Which is more Important: Warner Bros. or Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer?

Comments

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    This is a tough one. Before US v. Paramount, I'd say they were both pretty important, MGM being big on spectacle and glamour and WB big on crowd-pleasers. Things get murkier after the 1950s, though.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    To the history of film? MGM, probably.

To me, personally? No fucks given, folks.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Warner Bros seems more relevant today, though M-G-M was more important historically, I think.
  • edited 2017-02-12 23:30:03
    The correct answer is Tommy Wiseau. :v
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    templates like this are forbidden
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...

To the history of film? MGM, probably.

To me, personally? No fucks given, folks.

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    TitleName said:

The correct answer is Tommy Wiseau. :v

and would Tommy Wiseau be relevant if not for M-G-M begetting Hanna-Barbera begetting Cartoon Network?

Nope
    Tommy Wiseau is relevant?
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Historically, MGM, as far as current success, Warner Brothers.

As for me, personally, It's a hard decision, because I grew up with The Wizard of Oz and the first two Harry Potter movies occupying nearly the same place in my affections.
  • Tommy Wiseau is the most relevant. He made the greatest film of all time.
    Tommy Wiseau made Beyond the Valley of the Dolls?
  • See, I think MGM is probably the more historically relevant of the two, but the modern movie industry is, for better and worse, indebted to Warners for its current state.

Personally, I feel WB as a brand holds more personal significance. I think of James Bond and The Wizard of Oz when I think MGM, but I don't really hold much nostalgia for either; WB, meanwhile, has the Looney Tunes and The Iron Giant, both of which I consider formative parts of my childhood.

Cartoon Network's adjacency to Warners is also a big factor, though they aren't always considered two parts of a whole and it's frustrating (case in point: WB Games not having much, if any, relationship to CN's presence in the gaming industry).
    Cartoon Network is part of Turner, and Time Warner is hideously dysfunctional so WB and CN hate each other

Also, Hanna-Barbera is why CN exists, but when Turner merged with Time Warner, H-B was detached from Turner and handed to Warner Bros., where it remains to this day
  • Something that will always be confusing: WB hating CN and both hating HBO to the point where they feel like completely separate things despite not really being unrelated in the slightest
    I almost feel like HBO isn't even part of Time Warner
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    HBO is part of Time Warner?
    Calica said:

HBO is part of Time Warner?

Yes, and it has been since the company was founded (it came from the Time side)