• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I said PM thread for a reason
    Anyone who wants into the Secret Donald Trump Vent Zone just say the word
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I don't!
    That's not the word
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    obligatory

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    And yes, that's LeVar Burton as the cop
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Jane said:

can we not though like

I kinda value this being the one place I don't have to see his ugly mug
    I was just about to say this, but AU apparently beat me to the punch with getting out an alternative, so thanks!
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I want to post the Beatles' "The Word" but laziness
  • edited 2017-02-17 08:01:28
    Crystal said:

Jane said:

can we not though like

I was just about to say this, but AU apparently beat me to the punch with getting out an alternative, so thanks!
    That was actually AU's idea in the first place, before I made this thread.

I was trying to propose an alternative that didn't involve an endless PM which for me generates e-mails since I consider PMs to be of high enough importance to let them spam me.  I'd rather "regular" conversation like this go in threads.
    Oh, I see.

Crystal said:

Jane said:

can we not though like

That was actually AU's idea in the first place, before I made this thread.

I was trying to propose an alternative that didn't involve an endless PM which for me generates e-mails since I consider PMs to be of high enough importance to let them spam me.  I'd rather "regular" conversation like this go in threads.
    Do you want to turn off those notifications or leave the Donald Trump Vent Zone?
  • well as of right now it just contains two messages so I guess i'll just live with it for now

if it does become excessive i could leave it

i don't want to turn off PM email notifications since I don't want to miss PMs because they tend to be used for pretty important things
    alright
  • oh man, I wanted to make a thread like this, except entitled "Our Heads of State are Morons" so everyone can get in
  • edited 2017-02-17 16:11:38
    Alduin said:

oh man, I wanted to make a thread like this, except entitled "Our Heads of State are Morons" so everyone can get in

I would like that, too, but I would probably want to run this by the mods before running with it.  Let me change the tentative title of this thread though.

If this gets approved I'll let you make the actual thread if you want; I don't wanna steal credit for your neat title idea.
    I'd prefer that sort of mockery of assholery be stuck to a PM group, honestly. Easier for those of us like myself or Jane who don't want to see every new gross or awful thing various so-and-so's have done, and easy enough to join or leave for the participants.
    Agreed with Crystal. Like, I don't think it's strictly against the rules, but speaking in my capacity as a regular user and not a moderator, I'd rather not see that stuff on the forum and I know I'm not the only one who feel that way.
  • edited 2017-02-17 18:17:43
    Wait, do you people actually check every thread?  Because just right now, within the top 20 non-pinned threads, I only read 9 of them.

Because I would think it's relatively easy to remember "I have no interest in this thread's topic so I don't want to check it", without feeling some sort of emotional reaction, especially if the thread title itself is relatively innocuous (e.g. "Silliness, Courtesy of Heads of State", as opposed to, say, a thread title indicating a sexual act).  As long as the thread's title stays the same, it should be easily recognizable, and there's no reason it should change title anyway.
    I check but do not read every thread. Kind of mandatory what with being a mod. Considering we lack an explicit thread-by-thread or similar ignore function, and considering the notable fact that thus far the number of people interested in such a thread are a minority, it's easier altogether even if it's only slightly more difficult for myself and others to not click on threads. Social etiquette, in a sense.
  • to be fair, there are a lot of threads for which the number of people interested is in the minority.

i'm just wondering what would be a viable way to get to the point where someone can see a thread title and just gloss over it with "oh, that's that thread about something i don't care about", that level of familiarity, but without going through the process of...i don't know of a better way of saying this, but "reacting" (in general) to content they have a strong antipathy toward.
  • edited 2017-02-17 19:10:32
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    You really don't need to rules lawyer or get pedantic with this stuff. It amounts to a substantial number of people really not wanting to see a heinously awful guy, as well as even possibly impulse-click a thread about him and other shitty people like him, dude. I at least find something like that, as compared to any other thread with minority folks interested (mergers, Star VS kind of, newspaper comics thread which I largely don't care for, bunk history), to be a fundamentally uneven comparison.

It's either self-training or modifying this forum, essentially. Former is pretty amorphous, even if highly valued by me, and the latter is strictly doable but difficult (probably), with the workarounds presented being notably less difficult and easier overall for both sides.

Incidentally I find it a little strange to see a thread about site policy coming from a non-mod, but considering AU prompted it...
  • We already have a politics thread.  We don't need to give the guy any more attention.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Locking this now.
This discussion has been closed.