my childhood.  I doodled him a lot.