When you mistype a word and get the little squiggly line under it...

...do you immediately go back and correct it, or finish typing the sentence first?

I'm curious as to how people's habits vary on this. I correct it right away.

Comments

• kill living beings
    I pretty much just type endless garbage unless it's something obviously easy to fix like a transposition. and then if it's something i don't care about the grammar of like an internets post i just ignore it, which is why i post endless garbage constantly
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Former.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I fix it right away.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-02-03 08:23:18
    Maybe it's just because I'm a programmer in a non-compiled language and I'm naturally owly about precision (the usual consequence of fucking up is more wasted time than in a lot of other languages because you can get as far as a minute into runtime testing before your typo actually breaks anything), but I tend to get more red squiggly lines from names, jargon, or even the spellchecker's own undersized dictionary than actual typos.  Like, the only things the editor's complained about typing this paragraph are "owly" and "runtime".  As a result I tend to not really trust the red squiggles to do my proofreading for me and I'll often just turn them off.

When I do typo, I fix it right away before I forget.  I hunt and peck without looking at the screen for about half the sentence, but I can usually feel when I screw up before I see it.  Like when you're signing a receipt and it just feels wrong somehow and then your signature is all fucked up.

Actually, I've gotten more use out of the red squiggles for something it probably wasn't intended for.  When I'm writing something to a UK or Canadian friend, I'll turn on the EN-UK spellcheck to catch alternate spellings.
  • I have found the red squigglies to be pretty useless too. These days I basically just tune them out.

In fact I'd rather my browser not spellcheck for me.
  • I finish my thought or sentence before I go back, because lol adhd means gotta finish the thought or it might not still be there with the words I'm looking for by the time I get back to it, and correct 'em all at once if they're *actually* typos and not just internetspeak
  • Depends, honestly. Sometimes I'll fix it right away, but sometimes I'll type a few more words in the sentence to continue my train of thought before going back and fixing it. I rarely finish typing the whole sentence before fixing mistakes though.

I did both of the habits when typing this post in fact.